collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony ID Lyra/Honey Rays misprint figure?  (Read 436 times)

Offline moonfire

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Pony ID Lyra/Honey Rays misprint figure?
« on: August 25, 2023, 06:01:20 AM »
Hi there, I'm listing my G4s on eBay at the moment and I came across a Pony which part of me thinks there was a story behind, maybe a misprint, but it could just be a regular G4 that I don't remember.

Can anyone help me to ID her, I'm struggling to find her in the Wiki. She looks like Lyra but has Honey Rays cutie mark. I think I bought her at UK Ponycon a fair while ago.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Post Merge: August 25, 2023, 06:58:36 AM

Ok, so it looks like she is on the G4 prototypes page on Strawberry Reef. Maybe I bought her from Taobao? Does that make her a fake?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 06:58:36 AM by moonfire »

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Pony ID Lyra/Honey Rays misprint figure?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 08:25:51 AM »
She was not an official release. Several mix-matched ponies like this surfaced on taobao during g4. They are generally considered prototypes or factory tests. (I have a suspicion that the Taobao sellers realized these sell easily and were getting variants made purposefully at some point.)
Yours looks like a Lyra Heartstrings base, but in the raised-hoof pose, with Twilight Sparkle’s eyes and Sunny Rays’ cutie mark.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 05:49:26 PM by Flitter »

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 11:34:54 AM »
Ah, that's Lyra Rays! She's a Taobao oddball/hybrid pony, there were a bunch of them about in G4's heyday. Some were legitimate errors, but I've always suspected this particular "set" was made on purpose - WAY too many turned up for them to be made accidentally, IMO. (Especially since none of the Wedding Invitation ponies used the walking pose, and ALL of the hybrids did....) They're not fake, exactly - they come from the actual G4 factories - but they're also not official releases? They're odd little curiosities, basically. They were pretty popular back in the day, tho (I like them).

There were two other Wedding Invite hybrids that turned up at the same time... Holly Blue/Trixieshy who you can see in my sig edit: below, and a Pinkie Pie/Cherry Berry hybrid (did we ever come up with a name for this one? Pinkie Cherry? I didn't see as many of her), there's a pic of her here on My Little Wiki.

I think it was SoSilver that was selling a bunch of these at PonyCon one year? I remember someone had like a whole stall's worth of them.

edit: oops, I forgot I changed my sig xD Here's Holly:

She was the UK PonyCon exclusive one year, I think it was 2013 maybe? They're the ones that dubbed her "Holly Blue", as in the butterfly. ^^
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:41:36 AM by Carrehz »

Offline Barnacle_lady

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2023, 12:40:51 PM »
I also have the Holly Blue that was given during UK ponycon :) In 2012 I think. I wasn't there in 2013. And the Pinkie Pie with the yellow hair.

But yeah there were lots of those hybrids from TaoBao.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 12:42:24 PM by Barnacle_lady »

Offline moonfire

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 02:14:03 PM »
Thanks everyone,  that's cleared that up for me. I knew there must have been a reason I stored her separately but couldn't remember why!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal