collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 Appreciation?  (Read 4242 times)

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
G2 Appreciation?
« on: May 06, 2014, 08:50:08 AM »
Does anyone else here other than me really like the Generation 2 ponies (by which I mean the line from the late '90s, not the MLP Tales cartoon)? While these guys were not "my" little ponies as G1 was, I remember being pretty excited when they came out (I was just going into high school around that time.) That they were "different" looking didn't bother me; the core concept of "colorful ponies with different symbols on their butts" was the same, and despite the smaller size I actually liked their proportions a bit more (and more importantly, they addressed my biggest G1 pet peeve and gave them visible hooves!) It was too bad they weren't very successful in the U.S. (either because they were too different, came out too soon after G1, had no supporting fiction, or whatever other reason)- I remember the local Toys 'R Us put them all in a clearance bin, and I spent a fair amount of time rummaging through trying to pick the "perfect" pony to represent all of G2 on my shelf. I ended up going with Magic Motion Sundance (a somewhat regrettable decision now, as I accidentally damaged her tail while unpackaging her and one of her eye crystals also became lost recently; also, in retrospect the fused front hooves of the mold seem lazy.) In any case, I don't see them secondhand nearly as often as I do other generations, but it makes them a treat when I do- I have Berry Bright, Clever Clover (yay, a boy!) Birthday Sundance, and last night I found Magic Motion Ivy, which prompted me to make this thread.

So we have people here who became fans through G1, G3 and G4, but is G2 anyone's true "My Little Pony"? Or does anyone else just love them like I do?

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G2 Appreciation?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:06:20 AM »
I didn't much care for them when they first came out, as I thought they didn't look "pony" enough like the wholesomely chunky G1s I grew up with.  It didn't really affect me much at the time, because I thought that I was "mature" enough to move on to more realistic looking horse toys and put MLP aside all together. 

A few months after I started collecting (G3s started me back up, now I collect across all gens), I found that G2s started to grow on me and I do find it frustrating that there are only a handful of them readily available in the US.  My G2 collection isn't currently small because of my preference of other gens over them; it's small because they are so much harder to come by!

I think you'll find that there are quite a few collectors fond of the G2s here at the Arena :)

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:10:57 AM »
I LOVE the G2's   :lol:

I have a collection of about a hundred and spend my free time looking for more!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:21 AM »
There are quite a few big G2 fans and collectors on the board who love them the best.

I (like many) also didn't like them at first because they were so different looking than G1.  But now I think they are cute, and the merch from the G2 line I think is some of the prettiest out there.

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 09:20:29 AM »
My favorite gens are G1 and G2. I love them both equally. I have 82 G2 ponies and are on the hunt for more. :)
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:49:26 AM »
Raises Hand !!!!  LOL  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I'm a G2 LOVER!! :) LOL
I was only into FIM back in 2012 when I started collecting ponies,but after getting most of the G4s ,then I started adding the mane 6  or their closest versions on G3 ,G1 and some play sets of each generation, G2 was last as they did not appeal much to me ,but I did want to add few as a representation of the Generation in my Collection, It was first Sky skimmer and her resemblance to Fluttershy that made me want to get her and then get few cheap ones, back at the end of 2012 I came across a  lot of 6 of them and after I clean them up, they grew on me, and then I discovered all the Euro /International ponies and I started hunting for them, and still am , Ebay and the Arena has been awesome so far finding most of them, It was never my intention to get as many as I have of them :).
I was suppose to stop getting more at the 100 mark at the end of 2013 ,after exactly one year of collecting them,but that did not happen as I started finding Mocs of the loose ponies I have and  upgrades for the loose ones as well:) and even upgrades for the Moc ones or variants on their packages :)
Then an Army came to take place with the Unicorns/Alicorns.
So far I have bought G2s  from :

France
New Zealand
Iceland
The Netherlands
Belgium
Spain
Finland
UK
Germany
Canada
Greece

And currently waiting on G2s from

Japan
Poland
Italy

I keep up with G4 ponies but I have declared G2 as my favorite Generation:)

So far I have in my G2 Collection
 67 Moc 
146 loose 

I take pics of every single G2 that comes home, I have sold some of them after upgrading or ending up with doubles after buying lots .

https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72/photos_albums

and many mini videos from Instagram as well :)

https://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth/videos

« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:06:48 AM by HoustonCollector72 »
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:27:31 AM »
I like your pictures, Houston. :lovey: Hip Holly is to die for.

I will admit, G2 really isn't my favorite, but I don't hate it either. It makes me sad that so many people don't like it at all. It had some pretty ponies too.

I grew up in the '90s, but they really must have been a flop because I don't remember them at all, aside from the McDonald's prizes. It's also possible that the distribution was bad in my area, because I think that I probably would have really been into them had I known they existed. I really enjoyed my G1s and fakies, and it's just a shame that G2 seemed to bypass me until my collecting days.

My absolute favorite G2 is Berry Bright. :lovey: She makes me think of wine, which makes me think of food, and I love food.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 11:30:43 AM »
Honestly, G2 was the main reason I got into MLP. My very first ponies were G2, so I'll always have a soft spot for them :)

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

appleponygal

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:34:27 AM »
I like your pictures, Houston. :lovey: Hip Holly is to die for.

I will admit, G2 really isn't my favorite, but I don't hate it either. It makes me sad that so many people don't like it at all. It had some pretty ponies too.

I grew up in the '90s, but they really must have been a flop because I don't remember them at all, aside from the McDonald's prizes. It's also possible that the distribution was bad in my area, because I think that I probably would have really been into them had I known they existed. I really enjoyed my G1s and fakies, and it's just a shame that G2 seemed to bypass me until my collecting days.

My absolute favorite G2 is Berry Bright. :lovey: She makes me think of wine, which makes me think of food, and I love food.

She's great isn't she? I got her recently for cheap on a stall in town. G2 aren't my favorite generation but I like them as their eyes are different and they kinda always look happy! :)

Offline QueenNatalie

• Sweet Kisses Pony
  • /insert edgy song lyric here/
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 12:56:07 PM »
I grew up on G2s along with hand-me-down G1s, so they will always have a special place in my heart.   :lovey:

jemboi

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:59:07 PM »
They're so incredibly different looking but they have a charm to them. It's odd that they launched such a unique and drastic new line of ponies but didn't actually have a cartoon tie-in. I wonder why that is?

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
Honestly, G2 was the main reason I got into MLP. My very first ponies were G2, so I'll always have a soft spot for them :)

Same here. G2's have always been, and will always be, my favourite by far ^.^

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 02:00:47 PM »
They are not my favourite generation but I do think they are adorable! And I know we have lots of collectors who primarily focus on G2 :) So I am sure you are not alone.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2014, 05:12:35 PM »
Love them!

At first I did pass on them but now they are the funniest ones to collect! They are a bit more challenging and I get so much more excited with I get a G2 in the mail! I'm limited to space so I try to keep only one of each (except my wingers from G1)
Here's some of my G2's: G2 Collection

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline pyrodarknessanny

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • banannas
    • View Profile
    • Pyrodarknessanny's ko-fi
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
g2 ponies are the ones i remember most fondly from my child hood!
i've slowly been collecting them here and there.

ebay has not been kind to me tho  ,  i always get sniped on the listings i wan the most D:

i have a good bunch of them
Clever Clover and Ivy were my favorites.   so was Light heart. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal