collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 634
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: 3d Printed Ponies by Hashbro (& others, and you?)  (Read 4367 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
3d Printed Ponies by Hashbro (& others, and you?)
« on: October 30, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
So I know that 3d printing has been around for a few years now- but I only recently discovered it.  It is seriously like Star Trek technology to me- you create a 3D image on your computer- and then hit print and you can have your 3d colored image come to life???  Seriously awesome.

There is this artist that has created an Octavia and a Vinyl approximately the same size as the brushables-   

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I have to say his work is amazing (even better in person) and makes me want a 3D printer SO BAD (despite my lack of 3D rendering skills)  The price of a 3D printer was not at all what I expected! $500 for a basic one- and around $2000 for the very top of the line!  Not cheap- but not what I was expecting considering what you can do with it-

On the other hand- this particular artist appears to have taken a very very very long time to get his pony from concept to image to print- suggesting that the process might be more challenging than one might think. 

Have any of you tried it?  What do you think of the 3D prints made by Hashbro?  Seems like a fun (if extremely labor intensive) way of making custom ponies-

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: 3d Printed Ponies by Hashbro (& others, and you?)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:26:10 AM »
It does take quite a lot of time.  You have to model it in a 3d program, make sure it's printable(fix it if it's not).  In some cases to get a cheaper print they can hallow the 3d model out(the artist needs to do this ).  There's also texturing which requires a uv map. 

I've done 3d printing myself and had it done for me. 
I've got a large statue piece, a donphan ring and a beaver charm.

3d printing is all that diffident that what Hasbro does it's just on a larger scale.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
So interesting!  Would love to see pix of your 3D prints if you have any?

There is another artist (kp-shadowsquirrel) that has built templates of various ponies to use http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=pony+3d+print#/d3k5wig 

Apparently you can use his templates to build your own pony- for using in fan-videos or for printing- like this random artist on Deviantart appears to have done using his own home 3d printer...

Looks like a bit of work?

There are a few of the shadowsquirrel ponies on Shapeways and some are really cool (like Chrysalis) but I like the faces made by Hashbro better-

I wish I could do this!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:40:27 AM by Galactica »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 11:17:29 AM »
I like the idea of 3D printer technology for fixing things around the house that don't have an easy way to get replacement parts - like when your cheese grater falls apart.

But as far as "re-printing" a toyline that is currently available is concerned, I wish Hasbro would protect their intellectual property better.  Now, technically, I know they can't do anything unless these artists begin to make profit from their work.  Regardless if these artists are "creating" things that Hasbro has not done, such as certain characters or show-accurate hairstyles, I disagree very heavily with these being made.  Just my humble opinion of course... 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline kakenterprise

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »
I really don't have any great photos of it.  I planned to get pictures taken it just didn't happen.

I went through the whole process's with this one even clean up once it was printed.  You have to power wash the extra material without breaking it.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 11:57:53 AM »
Waiting for G1's. I think you have to be really good at 3D computer design in order to use a 3D printer.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 12:00:50 PM »
That statute is awesome!

Waiting for G1's. I think you have to be really good at 3D computer design in order to use a 3D printer.

I agree- it looks like it takes a LOT of talent and skill

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 12:14:51 PM »
After looking more into it apparently you typically use ABS plastic which is hard like legos, or you use the stuff made of corn starch that's biodegradable. Neither of those are the most appealing for making ponies, except for those with all plastic manes. It looks like the plastic isn't very cheap either. I don't think Hasbro or other companies have to worry a whole lot just yet.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 12:35:12 PM »
They print in "sandstone" too- it does in fact feel like stone... (brittle brittle stone)

The hollow plastic (is this the biodegradable stuff?) is not that great- I got one one of those BJD ponies before they got expensive and she is so thin and fragile I am afraid she will break apart if I sneeze.   She would definitely NOT survive a fall to the floor....

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
They print in "sandstone" too- it does in fact feel like stone... (brittle brittle stone)

The hollow plastic (is this the biodegradable stuff?) is not that great- I got one one of those BJD ponies before they got expensive and she is so thin and fragile I am afraid she will break apart if I sneeze.   She would definitely NOT survive a fall to the floor....

Oh no.. really? I was kind interested in one. ): I guess they should cast it in resin instead.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »
They look so delicate. They look like they would be good for moulds, but I don't think Hasbro would like that.

BerryPunch

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »

Sorry for being so pic heavy, lol. I just LOVE 3d pony toys, and lighten up guys, people make and sell them because people want SHOW ACCURATE toys, like these. Besides, they're pretty reasonable, too. I don't know which type I like more, the painted ones where the colors are way better, ore the printed image ones with fuzzier colors. My favorite's the Vinyl Scratch, fuzzy Chrysalis, and the adorable :muffin: Pony!!! I read that they're very light but are made of material hard enough to be dropped and stuff.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 12:54:13 PM by BerryPunch »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2012, 02:07:07 PM »
Those are adorable!   Thanks for posting pix!  I hadn't seen that Nightmare Moon or :muffin: Pony before (WANT!!!) 

I agree that Hasbro has nothing to worry about with these- they are nothing like what Hasbro is making- and while I do agree they are not too expensive for what they are- the cost of printing with even the cheapest material makes them WAY more expensive than any Hasbro pony or licensed product available- 

I have the "fuzzy" Chrysalis (sandstone) and she is much much thicker than the hollow plastic one- and quite heavy-  but also pretty brittle-  apparently the horn broke before they had even packed her up so they had to print a new one...  I haven't conducted a drop test though- and based on the fact that she broke once already- I am very careful about her, Octavia and Vinyl (they are high and safe from prying paws).

BerryPunch

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »
I wouldn't test it anyway XD

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2012, 02:39:51 PM »
Oh my gosh!!! I love those :)  They are all so cute !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal