collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Acetone on ponies -yay or nay?  (Read 821 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Acetone on ponies -yay or nay?
« on: August 08, 2023, 12:04:05 PM »
Hi everyone!

I’m not very knowledgeable about cleaning and restoring ponies, and it has been awhile since I was truly active in the community. I have used acetone on some ponies years ago (2006), but from discussions around that time or perhaps a Little later I understood that you shouldn’t use acetone on old pony plastic.

But I was on a FB group recently and someone recommended to a non-collector to use acetone on her ponies to clean them for selling. I commented and adviced against it (both because it is easy to do something wrong when you are not a collector and because I honestly believed that acetone is not good for pony plastic).

The other collector was really surprised at my comment. She also asked other collectors who seemed surprised over the suggestion that acetone could be bad for plastic. So now I am really confused. I know I am a old-timer, and things can have happened that I am unaware of. It has been a while since I restored ponies- but what is your understanding about acetone? Do you use it? Or don’t you?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 12:06:35 PM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Acetone on ponies -yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2023, 12:25:30 PM »
I have never had a problem with acetone. It was the zit cream that's bad, I forgot the name of the active ingredient that cause damage in it

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2023, 12:31:39 PM »
I only use acetone to remove paint from baits, and I make sure to use it sparingly--generally applying what I need with a q-tip--and then I wash it off as soon as I am done removing the paint.  Didn't someone do an experiment where they put a pony in acetone for a long time and it expanded?  Or am I thinking of something else?  I think they used a Peachy as their bait for it.

If I was selling a pony, I would do a general clean with soap and water and allow the buyer to decide if they wanted to use harsher chemicals to get off other marks.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2023, 12:35:51 PM »
I should have clarified, Acetone is indeed paint stripper and should be used to remove paint marks only (care needs to be taken around symbols), it wont remove mold and embedded stains.

I can also be used for dissolving glue on flocked ponies

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 01:05:57 PM »
Didn't someone do an experiment where they put a pony in acetone for a long time and it expanded?

Yes, I remember that (it wasn't me though). But I did have acetone eat through a pony head once. I put it inside to soften the glue (it was a G3) and kinda... forgot about it. The next day, the acetone had made pock marks and melted through.

So yeah. I use it on baits. I wouldn't risk it with a collection pony just because things can go wrong.

Also, I saw someone ask about glue recently, and some people suggested super glue, but super glue has acetone in it :P It will eat away at the plastic slowly. I just wouldn't use it for anything I want to keep and definitely don't use it on a rare pony or one that has sentimental value.

edit: What can be used instead to clean and disinfect is rubbing alcohol. It's safe around symbols but will remove dirt and grime.

edit2: Oh, also wash the pony when you're done with whatever you do to it. I use dawn dish soap and a soft toothbrush.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 01:08:41 PM by BlackCurtains »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 03:29:31 PM »
Thank you, guys! So I wasn’t totally off then *puh*. It’s nice to know as my memory is crap, and I was a little worried I remembered it totally wrong. Although it might not sees to be as bad as I remembered it :lol:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 01:42:36 AM »
it's fine for the plastic but one wrong swipe and a symbol/eye/etc is gone so i also wouldnt recommend it to a non collector 😭

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2023, 01:02:37 PM »
Personally I don't believe that organic solvents are safe to use on ponies. When I worked in museums we were told that dish soap also has an impact on anything it comes into contact with. Soft soap and warm water, then toothpaste, then magic erasers are my suggestions in increasing order of strength. Sunlight, extremes of temperature, temperature fluctuations, high humidity and other chemicals such as peroxide also have an impact. The damage only becomes apparent after a time delay. Sunfading of yellow ponies is a good example of this - the pony colour is freshened up but the effect is only temporary and long-term the pony degrades faster.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2023, 11:43:02 PM »
Acetone should be okay as long as the pony isn't soaked in it (like, in the literal sense. Submerged.). . . From the doll customizing tutorials I've seen, soaking vinyl in acetone will cause it to shrink.  But that would be hard to do by accident anyway. ;)

Acne cream is the one to avoid.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2023, 11:49:32 AM »
I don't use straight acetone for cleaning, but I do use nail polish remover pads for getting glue off during deflocking, and they're really effective for that. wash them off with soap and water afterwards, and I haven't had any problems afterwards, so I wouldn't completely discount acetone, but definitely use with caution  ;)

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 01:28:59 PM »
I don't use a ton of acetone to clean ponies. I really only use it to remove marks that won't come off with a magic eraser or rubbing alcohol. Whenever I do use acetone I rinse the pony off thoroughly with soap and water right after the marks are removed.

All of my ponies that had acetone used on them have held up fine for the past 7-8 years. 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline BomChorom

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2023, 07:30:14 AM »
I always used just water and soap to clean ponies. I would use acetone to repair pen markings/smudges and stuff. People must be cautious though cause it can erase the symbols :huh: :huh: :huh:

Offline Raindrop

• Trade Count: (+299)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2023, 02:45:54 PM »
Acetone is highly volatile.  I believe it is relatively safe used in small quantities to remove surface paint and marks, because it quickly evaporates.  I haven't seen any evidence of it soaking in/reacting with pony plastic unless there was prolonged contact (like soaking in an acetone bath, which does affect the plastic, since it is a pretty strong organic solvent).  Obviously it does remove eye and symbol paint, blush, etc., so should be used with care.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal