collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: The trivial complaints thread  (Read 468449 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: The trivial complaints thread
« Reply #3315 on: February 16, 2021, 07:54:55 AM »
The weather in Texas made our news as well. I don't usually associate snow with TX, although I know you do have some crazy weather over there!

We've had some little bits of snow here in the midlands, which is about normal. We've had flurries mostly. At the start of the month there was an inch or two, but that's all. We've been luckier than some other parts of the country where they also experience bad flooding at this time of the year thanks to the rather rebellious river that runs through the county. The snow in some areas has also been impacting tests and vaccines, but not here (although our closest testing centre did close briefly at the start of the month).

Wishing all the best to everyone dealing with extreme weather.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3316 on: February 16, 2021, 08:50:12 AM »
Sorry to everyone who is dealing with bad weather. It must be really hard if your area doesn't get it often and the municipalities aren't prepared to deal with it. I spent a winter without heat once when I was in my early 20's and I don't wish a day of it on anybody.

We have had below-0 temperatures here for almost 2 straight weeks. Our snow is measured in feet too. Usually this time of year we get a day here or there with these temps, and sporadic snow that melts within a week before we get a few more inches, but we've had a solid layer that hasn't gone away since right after Christmas. It's pretty unusual really. For the most part I don't mind the extreme cold right now because we're on virtual learning this week, so I only have to leave the house for my son's therapy a few days a week. Otherwise I'm warmer than usual because my heat is pretty much constantly running. It's trying to kill 3 hours in the car during his therapy that is the worst. When it's this cold, if I have my daughters with me, we're pretty much forced to go walk around Target or someplace rather than sit it out in the car like usual.

Trying to look on the bright side...with the heat constantly on, it only takes 10 minutes to blow-dry my hair instead of 20, and my air-dry laundry is dry a lot quicker. I'd hate to see the heating bill, though.

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3317 on: February 16, 2021, 11:40:47 AM »
Meanwhile, in Florida...

The tree pollen is so bad, there's yellow everywhere and it's been windy. I'm having a huge allergy attack. My eyes hurt >_< We're supposed to have storms everyday so hopefully it'll hit my area and clean the air out. On the other hand, the rain will make everything bloom again. There's no escape!

We're going to have one (1) chilly night this week. I'll be honest. It kinda sucks that this arctic blast is being blocked by low depression or whatever because I'm not ready for Spring, some more cold weather would be nice.

I'm sorry to those having a hard time.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3318 on: February 16, 2021, 12:09:57 PM »
even though i dripped the faucets last night and all day i think one of our pipe froze. the hot water in one sink isn't working and the cold water in the other sink isn't working. we rent but we just signed another year lease. i hope everything will be ok once it thaws. i don't even know hot to function in this weather.

If it's any consolation,

I think you would know if your pipes had burst.

On the bright side, we got power! ...5 minutes after our pipe exploded, brought a huge chunk of the ceiling down, flooded the living room and drowned our wifi router. No idea how I'm gonna make online classes now, but it could have been so much worse (our neighbor turned off our water for us, what an absolute angel, we owe him big time).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 12:11:32 PM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3319 on: February 16, 2021, 01:05:58 PM »
oh no! @otocolobus_manul at least no one was hurt. i'm glad the power came back though. stay safe 😊

the water did come back this afternoon. it's still 21F but the sun is out so the ice is melting. i left the pipes on so the water just came on and scared my partner. but now after the power was going off and on one of the breakers is tripped. i'm not sure what that means and i'm a little scared.
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3320 on: February 16, 2021, 03:33:40 PM »
I'm sorry that happened to you otocolobus_manul.  :shocked:  That must have been really scary.

So far I haven't lost power or water.  The power grid is very close to overloading though and more major consumers  (schools and some businesses) are remaining closed to try to ease the strain.

There has also been several warnings to not go out on frozen lakes or ponds because the ice isn't think enough to support someone trying to walk or skate on it.  A few people have been seen doing that

I had to walk in the snow to the neighbor's house so she could fax some important paperwork for me since I don't have a fax line in my house.  The deadline to submit the paperwork was in a few days and I'm not sure if the storm will be over by then.   The walk across the street wasn't too bad but the snow was starting to get a little deep in a few places.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3321 on: February 16, 2021, 04:35:33 PM »

There has also been several warnings to not go out on frozen lakes or ponds because the ice isn't think enough to support someone trying to walk or skate on it.  A few people have been seen doing that

Ponyfan

We live on a river, and this is the first time that I've seen it frozen all the way across. I'm so tempted to walk out to see if I can cross it, just to see what's on the other side. I never would, it's just fun to think about.

My trivial complaint is that during a brief excursion out of the house without any kids in tow (I had to go vote in our primary), I popped into the grocery store in hopes of finding leftover Valentine's Day chocolates, and there was none to be had. :mad:

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3322 on: February 16, 2021, 05:49:49 PM »
Not sure if this is trivial but my step dad crashed my car. It's totaled. I don't think insurance covers it. :(

Offline Ponybookworm

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • MOC Mimic
  • All Pony Literature appreciated!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3323 on: February 16, 2021, 08:01:04 PM »
Oto ouch!!! That looks like a nightmare!!! I've had leaky roof trouble in the past but that is horrific!!! Hope you get things fixed xxx

Starry oh no!!! Hope everybody's ok & that somehow you can afford a new(er) car
My Mascots (so far): Twisty Tail, G2 Trixiebelle, Starcatcher, Twilight Sparkle. All variants & pictures of these are appreciated. Piccies courtesy of Griffin, Blumiere, Littlebabyribbon, & Starscout

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3324 on: February 16, 2021, 09:33:41 PM »
I was sitting on my bed, typing on my laptop, minding my own business when I saw something move out of the corner of my eye.  There was a spider crawling on my laptop.    :wail: :spider:

It was black and fuzzy, it looked like a miniature tarantula, and it completely freaked me out because I wasn't expecting it.  I managed to catch him in a mailer that I'd emptied earlier and dumped him out the window.  I feel a little bad about it because it's barely above freezing here and there's snow on the ground...and I'm on the second floor.  But he had no business being in my room!  I don't like squishing spiders because of the icky crunch noise they make but I hate trying to catch them to get them outside, too.  If I know a spider is poisonous (we have Hobos and Black Widows here) I definitely kill them--usually with a shoe, sometimes with a hockey stick--but if I think it's just an invader, I'll try to stick it outside. 

Offline starrynights

• Takara Fakie
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Tinsel Enthusiast, Fakie Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3325 on: February 16, 2021, 11:07:18 PM »
I feel awful because I was really annoying to a nice seller because I don't understand how to use paypal properly :(
I wish my cognitive abilities were better  :cloud:

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3326 on: February 17, 2021, 07:47:11 AM »
It was black and fuzzy, it looked like a miniature tarantula

I don't know where you live but it sounds like a jumping spider. They're harmless and quite intelligent :)

My complaint is there are no grocery delivery slots left for today unless I want to pay an extra $10 for express. My lettuce went bad while I was staying at my parents place and I really want either tacos or nachos. I have everything I need but lettuce and that won't do. If I was a normal functioning person I could hop in the car and go get a head of lettuce but no. Now I have to think up a list of stuff to justify the cost.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Beth3346

• Trade Count: (+91)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • she/her/hers - Baby Mint Dreams by Lady Satine
    • View Profile
    • My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #3327 on: February 17, 2021, 12:20:49 PM »
we have power but no water, a few of the switches in our breaker box seem to be fried including the one that handles the hot water heater. of course there is no water to heat anyway. we were too lazy and afraid of the power going out to shower last night but that was a mistake.

i harvested some ice to use if we need water to flush our toilets later. ugh i can't believe i thought snow would be fun. i hate it now
Current Grails - Dutchies, Princess Variants PM me if you have any for sale - Want List

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3328 on: February 18, 2021, 02:21:34 AM »
My mother has to have a blood test today, for her routine hospital check next month. They scheduled it really early because she's shielding and high risk. Today they called her to say they had to make the appt later because the person who was doing it is off. That means she now is down there while it's busier.

So fed up with this doublestandard. Same GP that told her to shield and avoid unnecessary contact...same GP that decided to set up its vaccine hub miles from where its patients live, forcing them to make long journeys or alternative arrangements.

Unimpressed.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #3329 on: February 18, 2021, 01:43:52 PM »