collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1s in my daughter's pre-school  (Read 3076 times)

Peppermint Pie

• Trade Count: (0)
G1s in my daughter's pre-school
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:46:26 PM »
Yesterday when I picked up my daughter from her pre-school she wanted to finish something so I looked around at the stuff they have there and in a box on shelf there was a bunch of G1s!! I didn't have the time to look more closely at them but there was one princess, a couple of adults and a few babies. It felt weird because on one hand I felt happy that they are still appreciated by kids but at the same time I wanted to rescue them from the kids! I wanted to tell the kids that they are not to be played with! Treat them well! The ponies actually looked ok. I don't know what I would have done if they had a pony I really, really want to have!  :blush:

Offline ponycake

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G1s in my daughter's pre-school
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:53:55 PM »
Technically isn't there like lead in the paint or something? I feel like I've definitely heard you shouldn't give g1s to kids. Dunno how legit that info is.

I would be amazed to see that though!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Check out my art thread here

WTB: US MIB Birthday Pony

Peppermint Pie

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 11:08:53 PM »
I think the plastic itself is less than healthy actually. I heard that all soft plastics (like G1s) are bad but the hard plastic (like LEGOs) are better. Maybe I could trade the old G1s for a couple of new G4s? The kids are more likely to like the G4s because of the FiM-series. I have to think about this...

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:14:42 PM »
I don't think G1s are much of a health hazard, really.

If they weren't rare I'd leave them there, personally.  The kids probably know the individual ponies.  And I think it's nice that they're still played with somewhere. <3
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline northstar3184

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:48:15 AM »
I like the idea of a new generation getting to enjoy the very toys that were special to me as a child. Maybe someone donated them with that very thought in mind.

Offline Vertefae

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • Toadstool Tor
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 05:19:45 AM »
Theres nothing health wise to be concerned about. 

Offline QueenStarglow

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Glow 'N Show Queen
    • View Profile
    • The Glow 'N Show Stables
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 05:24:41 AM »
I love watching little kids play with G1 ponies! When my 4yo sister comes over I give her a tub of toys to play with, including some play-condition G1's. It feels great to be able to share something I love with her and watch her play with them like I did.

My Little Pony Blog: http://glownshowpony.tumblr.com | The Glow 'N Show Stables: http://glownshowpony.weebly.com
GnS Stables Sale thread G1-G4: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378506.0.html
MLP:FiM Gameloft friend code: f52c0

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 11:27:20 AM »
I wouldnt worry there are other toxic chemicals out there that can hurt us that are we are exposed to daily. I don't feel there is any harm letting other kids play with G1s. My daughter does. :)

Offline sweetiebabyfizzy

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony Mommy, with a pony family...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:03:37 PM »
I don't think G1s are much of a health hazard, really.

If they weren't rare I'd leave them there, personally.  The kids probably know the individual ponies.  And I think it's nice that they're still played with somewhere. <3

agree with this too :)

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 01:48:46 PM »
That's really sweet!! I doubt the plastic would be a health hazard but, I'm not an expert.  :P
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 02:39:05 PM »
Aww, I'd love to see this. :)
At the nursery where my mum works, they have a bunch of well-loved G3s who get a lot of attention. It just goes to show that appealing, well-made toys like MLP can stand the test of time & be enjoyed by multiple generations. ^-^
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Eternity

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:29:37 PM »
I remember picking my son up from preschool one summer day four years ago and seeing a whole kid's tub filled with Sea Wees, including a few that I knew were really rare and worth $$. I mentioned it in passing to the teacher and she said it was her collection from when she was a kid and the kids really enjoyed playing with them when they did water play time outdoors. Remarkably, they looked like they were in great shape, which is notable because my son's preschool was specifically for special needs kids. (He's on the autism spectrum, and many of the kids in his class had learning and/or behavioral issues.)

For the record, I told her there were collectors that would buy them on ebay if she ever wanted to part with them, but also that I was happy that my son got to play with one of the same toys I grew up with. :) I think a lot of times these old toys end up in day cares and preschools because the teachers pass them right down the line to the kids in the class.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
I think it's cute. I don't think contact with G1 ponies from normal play constitutes a real health hazard, really. I would let them enjoy the sweet ponies! As long as they don't get thrown away eventually, of course!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

flyawayraven

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 02:57:04 PM »
The health scare over older plastic toys comes from phthalates (http://toxtown.nlm.nih.gov/text_version/chemicals.php?id=24), and unless a child is literally chewing and swallowing huge chunks of plastic on a daily basis, they're not a major risk, especially the small amount used in toys.

As is, we're still not even sure they DO cause cancer or endocrine problems, just that they're "reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen".

Offline ButtercreamDream

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 03:27:06 PM »
I love seeing kids playing with G1s!  It brings back happy memories. 

I'll admit, when I saw my friend pull out her childhood box of ponies for her daughter, and there were several NM So Softs, plus TAF Nightglider in there, I had to bite my tongue to not tell her what they are worth.  I did tell her they were hard to find, but they survived my friend's youth, and 2 years of her daughter's, so I'm sure they'll be fine.  My friend even has a custom baby Bubbles I made for her in high school in the 90s, that I had completely forgotten about, and it's her daughter's favourite now <3

Even as a collector, I've saved my childhood "well loved" ponies, that have minty replacements on display, for my own kids, should they ever be interested.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal