collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Banana Surprise

have her
16 (55.2%)
want her
4 (13.8%)
new to me
0 (0%)
army
1 (3.4%)
pass today
8 (27.6%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Voting closed: September 06, 2023, 05:12:02 AM

Author Topic: POTD 8/25/2023 Banana Surprise  (Read 1382 times)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
Re: POTD 8/25/2023 Banana Surprise
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2023, 02:50:38 PM »
If there is one set that I would like to counsel Hasbro on their decision making process for, this is the set.

The scents. are. horrible.

They are also really insipid colours, and their poses look weird.

Not a favourite. Fortunately my BS is not scented anymore, but I went through a period in the early 2000s that I had so many of her I was literally giving her away.

Scented toys in general are not my thing, imo they rarely smell good and tend to discolor over time (my Sherbet was lovely until her body turned bruise-colored while sitting on my shelf). I also agree about the colors - an ice cream theme seems like such an obvious choice for pastel colored toys, and yet they chose the most boring, non-ice creamy colors ever. Their names also drive me crazy - Banana Surprise, Sherbet and Swirly Whirly make sense, but what is a Coco Berry? Crunch Berry is just lazy (and gross sounding, who wants their berries to crunch? I’m not eating that ice cream.) and not at all ice creamy, and I can’t even remember the green one’s name despite her being my favorite of the set. The UK names are better, but Chocolate Chip being blue and pink still makes no sense. This set is just full of missed opportunities.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2023, 11:50:12 AM »
If there is one set that I would like to counsel Hasbro on their decision making process for, this is the set.

Not a favourite. Fortunately my BS is not scented anymore, but I went through a period in the early 2000s that I had so many of her I was literally giving her away.

I guess you could say you had a bunch.  :P   :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Post Merge: August 25, 2023, 11:03:33 AM

Have, & she was part of my original collection too!!! The original was found second-hoof but I still like her soft colours & her banana theme. I love bananas, but my father never liked them; as a result, I had to leave home to experience banoffee pie

Banoffee pie?   :blink: Is that banana/coffee or banana/toffee?
Banana & toffee, though the "toffee" bit is more caramel flavoured. It's kind of like a cheesecake, but instead of the cheese you have this sweet milk-based thing, & the banana is layered on top of that, with whipped cream to finish. Here's a recipe linkie: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-banoffee-pie
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 03:40:56 PM »

I guess you could say you had a bunch.  :P   :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Post Merge: August 25, 2023, 11:03:33 AM

Have, & she was part of my original collection too!!! The original was found second-hoof but I still like her soft colours & her banana theme. I love bananas, but my father never liked them; as a result, I had to leave home to experience banoffee pie

Banoffee pie?   :blink: Is that banana/coffee or banana/toffee?
Banana & toffee, though the "toffee" bit is more caramel flavoured. It's kind of like a cheesecake, but instead of the cheese you have this sweet milk-based thing, & the banana is layered on top of that, with whipped cream to finish. Here's a recipe linkie: https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/easy-banoffee-pie

:dribble: I want to try that. Thank you.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline FernMariposa919

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 07:45:55 PM »

Scented toys in general are not my thing, imo they rarely smell good and tend to discolor over time (my Sherbet was lovely until her body turned bruise-colored while sitting on my shelf). I also agree about the colors - an ice cream theme seems like such an obvious choice for pastel colored toys, and yet they chose the most boring, non-ice creamy colors ever. Their names also drive me crazy - Banana Surprise, Sherbet and Swirly Whirly make sense, but what is a Coco Berry? Crunch Berry is just lazy (and gross sounding, who wants their berries to crunch? I’m not eating that ice cream.) and not at all ice creamy, and I can’t even remember the green one’s name despite her being my favorite of the set. The UK names are better, but Chocolate Chip being blue and pink still makes no sense. This set is just full of missed opportunities.

The green one is Peppermint Crunch! She and Sherbet were my childhood ponies. She had a (obviously) minty spell, but I don't remember Sherbet's scent...does ice cream even have a scent? Crunch Berry reminds me of the Captian Crunch cereal..

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »
Literally just saw the bunch of bananas xDDD

The names of this set are a whole mystery in their own right tbh. That mystery is pretty much the only reason why I haven't just disregarded them completely, as they are fairly disappointing as toys in my opinion.

...There is a lot of name swappage and name changeage and weird on card fontage with this set in the US release. Seems pretty clear that Cherry Berry was originally a US name (according to the photo, for Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet) as well, which is backed up by the fact G4 used it, even though in G1 it only made it to the UK.

The weird capitalisation/not capitalisation on names for this set in the US also suggests some changes happened.

And the misnaming on the UK inserts and in the UK comic just add to that as well.

I think they spent too long sniffing the ponies and got themselves confused :/
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2023, 04:12:13 PM »

The names of this set are a whole mystery in their own right tbh. That mystery is pretty much the only reason why I haven't just disregarded them completely, as they are fairly disappointing as toys in my opinion.

...There is a lot of name swappage and name changeage and weird on card fontage with this set in the US release. Seems pretty clear that Cherry Berry was originally a US name (according to the photo, for Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet) as well, which is backed up by the fact G4 used it, even though in G1 it only made it to the UK.

The weird capitalisation/not capitalisation on names for this set in the US also suggests some changes happened.

And the misnaming on the UK inserts and in the UK comic just add to that as well.

Here's the catalog page on MLW, along with the Sherbet/Sorbet Surprise on the Cherry Berry card.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:213.jpg

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2023, 04:23:38 PM »

:lmao:

Offline Peepersponies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 08:28:25 PM »
Omg, I'm surprised to see that people aren't fans of Banana Surprise and the Sundae Best ponies- I adore them!!! They're the first set of ponies that I'm trying to collect all of (on that note- if anyone who hates the sundae best ponies happens to have some they're looking to get rid of... feel free to toss them my way LOL!)

I think Banana has AWESOME colors- although mines hair is much more teal than the green from this pic! And I had no idea they were scented! None of mine have smelled at all... hopefully I'll get to see one that still has its scent soon!
[formerly @fishkisser]

Offline Heart Of Midnight

• The Happy Birthday pony!
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2023, 01:28:46 PM »
Omg, I'm surprised to see that people aren't fans of Banana Surprise and the Sundae Best ponies- I adore them!!! They're the first set of ponies that I'm trying to collect all of (on that note- if anyone who hates the sundae best ponies happens to have some they're looking to get rid of... feel free to toss them my way LOL!)

I think Banana has AWESOME colors- although mines hair is much more teal than the green from this pic! And I had no idea they were scented! None of mine have smelled at all... hopefully I'll get to see one that still has its scent soon!

It's great to hear that someone else likes these as much as I do! :heart:  I've also been surprised by this dislike of these ponies. :wow:

I'm not a fan of the color pink, but Banana Surprise is a really sweet looking pony and this color suits her well. :inlove:
I really like the symbols of the ponies in this series. They stand out well from the rest of the pony crowd. :cool:
:zzz:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2023, 06:19:26 PM »
I have her for sale right now on ebay.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2023, 07:23:09 PM »
The US commercial for these has always amused me because a girl sniffs her pony and then puts her nose in her ice cream and nods her head to confirm "ponies smell like ice cream."  I had Coco Berry/Chocolate Chip growing up and I never thought she smelled like ice cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcpORaORYg

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2023, 03:52:15 AM »
I think she is really cute. She and Swirly Whirly are girlfriends ❤️
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2023, 09:05:35 AM »
The US commercial for these has always amused me because a girl sniffs her pony and then puts her nose in her ice cream and nods her head to confirm "ponies smell like ice cream."  I had Coco Berry/Chocolate Chip growing up and I never thought she smelled like ice cream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FcpORaORYg

Ponyfan

:satisfied:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal