collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What did you do with fakies as a kid?  (Read 4903 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do with fakies as a kid?
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2012, 08:34:57 AM »
I differentiated between real ponies and fakies pretty much from the beginning.  I didn't own any and no one *dared* to get me a counterfeit ;) but if they had I would not have considered it to be part of my collection.  Yes, they were a "collection" by the time I was 8 or 9.

I remember one member here saying that someone got her a fakie for her birthday, and she threw it in the pool in irritation!  I probably wouldn't have done that (at least, not in front of the giver), but I would have wanted to!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2012, 09:02:34 AM »
I had an adult Remco and a baby one. I loved those, even though they were obviously fakies to me ! I am quite sad that I gave those away, specially the adult one ! She was dark blue with rainbow hair and white hooves and I think the baby was hot pink... I used to paint them with golden and silver gel pens and decorate them with weird swirly designs :D

Nowadays, I still love fakies and I own a few :) I don't mind everytime I get a bundle on ebay and fakies are in the middle - I end up adding the ones I like the most to my collection <3

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2012, 09:06:41 AM »
I differentiated between real ponies and fakies pretty much from the beginning.  I didn't own any and no one *dared* to get me a counterfeit ;) but if they had I would not have considered it to be part of my collection.  Yes, they were a "collection" by the time I was 8 or 9.

I remember one member here saying that someone got her a fakie for her birthday, and she threw it in the pool in irritation!  I probably wouldn't have done that (at least, not in front of the giver), but I would have wanted to!

I believe that was dear CapnChan. Lol xD Apparently she has a picture of the moment as well. Hahaha
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2012, 10:09:06 AM »
I had some fakies in childhood and some of them got lots of love <3 I remember having some Remcos and I loved their rainbow-hairties a lot! And I had one which was able to change the color of hair and make-up. And I loved thos glow-in-the-dark donkeys <3 My very first pony ever was one and it got stolen in Kindergarten. I still have a soft spot for them <3

Well I have to admit, most of my fakies didnt get that much attention, because I wasnt very creative with names and wasnt able to make up 5 different ones for 5 ponies with the same symbol. That was the main reason why I didnt like most fakies. My friend for example had the same mother-and-foal pair, blue bodied with pink-yellow-blue striped hair and bird-symbols. Well, yeah, how to name them? Birdy, Birdy2, Baby Birdy, Baby Birdy2 ? ... boring XD

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2012, 10:14:25 AM »
i only had fakies as a kid so they were payed with id only seen real my little pony at a friends house once when i was a child and i like my fakies better

Offline Sukeile

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Dancing through life, Brainless and careless
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart page
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2012, 10:34:14 AM »
As far as I remember I played just as much with the fakies.
I only had two official Hasbro ponies as a kid and the diversity of looks on the characters just added to the games :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avatar by Griffin. Carebear by MistyBlue2010 and Pony by Lina. Thank you <3
Join My Little Pony Facebook group!/ My Wishlist/ My Etsy/  Polly Pocket Locket

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2012, 11:14:19 AM »
They were cousins to the MLP... like, over the next mountain ridge-kind of cousins.  :)

My reasoning being that if the Care Bears had cousins of other species, the ponies could have slightly different-looking equine cousins.  :-p
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2012, 11:40:41 AM »
^ makes sense to me LBS!

We had a family of purple flocked fakies.  played with them alot.  we only had a handful of real MLP:  the baby bonnet ballet playset, two "softies" plush, and one or two real mlp.  ... and then fakies.

Offline HavACrumpet452

• Fakies R People 2
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2012, 11:45:55 AM »
I played with my Tex, Steamer, Remco and Buddy L pretty much equally. There were other ponies in my childhood herd but I don't remember doing too much playing with them. They could have been there as background characters.

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2012, 11:46:19 AM »
I had Remcos and baby Tara Toy fakies. They were treated like normal ponies, given the same reason I gave for why Sister Ponies looked nothing like Brother Ponies/Earthling G1s/all the mold discrepancy. They were just from another region and had evolved differently.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline FlitterRose

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Welcome to Daydreamland. No reality allowed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2012, 01:02:30 PM »
I remember one member here saying that someone got her a fakie for her birthday, and she threw it in the pool in irritation!

I gotta say this is pretty cruel :huh:

But still,I didn't have any boy ponies as a child,cuz I couldn't find them anywhere,so I used my fakies as boys. :lol: I slightly remember one of the fakies being a boss of a restaurant and he was flirting with Rainbow Dash all the time  :biggrin:
Sup

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2012, 01:05:01 PM »
OH ! How could I forget?!

I think I had other fakies at some point, but I remember clearly having an Edgar fakie (you know, the elephant) and I loved him ! :D Also, I have two Dollar General babies and I adore them to bits ! I called them Strawberry and Banana because of their colours xD Honestly, I only own Baby Cuddles so having two more babies was just perfect :)

Offline NoPonySpecial

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Beyond the last visible dog, you will see infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
  I didn't play with my first fakie, a Remco donkey, along with two genuine MLPs, because their previous owner had spilled soda on them and they were sticky. (And it never occurred to me to clean them??  :lol: I was a weird kid!)
  My second fakie was a gift from a well-meaning Aunt, and I loved this one to bits. She was the only pony that was specifically purchased for me; my MLP collection was purchased at a yard sale from before I can remember.  Funnily enough, she never did end up with a name even though she was one of my favorite ponies! (eventually I named her Light Bright...about a decade and a half later!)
  To me, the fakies were equal to genuine MLP, but the other ponies didn't see it that way, and the fakies often felt like outcasts and would have to prove themselves worthy of whatever the goal was that day, from being invited to a party, to being allowed to be citizens!
  Today all ponies are equal, but the fakies still may get a few strange glances or rude comments from the rest of the pony population!
I'll put something here some time

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2012, 01:43:38 PM »
as real MLP was pretty darn expensive to us I had more fakies than real  ones as a child. even though I liked real ones more (mostly because their designs, poses, symbols were more detailed and pretty) I loved my fakies and played with them equally, they were parts of the family. as an adult I usually resell fakies I get in lots, but I would never sell or give away my childhood fakies. I am also planning to rehair some of them, or at least one (a Merry Go Round baby fakie) who has awfully messy hair, she was one of my favourites, even beating some real MLPs ^^

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2012, 01:53:52 PM »
If I had been given one I would have showed it love as the gift it was...I was that kind of child :) However, my mum also knew I was a particularly fussy little girl so she managed to always only buy me MLP and ensure all gifts given were Hasbro ponies only...I must have been a nightmare for her!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal