collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G1s smell like candy ! :D  (Read 4125 times)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
Re: G1s smell like candy ! :D
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 03:53:39 AM »
Little ponies are at the end of the day made from the same materials as manufacturers use from everything from the dashboard of your car to a bath mat....and you have to differentiate between purposefully "scented" ponies [i.e. Sweetberry, Perfume Puff, etc] and the remainder of the sets which haven't been scented but which have been manufactured with fragranced plastic. Many toys from the late 70s to now have some kind of poly-scent added not to make the toys smell nice, i.e. not so much to "add" a smell but to counteract the smell of yucky plastic. Its the same reason car manufacturers add "new car smell".

And that slightly sweet smell does make those ponies even more appealing!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 06:03:41 AM »
It's the PONY SMELL. I love the PONY SMELL. 
Yeppers!! Sweet sweet pony stench!  :inlove:
Who knows, maybe it's some type of scented narcotic that Hasrro put in their product to addict us to them and that's why we're all still collecting after almost 30 years... :rofl: mwah ha ha ha ha!!

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 06:28:18 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with their bodies being plastic. I think it's something from their hair, since I can't sense any smell from their bodies at all ! But how come some have this scent and some don't? That is the main question I have.

Bee-chan

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 06:43:09 AM »
I don't think it has anything to do with their bodies being plastic. I think it's something from their hair, since I can't sense any smell from their bodies at all ! But how come some have this scent and some don't? That is the main question I have.

I think may have to do with the different batches of vinyl made for various batches of pony. Each batch is always a taaaad different, which is why we sometimes have ponies with plasticine problems.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2012, 06:49:26 AM »

As others have said only a few sets have a "purposeful" scent, other ponies will just have poly scent in the plastic in order to stop them smelling of plastic not to give them an actual smell. I assume from the ponies you are mentioning that its this latter scent you are referring to.

These ponies are 30 years old - some will have been carefully stored and may retain their smell, some may have had all manner of adventures, got dirty, been washed and may have lost some of their scent, some may have have lived in a house where someone overused air fresheners or lived in a box with some scented toys and picked up their scents. How a pony has lived its life is going to be determined by if it still retains a new pony scent. Again I ll go back to the car reference - if a car has been immaculately maintained and always cleaned and hardly used then it may retain some of its new car smell - if its been worked hard, cleaned only occasionally and transported everything from muddy kids to wet dogs it isnt going to retain that nice new car smell!

The poly scent is in the plastic - however hair will of course pick this scent up - as the hair will have been stored in the bubble along with the scented pony body when new - kind of like how your hair may smell of cigarettes after you come out of a smoky room. In addition the scent from the plastic inside will come out the only "holes" in the pony - tail hole and mane plugs to the scent will probably work into the hair there as well. And by "scent" I just mean the new pony smell we are all talking about lol!
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »
Hmm I see ! I just find it funny, really, that some ponies retained the smell after so long and some don't smell of anything at all now ! :D I love the scent they have~

I got Blue Ember in really dirty state, smoke smell, she was all black inside and all that... I cleaned her up good - I could still fix a few things, but those will have to wait - and after a while she doesn't smell of smoke anymore and she has that sweet scent in her hair... *_*

MoongazerThePony

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 08:15:48 AM »
Also, they all smell fine but Sprinkles.. she smells like earwax  :X :yikes: :drunk: :stressed:

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:37 AM »
Also, they all smell fine but Sprinkles.. she smells like earwax  :X :yikes: :drunk: :stressed:

LOL really ?! xD How weird !!

Offline Eternia

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • MOC Mimic
  • The girliest
    • View Profile
    • Oat Couture
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 08:31:58 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about, and I found an apple scented handsoap that had the same sweet smell. Wish I could remember what brand it was. But it was pony scented XD
My Wantlist! Connect with me! Facebook Tumblr Flickr Instagram=oatcouturepony & charmingplastics
No girly swap this year!

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2012, 08:32:48 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about, and I found an apple scented handsoap that had the same sweet smell. Wish I could remember what brand it was. But it was pony scented XD

How cool !! xD I wouldn't mind having my hands smell like ponies !! xDDDD

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2012, 10:52:36 AM »
I reckon some people get high by sniffing ponies :'D hahaha

lovekangaroo

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2012, 07:59:46 PM »
I see a bunch of crazy pony sniffing people..   I'm scared...  :yikes:

Offline Sonata

• Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 12:24:30 AM »
I see a bunch of crazy pony sniffing people..   I'm scared...  :yikes:

Ahhh, don't worry ! Noone's getting high on ponies xD

Offline partypony566

• Trade Count: (+197)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Just because
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 03:22:06 AM »
Yep!  It's the vinyl.  C:  I love that smell too.  Of course I also like the smell of the old high bounce balls, gasoline, and tar...

Omg me too hehe except the gasoline lol. But yeah G1 pony smell is the best :dribble:
Thanks to SDS for my siggy and avi :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

please check out my Etsy shop Dollyhousevintage :heart:

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:19:29 PM »
I usually love the smell of my pony room, it is wonderful. But after I got pregnant I can hardly go into my pony room, the smell is so overpowering and makes me feel sick. I am just thankful this is temporary because I still love my ponies, I just can't be around them at the moment.. I can normally stand around for ages and smell my ponies though, my favourite smelling ponies are Mimic, Tiddleywinks and Little Flitter.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal