collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Insanely high priced ponies on Ebay  (Read 3197 times)

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
Insanely high priced ponies on Ebay
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:33:27 AM »
Is this a new trend?! It annoys me a bit :huh:
Someone's asking insanely prices for pony's with loose backcards.
$100 &up.... come on!

And yes, the more 'special ponies'  even go higher. Where's the laugh button...?

Linking to auctions not allowed, so i'd say; go Ebay (that rhymes :) )

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Insanely high priced ponies on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:38:46 AM »
I think it's partly because eBay's current system "rewards" people who put up BINs (Buy It Now) prices as much as it rewards actual auctions.   And I think that it has increased the BIN length from a default of 7 days to a default of 30 days.  (I could be wrong on this.)

So if you don't need to sell something quickly, it can be more profitable to put a pony up for a high BIN.  It will be up for 30 days and you only need one person to be willing to pay that price.  If it doesn't sell then you have not made any money, but might still be ahead over someone only paying $1 for a pony that is worth much more, which does sometimes happen.

Some prices are still flatout crazy, for sure.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline BrightIdea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:41:57 AM »
I keep seeing crazy prices, too, like ponies with the backcard (not even in the package) for like 500 dollars more than they are worth.

I am trying to find this one pony, but I can't exactly afford it with such over-inflated prices. Makes me wonder if people actually want to sell their items.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline invaderhorizongreen

• Trade Count: (+130)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
I think they are delusional about their worth, and use the crazy grandma cat lady price guide for help.

Offline Daiyuflower

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 10:55:20 AM »
I think I know the one ebay seller you guys are talking about.  He had an Applejack with backcard listed with a starting bid of $250 >_<  If you read the description, he claims he is selling his wife's collection and that the ponies were all decarded by her and never played with; apparently this is to fund his kids' education.  I agree that he's delusional. 

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
I think it's partly because eBay's current system "rewards" people who put up BINs (Buy It Now) prices as much as it rewards actual auctions.   And I think that it has increased the BIN length from a default of 7 days to a default of 30 days.  (I could be wrong on this.)

So if you don't need to sell something quickly, it can be more profitable to put a pony up for a high BIN.  It will be up for 30 days and you only need one person to be willing to pay that price.  If it doesn't sell then you have not made any money, but might still be ahead over someone only paying $1 for a pony that is worth much more, which does sometimes happen.

Some prices are still flatout crazy, for sure.

Ah, i don't sell over there, so i had no idea... But still. Those sellers could make the bidding start at a reasanoble price, so they won't have the risk to end up with little money for a valuable pony. The fun part is, i don't think anyone pays the ridiculous price. The items keep coming back once in awhile from the same seller, with same picture and everything. Lots of sellers do not sell their items because of their asking price. I'd say; save yourself the time! :)

I keep seeing crazy prices, too, like ponies with the backcard (not even in the package) for like 500 dollars more than they are worth.

Yes, this is exactly what i mean! Not even a little overpriced, but big time.

Offline FantasticFirefly

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Loves Accessories!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:59 AM »
I saw those listings, my jaw dropped.
A few years back I snagged a BIN on a pony some considered by people who don't like/care for the set insanely priced. The pony had her own thread here and some people were baffled at someone spending that kind of money for her. :) Some things are priced high for a reason, as I know both the seller and myself got a good deal out of that pony, and don't mind that there are some who think I was a little nuts. but agreed- some of the auctions/BIN's you are talking about on ebay are crazily priced! Perhaps the Pricing is high because of the sentimental value?

While I understand the sentimental attachment and feel for any collector faced with having to liquidate, They're not going to sell plain and simple when overpriced by hundreds of dollars each. Unless one or two become holiday fluke sales, like someone who doesn't know any better picking up a gift for a collector.

While they are easy enough to skip over in the search results, I do understand the frustration of ebay getting flooded with these listings. Because of listings like these I bring a phone with an ebay app while I'm ponyhunting. So, if need be I could show booth owners what things really sell to buyers for. You know, the dealers who will talk to you like you haven't got a clue and tell you how rare and valuable poor condition, or super common ponies are, while referencing these super overpriced ebay listings that never sell.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 01:30:10 PM by FantasticFirefly »

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:15:03 PM »
This is just a quick reminder to not bash, call out or call the sellers names (not that anyone has yet) for the over priced auctions :) As long as we keep it civil, then we will be ok.

Alot of times, the sellers don't know the acutal value of the pony they are selling and go off what their friends, family or some ramdom TV show/article/what not tells them the ponies are worth. Sometimes they even generalize what the pony is worth based on what a Punzie sold for even though they have an AJ.

Alot of them will come down in price over time as the ponies don't sell, but others will hold out and insist they are worth way more than what they really are.

When I see those auctions, I just chuckle. They will either get it or not, and maybe I'll watch the auction to see what happens for fun :)
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 01:17:43 PM »
Sellers are entitled to sell their items, no matter what they may be, at whatever prices they wish. Overly priced ponies will simply sit on ebay and either never sell or gradually decrease in price until it is reasonably priced. After all a vintage pony no longer has an RRP and whether the price be set through a lack of knowledge or sentimentality we dont know - in addition some people are willing to pay more for a pony than others so prices for some may be high and for others may be acceptable.

I say just shrug and click by them if you think they are too expensive - you wont be the only one uninterested at that price I am sure.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline hokuspokus

• Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:42:31 PM »
Perhaps the Pricing is high because of the sentimental value?

While I understand the sentimental attachment and feel for any collector faced with having to liquidate, They're not going to sell plain and simple when overpriced by hundreds of dollars each.

I get ya. My childhood ponies have a very high sentimental value. But i know Ebay buyers wouldn't care about that. My loved, Dutch Baby Dolphin with her haircuts would probably not get me a $60 anymore. For me, i wouldn't even sell her for $1,000.

This is just a quick reminder to not bash, call out or call the sellers names (not that anyone has yet) for the over priced auctions :) As long as we keep it civil, then we will be ok.

Sorry :blush: that's why i didn't mention names or such, i don't want to be mean or something.

Alot of times, the sellers don't know the acutal value of the pony they are selling and go off what their friends, family or some ramdom TV show/article/what not tells them the ponies are worth. Sometimes they even generalize what the pony is worth based on what a Punzie sold for even though they have an AJ.

Alot of them will come down in price over time as the ponies don't sell, but others will hold out and insist they are worth way more than what they really are.

When I see those auctions, I just chuckle. They will either get it or not, and maybe I'll watch the auction to see what happens for fun :)

Totally! It would be smarter to search more info on the internet over just go with the words of a 'random not-knowing' person/magazine/whatevahh.

Sometimes, i chuckle too :) So at least i'm not totally annoyed ^^ I also like whatching them auctions and see what happens :)

Offline Oneleo1

• sounds like oreo
  • Trade Count: (+259)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • E-crater Oneleo1
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »

Sorry :blush: that's why i didn't mention names or such, i don't want to be mean or something.

No worries! :) All is good so far, I just don't want to see this become a witch hunt like the last one started to :hug:
Man who wear lampshade on head is bright!

*** Want List *** My Trade/Sale Page *** Rehairs & Deflock Services available. PM me for details :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 03:06:21 PM »
I have also and hate it when I see them high prices! I just pass on by them and do not bid or buy.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 03:57:33 PM »
This has been going on for years.  It used to be people would freak out when a seller listed a pony for $35.  Surely they couldn't be worth that much!  ;)  And now here we are at hundred and thousand dollar amounts.  *shrugs*

The power we have as consumers is our purchasing power - we don't HAVE to buy it.  Don't like the price?  Don't buy it.  :)  If someone wants to feel it's worth that much, then go ahead and let them.  But you don't have to pay that price for it. 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 03:58:47 PM »
Isn't that the truth. >_<
I finally decided to see what the SDCC :muffin: Pony was going for there, and like I figured, fat chance of getting one for less than $120  :enraged: I think it's going to be the same for the favorites set (people are just selling Nightmare Moon for over half of the retail price of the set). Zecora is still low though.

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 06:52:44 PM »
Most of the time I just laugh, but it's really frustrating when it's a hard to find or rare pony who's way over priced. And you can see them, just sitting there, for sale...but for about 5 times what they're worth. :(
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal