collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anime?  (Read 205389 times)

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
Re: Anime?
« Reply #1470 on: December 05, 2023, 08:03:32 AM »
I feel the same way about Naruto- I could just never get into it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: December 05, 2023, 09:02:25 AM »
That's funny you mention Naruto - I was *this* close to including that in my post too X3

Honestly a lot of the popular/mainstream series don't really do it for me. I wish more shoujo stuff (esp. mahou shoujo/magical girl) was released in the UK!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1472 on: December 05, 2023, 11:17:40 AM »
I could insert my rant about how a lot of not great but 'popular' (and mostly aimed at guys) stuff gets adapted properly while good stuff like Akatsuki no Yona is still awaiting season 2...but I won't. Ahem.

I never got into Naruto.

I was absolutely on board with Bleach, until the final arc, which trashed the characters, timeline and continuity, and was just a bit rubbish. (But did get adapted into an anime, see rule above about popular/aimed at guys).

I've never watched One Piece either. I saw clips. Not my humour, and it's way too long to want to slog through. The fact the live action was filmed in English makes me shudder. I have no issue with dubs. I have issue with westernised retellings of Japanese series. Reminds me how everyone said the Hunger Games was original, as if Battle Royale never happened. (And I hate them both, but srsly).

There's a lot of hype rn about Demon Slayer. Aside Zenitsu, who needs to be hermetically sealed in something unbreakable, so nobody can hear him screech, it's not that offensive. It's not massively creative, either - it follows most every shounen trope in existence. But I can live with it. I understand more why people enjoy that than DBZ. It may not be a dazzling work of literature, but it does have a plot. And Nezuko is cool, when Tanjirou lets her out of the box.

So donghua isn't technically anime (I don't really like calling it anime, LOL), but I have just finished Mo Dao Zu Shi's animated version. Interesting how it differs from the live action. Books next, when I've finished trawling through Heaven Official's Blessing. (Badly hope they animate all of that, want to see them animate the Ghostbusters II-esque stomping around on the crown of a divine statue whacking enemies because it's hilarious.)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: December 05, 2023, 03:37:18 PM »
I haven't watched Dragonball or Naturo at all.  They don't seem like the type of anime I would enjoy.  I don't mind that they exist, but I think a whole shelf full of Dragonball gives a false sense of variety.  If you take in to consideration that all of those sets are part of the same series, the store only has a few different types of anime including some Studio Ghibli movies.

I wish a wider variety of anime was available worldwide.  Dayia is great, but is only on Crunchyroll outside of Japan and a few small clips here and there on Youtube. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: December 05, 2023, 04:12:57 PM »
I have honestly tried to watch Dragonball, One Piece, and Naruto.  I don't care for any of them, but my nephew adores them.  And I'm sure I like shows that other people don't get, either.  But it is annoying when Walmart decides that one or two series is all anybody could ever be interested in, so why bother stocking a variety?  Especially when what my Walmart stocks sits for years so they won't get anything new and if what they have sells, they only restock those titles so they still won't get anything new.  I can still get One Punch Man Season 1 at one of the Walmarts near me.  I'm pretty sure it's from the first batch they stocked.  One of the Walmarts near me (there are 3 within a reasonable distance) has a history of stocking more Anime than the other two, so it does have to do with the purchasing manager but even they aren't great at variety.  It's still a lot of Dragonball, One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.

I see so much variety that has been available on RightStuf and now Crunchyroll that I just don't believe it's because they think it won't sell.  They're just lazy about looking into what people might actually want. 

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1475 on: December 10, 2023, 10:35:57 AM »
Series I am enjoying right now - the Apothecary Diaries and Ron Kamenohashi's Detective whatever the English title is.

I restarted Chihayafuru but got a bit bogged down and haven't gone back to it.

Finally Heaven Official's Blessing had ep 6 animated but still no Qi Rong. I don't like Qi Rong at all, but I want to know how they're going to handle yelling-sweary-brat given all the censorship.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: December 10, 2023, 11:48:49 AM »
I have sacrificed so much of my life to Dragonball and Naruto and One Piece... aurrrrrrgh

It happens when you have to balance things from Sailor Moon and Fruits Basket and others. 

and there's always more Ghibli to watch...  I want a sequel to Pom Poko thank you very much
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: December 12, 2023, 07:17:18 PM »

Finally Heaven Official's Blessing had ep 6 animated but still no Qi Rong. I don't like Qi Rong at all, but I want to know how they're going to handle yelling-sweary-brat given all the censorship.

I've seen/heard a lot about Heaven's Official Blessing, but haven't got in to it yet. 

There's a couple of trailers for the Sign of Affection anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50CI8LVwEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKWymIR_6BA

I thought I heard some familiar voices in the trailer and it turns out Eijun's va and Asada's va in Dayia have roles in this anime too.

Ponyfan

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1478 on: December 13, 2023, 12:58:15 PM »

I've seen/heard a lot about Heaven's Official Blessing, but haven't got in to it yet. 

There's a couple of trailers for the Sign of Affection anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v50CI8LVwEY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKWymIR_6BA

I thought I heard some familiar voices in the trailer and it turns out Eijun's va and Asada's va in Dayia have roles in this anime too.

Ponyfan

I think overall I prefer Mo Dao Zu Shi to Heaven Official's Blessing although I like both. (I have started using the Chinese title for MDZS simply because every version I see of it has a different translation. Just based on the characters, reading it in Japanese rather than Chinese, I think the title is "Ancestral Master of Demon Magic", but yeah. Mo Dao Zu Shi is easier to write. I have seen the donghua and drama for Mo Dao Zu Shi, but I haven't read it yet.

I'm on the final part of the book of Heaven Official's blessing, and some parts of it are fundamentally crazy, but that's true of the other one as well ;)

S2 Ep 7 dropped today. Still no Qi Rong, though he will probably show up next week. I enjoy seeing Mu Qing and Feng Xin squabbling so I guess it's fine. Because I'm this far into the book, I know mostly what happens with the characters so seeing them animated from as far back as probably book 2 is a bit weird. But reading it has definitely helped me get to grips with everyone's name and who is who.

I wish I didn't have to wait a whole week for new episodes of the Apothecary Diaries. I am going to look into the LN in the new year but I don't want to do that while the anime is airing. I can read translations of the Chinese stuff because my Mandarin is nowhere near good enough - but I feel like reading translations of Japanese stuff is cheating, so I would rather pick up the novel from where the series ends.

Sign of Affection...Yubisaki to Renren? I've heard the English title mentioned, first time I've seen the Japanese, it's kind of cute (means something like connected by fingertips? Attached by the fingertips?)

I think Eijun's seiyuu gets around a fair bit. Furuya's as well. He's in a lot of stuff.

One of my friends has been watching anime recently. Mostly her fiance's recommendation I think, but it's quite amusing that she's now talking about it and I'm like, yep, another one bites the dust...

I caught up with Dead Mount Death Play (actually, that's a lie as there was a new ep dropped today or yesterday which I didn't see yet). I don't know still what to make of this series because sometimes it feels choked up with too many characters and sometimes there are unnecessarily fanservicey scenes (though they're not so much offensive as just, well, girls having a conversation naked in the shower...?) but I still feel like the basic plot (aside the first half of the first ep which is horrible) and the main characters are worthwhile...? I am thinking this is going to end on ep 24 or 25. We're on 22 now and while a lot has happened, there's a lot that is still...not settled. I imagine that means a future series...I'm not driven to go read the manga on this one so I guess we'll see?

« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 01:04:40 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: December 13, 2023, 03:33:40 PM »
In English I think  Mo Dao Zu Shi is The Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation. I haven't got in to that one either.

That's really interesting about the Japanese title for A Sign of Affection means connected/attached through fingers tips.  I have the manga but haven't started reading it yet.

For some reason we have Starz on our cable boxes even though as far as we know we didn't add Starz to our tier.

A couple of the Starz channels have been playing one of the My Hero Academia movies in Japanese with subtitles.  I tried to watch a little bit of it today, but it seemed that the subtitles were way off. There would be a line with subtitles and then several lines without before they showed up again.  It was really hard to follow what was being said when the subtitles were missing.  They also seemed delayed and didn't match up exactly when someone was speaking.

I read a rumor that TV Tokyo has confirmed there won't be another season of Dayia for the foreseeable future. :(

I sent a friend a copy of Your Name and Totoro a few years ago.  She told me she loved Totoro. I never heard back if she liked Your Name.  I'm hoping she did as I feel that's an anime that can be shared with people that aren't anime fans.

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: December 13, 2023, 07:00:26 PM by Ponyfan »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: December 14, 2023, 04:40:59 AM »
Mm, that's the translation title used for the books, but the drama is simply "The Untamed" and the donghua animation has another title translation version completely. So until I saw the actual characters used to write it, I wasn't sure what the title was ;)

Mandarin isn't the same as Japanese, but it's probably closer.

No Daiya any time soon? Sad if true :/ Maybe next year.

My friend who is just getting into anime saw Your Name and really enjoyed it. :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: December 27, 2023, 07:33:53 PM »
Small Sailor Moon rant ahead.

Sailor Moon Cosmos part 1 and 2 just came out on Blu Ray/DVD in Japan last week.  Since then the SM group I'm in on Facebook has had a lot of Cosmos posts.  I don't mind that in itself so much as I do the content.   If someone says they bought the movie, their post is flooded with requests to upload the movie somewhere so more people can watch or post screenshots.  What really annoys me the most though is people posting spoiler screenshots and clips without warning or assuming that everyone's read all of the manga so there's no reason to not show major plot points involving the characters.  For example, someone posted a screenshot from the movie along with the corresponding page of the manga and said "why was it done this way."  I saw another post that said "that didn't happen in the 90's anime."  I've read up the Stars arc of the manga so I know the basics, but not the specifics (I do know about the major change to the Starlights from manga to anime though)  I don't want to see major plot points spoiled on Facebook.

The US has a release date for Suzume and Spy Family Season 1 part 2.  :D

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 07:35:39 AM by Ponyfan »

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #1482 on: December 28, 2023, 12:02:29 PM »
I've been watching the apothecary diaries. It's annoying waiting week by week for an episode though.

I love Apothecary Diaries show and manga. I love Jinshi and MaoMao!!

Also I've recently gotten into Sugar Apple Fairy Tale; at first I thought it was gonna be meh...but I found myself liking it enough that I bought the light novel vol 4 so I could continue reading the story.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal