collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: how are we classifying/labelling the basic fun ponies?  (Read 1005 times)

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
how are we classifying/labelling the basic fun ponies?
« on: September 07, 2023, 05:03:20 PM »
especially now with the celestials being released so it's not just necessarily just reproduction/rereleases anymore. are they still true g1s, like should start referring to 2023 as "year 11"? are they technically g4-5s because of the years of release? or are we just going to have a totally separate abbreviation like BF? i'm curious to hear some thoughts!

Offline Eskara1862

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+172)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Fern Fiend
    • View Profile
    • The New Gray Mare
Re: how are we classifying/labelling the basic fun ponies?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2023, 05:35:34 PM »
I personally still consider them "Retro" even though they're technically new. The development and art for the line was created back in the G1 years, but the item was never produced. Hence, it's true roots are retro. Now, if they went off the rails and started creating all new G1 ponies, I'd think we'd have to start calling them something like G1.5 or Back to the 80s or something.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2023, 05:53:36 PM »
They're all retro and not true G1! Retro or BF are all perfectly acceptable modifiers. It's less like something that needs to be put on the G1-G5 timeline and more just a branch. The birds on the branch are all retro.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 07:39:45 PM »
I just call them Basic Fun ponies to distinguish them from the real G1s.  So if I'm talking about BF Moondancer instead of the original I'll say that instead of G1 Moondancer.

For the new ponies I say BF Celestial ponies.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline CuddlyParrot

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Cuddlyparrot's Nestbox
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 07:59:37 PM »
Yeah I like this, it is simple and to the point way to say it.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 08:08:04 PM »
I just call them Basic Fun ponies to distinguish them from the real G1s.  So if I'm talking about BF Moondancer instead of the original I'll say that instead of G1 Moondancer.

For the new ponies I say BF Celestial ponies.

Ponyfan

I do the same.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline cowboyopossum

• Trade Count: (0)
  • So Soft Pony
  • I cannot contain my silliness | he/him
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2023, 08:09:42 PM »
me as well! from my experience with my retro posey vs my g1s the retro ponies are much harder vinyl and their hair is softer to the touch

Thank you Squarepeg and Wizard for my profile and sig!

Offline Crystal-Sushi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Consistently broke :0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2023, 10:28:03 PM »
me as well! from my experience with my retro posey vs my g1s the retro ponies are much harder vinyl and their hair is softer to the touch

The harder body is probably due to plasticiser leakage due to age I'd assume, and I know a number of big hair manufacturers have shut down/merged since the 80s  :wonder:
I finally found my grail! :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 07:23:50 AM »
I call the Basic Funs, and any other retro stuff (like the Running Press mini ponies, World's Smallest, etc) "G1 Retro". (and the McDonald's G2 is G2 Retro, BF's G3s are G3 Retro...) Just a nice, easy catch-all term and easier to remember than all the different companies that have made retro stuff.

I'd still consider the Celestials to be G1 Retro since they were originally designed in the 80s, they just.... took a little while to come out. ;) If they made some completely new characters... I think I'd still call those "G1 Retro", since they're G1 style, you know?

Although I still have no idea what to classify the Retro Rainbow Mane Six or the collab ponies (Twister pony, etc) as :s

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 11:28:51 AM »
As repros or Basic Fun ponies.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2023, 12:08:17 PM »
I personally view them as "new" G1s, and that no generation is every truly "over".

Or at the very least, they're new ponies in G1 style (but I stand by my point about no generation really ending.)
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2023, 02:32:45 PM »
I class my retro Butterscotches as 25th anniversary & 35th anniversary, & the next will be classed as 40th anniversary. Peachy, Seashell, Gingerbread, & Tootsie are all 35th anniversary, & the Celestials will be 40th. The Stranger Things AJ will just be Stranger Things, but in effect all are under Retro
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 12:52:13 AM »
I just call them BF ponies, because it's what they are. The Celestials are BF ponies, albeit G1 ponies under licence from Hasbro. I don't think it's a problem to call the Celestials G1, but they're a bit like the Estrela etc ponies that were made by different companies with other people's blessings.

As for the 'year 11' suggestion, there are a couple of reasons why that wouldn't make sense.
Firstly, Year 1 to Year 10 only applies to US MLP. The years can't be applied to ponies sold outside of the US as the distribution was different, but MLP continued in those places two years at least beyond the US. I have heard some people sloppily refer to those years as y11 and y12, which is nonsense but would cause confusion if applied to the BF ponies. The year terms are outdated and US-centric and we'd do better not using them at all, rather than trying to extend them.

Secondly, the ponies themselves were designed during the US G1 run. So they should technically belong to the year when they were designed for release. At the same time, they weren't made, so we can't formally tie them into those years. 2023 is not 1991 or 1992.

Thirdly, 'Celestial' and the names of the ponies are not what Hasbro intended, and it's impossible to know how close to Hasbro's intentions the BF versions are. That makes them both old and new, with collector input (given Celestial is a collector community tag, not a Hasbro one).

G1.5 is also a non-thing. It's not possible to subdivide G1 without getting messy. The Celestials aside, the BF ponies so far are replicas of G1 ponies. They're not some different sub-line. If G1 did have subdivides, it would be probably petites and Dream Beauties, but as has been mentioned in other discussions, a sub-divide marks a stylistic break that replaces what came before. Nothing in the BF ponies implies that. Even the Celestials are basically G1 ponies and were designed in original G1.

I don't think that retro easily applies to the Celestials because they were never sold originally. So they are new G1s. But just referring to them as BF ponies covers all bases. That's why that's how I call them.

Though we should all know what is meant by celestial, so it's easy to refer to that set under that name.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2023, 04:43:28 AM »
For me "Retro" implies the style, not the character.

So like.. hm, what to compare them to... I wouldn't call, say, Integrity Toys' Graphix doll "retro", because the IT style is totally different to the 80s Jem dolls. Beautiful, but a modern take on the concept, a reboot rather than a reproduction. But this SSC Raisin Cane doll I'd consider "retro" since they're reproducing the 80s SSC style exactly. Does that make sense?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal