collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what is this 40th Anniversary item??? need more info!  (Read 609 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: what is this 40th Anniversary item??? need more info!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2023, 09:57:01 AM »
It looks like a G1 story about the ponies and the girls that played with them.  It could be good.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2023, 11:14:13 AM »
Comics
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline plasticnpastel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2023, 12:30:23 PM »
Yes, comics! IDW currently publishes the MLP comics, and they made a throwback 40th anniversary edition.

This was the blurb: "Forty years ago, Butterscotch, Blue Belle, Minty, Snuzzle, Cotton Candy, and Blossom cantered onto shelves and into the hearts of children everywhere. Now, join IDW as we celebrate decades of ponies, toys, and friendship!First, from Sam Maggs and Keisha Okafor, travel back to the ’80s in a story about four young girls, their My Little Pony toys, and the power of friendship and imagination as they try to save their horse barn from closing. Then, a story from Jeremy Whitley and Amy Mebberson, where Sunny Starscout and her pals learn more about Equestrian history and a place called Dream Valley. And finally, from Tony Fleecs and Brianna Garcia, in 2023, an aunt and her My Little Pony-loving niece have to rely on some dusty G1 toys for entertainment when the power goes out."

The original issue released back in July, and then the deluxe edition is probably a hardcover version with some extra content.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »
Oh, I didn't know this was already out :o I think I remember seeing the covers somewhere a while ago, but hadn't heard anything about it since... Has anyone here read it, is it any good? Can't be any worse than that dreadful Generations comic :p

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 05:10:28 PM »
I read it, it's fine. I don't think the art is astounding but it's also definitely still a comic for G5 or whatever.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 12:30:31 AM »
To be honest, the mention of Equestria and 'friendship' immediately put me off wanting to read it.

I get what they want to do with Sunny and connect the generations, but I really dislike the attempt to rewrite/impose G4 values on G1.

I still feel that G5 should have been set in its own place, rather than Equestria. It feels like a lazy way to make tie-ins with the M6 and G4/FIM wherever possible.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 02:25:15 PM »
To be honest, the mention of Equestria and 'friendship' immediately put me off wanting to read it.

Same here, especially after seeing their last attempt at doing a "G1" comic. :yikes:

It's just... I dunno. It's weird since I have no idea who they're making these G1-retro comics for. It's all so G4/G5-oriented, but it's G1 nostalgia, and those are two totally different audiences/markets? So you end up with this weird, odd mix that I'm really not sure WHO it's meant to appeal to... that was what the Generations comic was like, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 02:26:55 PM by Carrehz »

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 03:41:47 PM »

Same here, especially after seeing their last attempt at doing a "G1" comic. :yikes:

It's just... I dunno. It's weird since I have no idea who they're making these G1-retro comics for. It's all so G4/G5-oriented, but it's G1 nostalgia, and those are two totally different audiences/markets? So you end up with this weird, odd mix that I'm really not sure WHO it's meant to appeal to... that was what the Generations comic was like, anyway.
Maybe older G5 fans?  Those who remember G1.  Or maybe it's for G1 fans with kids and want their kids to get excited about G1.

It also reads like there are multiple stories one in Dream Valley and then others more related to G5.   I don't know. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal