Creativity > Arts & Crafts Corral

questions are reproduction art

(1/2) > >>

bagheera86:
I did do a google search, but most of the information I came up with was mainly about copy right laws and people having a rant about how they hate it and that it robs them of their lively hood.

But I need information about the reproduction paints of art that is public domain, like Leonardo Da Vinci, Michael Angelo or whoever else has art that is probably public domain as an example.

I'm thinking of things to put in my e-store, of course there will be paintings that are original (i'm not very good but i'll try =-=;) but maybe I could sell things my sister can paint? Shes a far superior painter and I thought maybe she could do paintings of the mona lisa (as an example) or whatever but... Would that be legal for me to sell? And how do we decided on a price? By size or by how good it looks or both?

We chose the idea of reproduction to appeal to a wider audience as well, to get people into the e-store and browsing (it hasn't been set up at all, we're just talking about it now).

I just don't want to get sued or into hot water or anything =-=;

Shaiyeh:
what you could get into doing is paraphrasing. it's a lot of fun and more creative than just copying paintings ,)

here' for example is a paraphrase I did of Ingres' Valpincon Bather
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That is, if you're into classical painting. Why not some pony-related paraphrases?
But why not just... paint your own things, anyway?

ZennaBug:
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure.  But I think you might have more success with original art or paraphrasing anyway.  And those are safe  :)

bagheera86:

--- Quote from: ZennaBug on March 19, 2012, 09:19:39 PM ---Honestly, I'm not 100% sure.  But I think you might have more success with original art or paraphrasing anyway.  And those are safe  :)

--- End quote ---
guess so. might do that and find something else to stock with in the mean time.

Post Merge: March 19, 2012, 10:50:35 PM

--- Quote from: miss_tuneful on March 18, 2012, 09:04:33 AM ---what you could get into doing is paraphrasing. it's a lot of fun and more creative than just copying paintings ,)

here' for example is a paraphrase I did of Ingres' Valpincon Bather
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That is, if you're into classical painting. Why not some pony-related paraphrases?
But why not just... paint your own things, anyway?

--- End quote ---
because i wanted to appeal to a larger audience to both provide quality art and make the sales. And I am into classical art and the like, i just thought people might want a classical painting in their own  home since alot might not be able to get to the louve or other art galleries everyday, and they'll never own the original peice so I figured a high quality substitute might sell well... But if it's just going to get me into hot water, I guess i'll just have to supply my own completely. I was thinking of doing a mix but it looks like i'll just have to do my own.

Baby Sugarberry:
I'd steer far away from the very deep and murky art copyright waters.

The problem is three-fold - there are rights associated with the original, such as ownership and display (which may be owned by different parties!) and reproduction/print rights, which might be owned by yet another party, and then you have derivative work thrown in for extra fun.  That and the fact that copyright often stems from the point at which the copy/reproduction/print is created just makes for... one really, really big mess, that you need to have a paralegal degree to have any hope of navigating with confidence.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version