collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pastels?  (Read 537 times)

Kaiken

• Trade Count: (0)
Pastels?
« on: December 04, 2014, 12:26:57 PM »
Anyone used pastels for customizing? And if so, what brand? I am curious if they work on ponies, as I have one that I would like to customize.

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
Re: Pastels?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 01:02:34 AM »
They do work on ponies. If you're using them on a G4 you will probably need to add a layer of something first to give their vinyl some "tooth". I use either Testors Dullcote or Liquitex Matte Medium (same two substances which can be used for sealing). I use a variety of brands and as long as I have that primer, they all work.

Hope that helps.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 05:06:58 AM »
Awesome! Good to know! I love the effect of pastel I have never tried this before.

Kaiken

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2014, 04:11:02 PM »
They do work on ponies. If you're using them on a G4 you will probably need to add a layer of something first to give their vinyl some "tooth". I use either Testors Dullcote or Liquitex Matte Medium (same two substances which can be used for sealing). I use a variety of brands and as long as I have that primer, they all work.

Hope that helps.
Ah, ok. Wasn't sure if they worked on this type of plastic.

Offline MarbleDragon

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • Fakie!
  • My hovercraft is full of eels!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 05:22:44 PM »
Interesting. I have never thought to use pastels before. Do both the soft and oil pastels work? I can see how oil pastels would work but I would be surprised if you could use soft pastels. I will have to give this a try thanks for the info!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 06:02:07 PM »
I use them for ponies sometimes and doll face-ups. Its the only way I've found to apply blush on g1s and make it look nice.

Shadow Spark

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 09:07:48 PM »
Interesting. I have never thought to use pastels before. Do both the soft and oil pastels work? I can see how oil pastels would work but I would be surprised if you could use soft pastels. I will have to give this a try thanks for the info!
Actually, I would imagine the oil pastels might be bad for the material. I haven't used chalk pastels on any of my ponies yet, but I have used them for other vinyl and resin figures. As StrawberryMeadow said, they work really well as long as you have a layer or two of Testors or Liquitex Matte, as those give the plastic enough "tooth" for the pastel to stick. The way the chalk pastels are generally is to sort of "grate" them with sandpaper or scrape with a knife to get a powder, which is then applied to primed figures with a brush/cotton swab/whatever other toolyou want to use.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:22:12 PM by Shadow Spark »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal