collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Celestial Swirls- Stamping Styles & Mystery of the Method: Can you help?  (Read 724 times)

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
The first new characters in so many years!
I am SUPER thrilled at Basic Fun's latest release, even if it doesn't seem to be exactly what the stock art/Hasbro originally intended for this set. The art made the ponies seem like their plastic was marbleized like those 'hi-bounce' balls, or like paper marbling or something like that. The art of the hair was dubious about it having tinsel or not (it seemed to suggest they did) but it was at least glow n show type of length. (These Celestials are lovely, but their hair is normal length and no tinsel at all) However, none of this should slow them down any: they are still amazing and I am mega excited to have them all and be able to buy them for my out of country friends too so everyone can have them.

But, now that I have several of each character in the house, it came to attention that what they're doing is stamping the swirls on. It seems kind of likely that they're using whatever method the Flower Fantasy ponies used in their day. This is probably ALSO why BF WAS planning to do the Flower Fantasy ponies and then pulled a switcheroo last minute for these guys because new characters are more exciting. (And also the success of the petition of letter writing that took place here at the Arena and also FB & etc years ago) The FF technology was already there, they just switched it to swirls.

What might the device look like?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD2DNSt8Wb4
This youtube video has the wibbly wobbly stamper machine shown that goes on curved, possibly pony surfaces. (Imagine a pony size one of that thing, not big for bowl like it shows here) It's satisfyingly squishy to watch it go. Of course, I don't know for sure what they're doing, but I suspect it and here goes some photos.

Here are 2 of her that clearly have the same stamp.
It does not apply identically every time, but look at the 'hallmarks' of it, as in red marked on the photos. You can see how the stamper distorts a bit depending on where the pony is when it's done. The leg has the same '2 blob arch', the 'jog' next to the lower heart, the 90 degree left turn at the symbol, the 'wide' in the middle.
First
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and then

*The dotted line area is where she took a hit obviously, there's a yellow pale scuff there where there's a 'hole' in the lines. They weren't careful with her at the factory, either that or the swirls are made of delicate paint which would be sad.

But my third one looks like this

(The rest of mine have yet to arrive from Amazon)
Notice how her body AND head pattern are completely different from the first 2.

So what are the questions/how can help?
There's a finite number of this pattern stamper. How many patterns do they have?
There will be the same amount for heads & bodies.
Did they match the right pattern heads with the right matching pattern bodies? (No, the 2 above have the same body but their heads are wildly different)
Can you post a photo of your one of her with a body type that is NOT one of the 2 pictured here?

It will be very interesting to see how many different ones of each that there are.
Will "variant collectors" collect all the variations?
Will people start switching their heads to match them?

Offline DreamvalleyMLP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
This is so fun!! I can’t wait for mine to arrive!!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
They're like little zebras or maybe fingerprint ponies. All a little different.  I can't wait to find one!
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Hmm. I'd be kinda miffed if I got one with a head and body that don't match.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline maycrestmom

• Trade Count: (+114)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
cool youtube find for a possible stamper... my two blue ones don't match at all - this will be a cool thread we can all post are variations maybe figure out how many stamp styles there are

i'll update in a moment here

loves me dem green ponies (thank you Lunar!)

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Oh wow, I’ve seen those stampers before but I’ve never thought about using them on ponies. Super cool! Not sure if I’m looking at the patterns right, but I think my Nova has a different body pattern than the ones pictured here. I’ve noticed her head does NOT match her body stripes which drives me slightly insane. :lol: They match a little better when I turn her head a little past where it should be. Here are some pics of her:

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
here are mine - will  probably need to take out of the box to get clearer pics

but yeah, I do wonder if these will age with head/body mismatch guess we will see ...

Offline shockponie

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
I think the paint *is* delicate. One of mine had what I believed was a dirt streak, so I tried to rub it off, and in doing so, I rubbed off some of the stripes. So just beware. :lookround:
Avatar by Shenanigans; Sig by Shaiyeh

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
I think the paint *is* delicate. One of mine had what I believed was a dirt streak, so I tried to rub it off, and in doing so, I rubbed off some of the stripes. So just beware. :lookround:

I'm sorry to hear that stripe paint is so delicate.  :(  That makes me a little disappointed in these since the stripes might come off easily, but I still love them.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Celestial Swirls- Stamping Styles & Mystery of the Method: Can you help?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2023, 03:48:58 PM »
i am shaking my head that the stamping style is something that collectors found to complain about...  :(
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline maycrestmom

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »
oh dear i wasn't meant to be seen complaining I kinda laugh at my own desire to find "perfect" MLP when there is logically no such thing / beauty is in the eye of the beholder sort of thing

in fact now I am pondering since it is just a paint job i might be able to improve and add some swirls to mine if I so desire so it's all good by me I am just happy Basic Fun took the leap and brought this set to production instead of keeping them as concepts only :-) and I think it is really neat they found a way like how masquerade figured out to do printing on a pony-surface  so all that remains in my mind is to wonder yeah, how many styles of marblizing templates did they use?  I'm guessing at least 4 but dunno for certain it's a mystery

Offline Primaltimediamond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2023, 12:11:39 PM »
it seems I'll have to ship mine over from another country, amazon doesn't have them in my own country  :(

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2023, 11:31:49 AM »
Here is my out of the box stripey pony:

I really love her.  I think it's cool everyone gets their own unique pony.

Primaltimediamond, I hope you don't have too much trouble tracking her down or she shows up on Amazon soon.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 11:33:24 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline SunbeamV

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2023, 01:29:47 PM »
no idea whats going on with these guys but i'm absolutely eating up everyone's pictures over here  :biggrin: they're like little alien zebras and i can't wait for mine to get here!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal