collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Rehairing a Brush and grow pony  (Read 448 times)

Offline Primaltimediamond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
Rehairing a Brush and grow pony
« on: August 23, 2023, 12:29:29 PM »
Hi everyone been a while since I signed in oops! But I recently bought some new ponies and as a bonus was given a Star Gleamer, it didn't take me long to figure out what she was when I noticed her head making a little clicking sound when I twisted it and her tail getting shorter, a brush n grow pony! Very neat, never owned one of these and didn't think i would!

now she is missing some plugs and of course the tinsel in her mane has broken off or gone all ruffled, now I wonder is it possible to remove the head without breaking the mechanism inside? besides her mane she's looking alright, has some mystery stains i need to take a look at, but generally seems she just needs some TLC just would love to fix up her mane if possible

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Rehairing a Brush and grow pony
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2023, 03:56:30 PM »
Yes, you can do it :) Here's instructions from MLP Preservation Project - http://www.mlppreservationproject.com/misc#BrushNGrow
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 11:29:12 PM »
It's hard but doable. If doing the head only, you carefully prise it off the head part of the mechanism, then root, seal the hair, then glue back on with durable glue. It's harder if you need to do the tail though, as there's a specific way the head-part fits on, & a specific way the tail fits through.
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 04:39:15 AM »
aah thank you guys, I think I'll keep her for later for now and work on some easier projects but I'll def keep it in mind, hope it goes well

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 01:53:30 AM »
Any pony can be rehaired too without cutting the head off. You simply cut the affected plugs as short as possible and pull the rest inside the head. Then you prepare in a hair plug with a knot in the middle and push that gently in the head with the rehairing tool. Cool and easy for several plugs only. I wouldn't do that with a full head. 

In general you will break the mechanism when removing the head yes but with the right glue (epoxy - no super glue) you glue back the tiny piece and can put her back together.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 01:55:28 AM by pandabear_chan »

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 08:10:15 AM »
Any pony can be rehaired too without cutting the head off. You simply cut the affected plugs as short as possible and pull the rest inside the head. Then you prepare in a hair plug with a knot in the middle and push that gently in the head with the rehairing tool. Cool and easy for several plugs only. I wouldn't do that with a full head. 

In general you will break the mechanism when removing the head yes but with the right glue (epoxy - no super glue) you glue back the tiny piece and can put her back together.

You can? Oh I will have to test it on some of my other ponies! Got a few missing their front locks (they were snipped) and got a yum yum with one or two missing plugs thanks for the tip! :D Knowing me I'd def end up breaking the mechanism and that would be a shame

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal