collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I finally get to ride!  (Read 994 times)

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
I finally get to ride!
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:38:01 PM »
I just wanted to vent my excitement somewhere. I've wanted to ride horses since I can first remember, but I was never allowed, partially due to costs, and partially due to the fact that my mum thought I was going to fall off and die.

Well, on Wednesday I start riding lessons! With the exception of a couple of treks, I have never ridden horse properly before. I am unbelievably excited about this. I literally just don't know what to say! xD

Any advice for a total beginner like me? Is there anything I can do to prepare? I was thinking of starting to work out a little and build my leg/arm muscles, does that sound like a good idea?

Anyway, yeah! Bring on Wednesday!  :frolic:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:rainbow: Wantlist :rainbow: eBay Listings :rainbow: Arena Sales :rainbow:

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: I finally get to ride!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »
Congrats! Horseback riding lessons are just so great! While it's been a long time, I took riding lessons most of the time I was in school.

My biggest advice is to make sure you find a trainer who is compatible with you. :) Don't feel bad if you don't like their style! Some can be too harsh. After all, you are paying THEM :silly: And building muscle is a great idea! You will be using more leg muscles than anything. I suggest doing calf dips on stairs to practice keeping your heels down for the stirrups.

Another is to expect the unexpected! Horses are such unpredictable creatures. And you WILL fall off at some point. It sucks, but you gotta get back on! I also had a horse bite my boob once. That was fun! Dx

And most important of all, HAVE FUN! :frolic:
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Congrats! Horse riding lessons will be great! I also will voice that anything to help your legs will work wonders as you will use them more than anything, especially if the horse takes cues that way as well. I was mostly self taught in riding till I started barrel racing and then found a trainer for it. I agree that you might have to work with more than one person to find someone you click with. I mean all of them will be harsh, but you don't want someone that you cannot mesh well with.

I'm sure where you take lessons they will require you to have one but don't forget about finding a helmet that fits you well and isn't necessarily one you have to share with other riders. You need your own that fits properly. That's an important thing to have no matter what stage of riding you're doing.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:42:23 AM »
I agree on a good helmet, body protector and decent foot wear :)

Have fun!

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 05:24:14 AM »
That's awesome! I used to ride as a teenager. I had quite tight hips, so used to sit on the floor with the soles of my feet together, knees dropping out to the sides, to stretch these muscles to improve my flexibility. I think flexibility is more important that strength to start off with as you build up the muscles you need to use over the lessons you have.

I agree with MonstarNomNom about doing the calf dips for keeping your heels down- so important!!

Have loads of fun! That's the main thing!  :biggrin:

Oooo- just saw you're from the UK too! There're some great Western Riding centres down your way. I really enjoyed western riding, more than English- it's way more relaxed!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 05:28:11 AM by Rachel8125 »

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 08:30:54 AM »
That's awesome! Congrats!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 01:12:23 PM »
Thank you everyone! It's only one day away now! :D

I don't have a whole lot of choice on who I ride with unfortunately, as this school is linked with my university so I get discounted lessons, which is the only reason I can afford this  :lookround:

Still, I have high hopes. The other girls are all saying how great it is.

That's awesome! I used to ride as a teenager. I had quite tight hips, so used to sit on the floor with the soles of my feet together, knees dropping out to the sides, to stretch these muscles to improve my flexibility. I think flexibility is more important that strength to start off with as you build up the muscles you need to use over the lessons you have.

I agree with MonstarNomNom about doing the calf dips for keeping your heels down- so important!!

Have loads of fun! That's the main thing!  :biggrin:

Oooo- just saw you're from the UK too! There're some great Western Riding centres down your way. I really enjoyed western riding, more than English- it's way more relaxed!

What's the difference between Western and English riding, I didn't realise there was different kinds!  :P also, if you're from the UK, do you know a good place to buy a riding hat, new or secondhand?

Offline Rachel8125

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Emotional Wellness
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »

What's the difference between Western and English riding, I didn't realise there was different kinds!  :P also, if you're from the UK, do you know a good place to buy a riding hat, new or secondhand?
[/quote]

Western riding you use a different saddle and bridle, and the signals you use to direct the horse are slightly different. I would definitely recommend the English style to start, as it's kind of standard. I just tried Western as a fun change. Going out on hacks/treks was just more fun- there were no fixed rules, such as everyone trotting/cantering together for a certain time. It was a bit more do what you feel like! Though it might have just been the stables I went to! It was 20-odd years ago, so health and safety might have upped the ante a bit!!

In terms of a hat, I just used to go to a local tack shop. There are certain standards that are recommended from your hat:

http://www.bhs.org.uk/safety-and-accidents/common-incidents/what-to-wear/headwear

But I think most manufacturer's probably adhere to these.

It's not usually recommended to buy a secondhand hat, as you never know how many knocks it's taken- which weakens it. But I think for beginners they're generally fine.

Wow- I didn't know I still had all that in me! Hope it helps!  :)

Rachel

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015, 11:47:40 AM »
Welcome to the riding club haha once you join you never leave  :lol:

A local tack shop is good to get your own hat or you should be able to get one through the riding school you are at they will also be able to help you fit it correctly. Please never get a second hand one of you do and fall off apart from the fact it might be damaged on the inner layers and offer less protection I am not sure that if the riding insurance you have might be voided if they found out.

I remember when I started i was quite physically fit but you find that you have muscles you never though you had haha.

Though I found out don't argue with the instructor haha because they have the power to take your stirrups away and if you are in a 2 hour schooling session on a very bouncy chunky cob then your legs just crumple underneath you when you get off. The horse had to guide me back to the stable whilst my leg muscles came back to life  :lol:

But most importantly enjoy every second of it and if you fall off just get back on

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 12:41:44 PM »
Thank you :) my first session was really great! :)

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2015, 07:59:43 PM »
Haven't read all of the replies yet, but as a life-long equestrian and student of classical dressage, I suggest you concentrate your workouts on cardio, looseness in your hips and abdominal strength as your priorities. You absorb most of the horse's movement through your core, and pretty much all of your seat action and ability to maintain yourself properly upright comes from your abs, too :)

Super excited for you! Horses are pretty much the best thing ever :)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2015, 02:39:35 AM »
Never ever buy a second hand hat, there might be damage you can't see which could cost you very dearly.

You must also replace you hat when you fall, again it might be damaged from your fall and so must be replaced.

Safety first for you and the horse :heart:

I'd love to try wester riding or side saddle one day ^.^

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline shimmlight

• Saviour of all Cowkind
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Moo.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2015, 07:23:18 AM »
Don't worry everyone, the hat I will buy will be new :)

Haven't read all of the replies yet, but as a life-long equestrian and student of classical dressage, I suggest you concentrate your workouts on cardio, looseness in your hips and abdominal strength as your priorities. You absorb most of the horse's movement through your core, and pretty much all of your seat action and ability to maintain yourself properly upright comes from your abs, too :)

Super excited for you! Horses are pretty much the best thing ever :)

Thanks for the tips :) I know, I love horses so much, always have done! Just so pleased I finally get to ride them! ^_^

Offline ringwraith10

• Lake Pirate Pony
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Barnacle is my first mate!
    • View Profile
    • Video Games as Literature
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:05:53 PM »
Here's something no one else has mentioned, so it might just be the horses I worked with... but keep all personal objects safe and away from the horse. I had a horse pull my cell phone out of my pocket once (this was back in the day when phones had antennae) and eat part of it. O_o I think he was just trying to be playful, but it was definitely a weird experience.

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 12:30:15 PM »
Here's something no one else has mentioned, so it might just be the horses I worked with... but keep all personal objects safe and away from the horse. I had a horse pull my cell phone out of my pocket once (this was back in the day when phones had antennae) and eat part of it. O_o I think he was just trying to be playful, but it was definitely a weird experience.

Not just you its all of them I think phones, zips, crisps, cups of tea nothing is safe from the four legged monsters  -_-

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal