collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Stories of people being rude about MLP  (Read 4311 times)

Offline karrie91

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Proud Gryffindor
    • View Profile
Re: Stories of people being rude about MLP
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »
I haven't gotten any grief from places I buy mlp stuff but I -do- get self conscious about what the people behind me in line think when they see me buying a few MLP toys...

I only get that way if I see someone I know walk by me in the toy aisle. I get anxious.. lol

I've fixed this by buying toys where I work constantly. It's not uncommon for me to spend a very long time picking out a new doll or hunting for ponies at work. It really helped me get over that. It's just when I meet someone new.. I always feel weird about them finding out. I don't like people getting to know me. But.. I'm the my little pony collector at meijer now.. so.. I have to live it up. lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Actively buying Buddy L Ponies

keikokukien

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 10:17:46 PM »
Coworkers have snickered about my ponies and said "Oh my gawd, really?"While And then I show them my customs and marvel customs people on here have done and they like them alot. You have to pick and choose battles. And by that, I mean some people are willing to change their perception and somejust aren't. If it is a part of you, then at least you understand you. Hobbies are different for everyone. :)

allhallowsevepony

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
As a guy, I felt super self-conscious when I first started collecting (and I still usually duck and hide when little girls and their parents are in the same aisle as me lol). That said, I've since gotten very used to roaming the pink aisles at stores, and all the people I've dealt with at McDonald's, TRU, etc have all been very nice and accommodating towards me (and even given me some tips).

Likewise whenever I wear my pony shirts in public. But no one's yet called me out for it, and on the contrary, they are a great way to find other bronies out in the 'wild.'

But in a comic book store? Seriously? That's the last place anyone should be criticizing/condescending towards anyone.  :silly:

If anyone tries to talk down to you, just take a "deal with it/haters gonna hate" attitude. Ponies are awesome and you should feel awesome. They're just jealous  :cool:

:grouphug:

Water_Fire

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 10:54:43 PM »
I've been thinking about this since those nasty newspaper articles about PonyCon last week. Sometimes I get a bit 'Oh God, am I massive wierdo for collecting ponies?' and the answer is obviously NO! So what? People collect all sorts of things, ponies are the least of it.

At the end of the day, if it makes you happy and you aren't hurting anyone else, then no one has the right to be mean to you about it. If that had happened to me I'd probably have pulled that couple apart for being so rude!! Enjoy your pony comics!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 11:10:46 PM »
I hear a lot of comments of about adults liking ponies must be autistic or a pervert. First of all, I HATE how people are using autism as an insult, and second of all, some people believe it's impossible for adults to have good intentions.  :enraged:

DJOctaviaSymphony

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2012, 01:06:41 AM »
If it makes you feel any better I'm rather shy and akward in public as well but this happened when visiting LA:

was waiting in line in grocery store with my Vinyl Scratch shirt and small Rainbow Dash necklace just minding my business talking with a friend in like behind 2(slightly drunk?) girls. One turns looks at me and snickers and I ignore it/shake it off. She then turns again nudging her friend looking at my shirt saying" wow look at this cool kid here flipping bronies man, ugh" and her friend just was like "okay?" I just glared at the back of her head luckily she was next and left but UGH.

There's no need to hate someone like that for no real reason other than they like something different. Also, sorry to hear about to bad comic store customer experience ;-;

[edit for language ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:10:21 AM by hathorcat »

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 01:23:42 AM »
Coworkers have snickered about my ponies and said "Oh my gawd, really?"While And then I show them my customs and marvel customs people on here have done and they like them alot. You have to pick and choose battles. And by that, I mean some people are willing to change their perception and somejust aren't. If it is a part of you, then at least you understand you. Hobbies are different for everyone. :)
I've had co-workers who don't get my want to custom mlps and such... one even bluntly said "Really? How old are you again?" Ugh... But then there are some co-workers who are older than me that actually think it's cool I do that.. so there some sort of balance there...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Enolaalone

• Puzzle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2012, 01:39:00 AM »
I'm sorry that happened to you, especially in a comic store when you'd think there'd be more geeks and they'd be a little more understanding. :hug:

The last time I was out with a bunch of my friends we were in a pub garden and there were flowers on the table (it was a reception for my friends civil partnership ceremony), so we were messing around making them into an archway. So when no-one was paying attention I got Baby Quackers out of my handbag and put her in the archway of flowers.

Most of my friends were like 'that's amazing, do you just carry a pony in your handbag?' and asking me what she was called. Except one of my blunter friends who was just like 'why do you have a my little pony? My mum gave away all my ponies when I grew up.' She has a real live horse so I'd have thought she'd be more enthusiastic about a small plastic one, but in a way I think maybe she was just a bit sad that hers were given away but didn't want to admit it :lol:

One of my friends who looked after my rabbits when I was on holiday was amazed by my sudden huge pony collection, and said that every day he was there he counted them again just to make sure they weren't increasing in number of their own accord! :lol:

Thanks to SDS for my siggy and Jupi for my avatar :)

Offline Mysticolt

• Big Brother Pony
  • Ponyholic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2012, 02:01:55 AM »
My housemate tries to criticise my love of ponies, but I just think "Haters Gonna Hate" and go back to enjoying a wholesome thing that makes me happy.

I wasn't too happy with the tone of parts of an article in the Sun Newspaper about a Pony Convention I attended last weekend

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/woman/article4577146.ece
He who dies with the most Ponies wins!

My Custom Ponies on Deviantart :
http://renzoknight.deviantart.com/gallery/44346066

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2012, 02:14:10 AM »
The world would be boring if we all liked and collected the same things and lived the same way of life. Whether it be ponies or thimbles or comic books, you will always get someone who is disrespectful or mean about a collection. Personally I say embrace collecting ponies and either be loud & proud or keep it in a personal space depending on your personality or preferences...unfortunately the world is full of people who seemingly have little better to do than make fun of others...if only we had an "ignore" button in real life.

And as OL1 mentions before - the more people who dont like ponies the more pony goodness for all of us lol!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2012, 03:47:17 AM »
I have not had anyone say anything our my daughters and my collection yet. I did have girl at work kind of laugh at it all. But she is very stuck on herself and her daughter.

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2012, 05:03:08 AM »
PPfftt...  >_< I spend my monies on toys and such, but you know what? My bills are paid, my child doesn't go without and the toy money isn't being used on drugs or such.

I have had ( now former ) co workers with drinking/drug problems actually give me crap about my hobbies and  ~ I did not have anything nice to say in response to them either.  ^.^

I'm not rabid when I talk about my hobbies or my ponies, but if someone asks then I do share a little bit with them.

Avvie By Watercolors

ValhallaLilly

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2012, 05:21:30 AM »
Aww maybe they were just covering for feeling bad for buying whatever comics they were buying?

My comic book guy was really nice and even mentioned there would be a MLP comic to me. And the people at Toys R Us went and got me a new box of blindbags because there was only one left!

Although I haven't exactly told anyone I've been buying MLP's yet... And I still have to pretend I'm in the kids aisle just for "birthday presents" to make myself not feel like a creep!

Offline josiekat

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • There's no such thing as a bait Bluebelle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2012, 05:27:06 AM »
I would have turned around and asked her what she was interested in. Then been like "oh that's nice........sounds interesting." But be REAL sarcastic. I can't let stuff like that go. I'm sorry that happened to you. Don't be self conscious about it. Look at it this way.....there's one less person you have to compete with for the comic when it comes out. :)

Offline octocorn

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Don't dream it, be it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2012, 05:44:10 AM »
lol I hate when people get all uppity, like the things they collect are SOOOO much more mature than ponies!  Well they might be, but my shelves full of plastic joy are so fun to look at, who gives a flip about being mature? :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal