collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Unpopular Pony Opinions  (Read 412771 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Unpopular Pony Opinions
« Reply #1260 on: August 27, 2018, 10:52:18 AM »
I don't like the name Coco Berry.  Not sure if this is an unpopular opinion or not.

Other names I don't like:

Crunch Berry
Sorbet Surprise
Sherbet
Cherry Berry

Chocolate Chip would be an okay name except Chocolate Chip / Coco Berry very clearly has SPRINKLES on her ice cream cone, not chocolate chips!  She also doesn't have any suggestion of chocolate / cocoa??  Where is this cocoa / chocolate theme coming from?

In conclusion, not my favorite pony set.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #1261 on: August 27, 2018, 11:03:18 AM »
Hasbro had issues with pretty much every aspect of that set...

Chocolate Chip's perfume is also one of the most terrifying miasmas known to mankind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: August 27, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
I don't like the name Crunch Berry either. It just sounds weird.

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: August 27, 2018, 11:29:28 AM »
Crunch Berry reminds me of cereal specifically Cap’n Crunch  :lol:  I’m not sure why Hasbro decided Coco Berry/ Chocolate Chip should have a pink ice cream instead of something that related to chocolate in some way.

I’ve always found it funny that th commercial for the Sundae Best ponies states “ponies smell like ice cream” Coco Berry/Chocolate Chip never smelled like ice cream to me.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: August 27, 2018, 11:51:50 AM »
I have no issues with leaving a G1 pony behind at a flea market... in fact, I leave most of them. I leave all other gens...

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: August 27, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
While we're talking about names, have I said that I like the name Pillow Talk, yet?  I just find it cute.

Weirdly, part of the reason I like it is because back in 2013 (one of the years when I started checking out the pre-G4 stuff), I was training to work at a radio station, which had a segment that played romantic songs, which was called "Pillow Talk" and they played a song of the same name as it's jingle, and I couldn't help but think of the pony, so due to nostalgic attachments to both the radio station, and My Little Pony, I ended up really loving the name, not caring about the other meaning of the term (ironically, the song was about the other meaning, but it still didn't matter to me.)

I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Nienna

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: August 27, 2018, 12:56:32 PM »
I have no issues with leaving a G1 pony behind at a flea market... in fact, I leave most of them. I leave all other gens...

I find that hard! If they are very baity and expensive I'm like, eh, I can deal with it, but otherwise I feel kind of compelled to bring them. All other gens, not bothered if I leave them.

I actually wish it was easier for me to leave them, so I kind of admire you!

On the topic of foreign names- I really really dislike the Dutch names. Not for the 1995 so much, but the translated names... they SUCK. The Dutch comics switched halfway through their run from having the English to the Dutch names and it was so hard for me to get used to it.
Basically, Dutch has a suffix that means "little, small" (-je) and they just put that after a noun to make pony names. Lemon Drop is "little lemon", Peachy is "little peach", Bow Tie is "little bow" Applejack is "little apple" and I could go on and on. It's so uncreative and stupid, and doesnt sound cute at all. In German 'Zitronchen' is pretty much the same I suppose but it sounds cuter.

Such a petpeeve for me!
She is
Cinderella in disguise, or the mermaid in despite
Of her very human feet, dancing in her ballroom suite

Offline Cheyennethepony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: August 27, 2018, 01:58:46 PM »
Here's one:

I don't want a full collection of every G1 in existence. Instead, my goal has always been a relatively small herd comprised only of ponies from select sets. There are a lot more ponies I'd pass on than ones I actually want.

Yes! Agreed! I only want the ponies that I like. I don't care about rare ponies.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: August 27, 2018, 06:07:55 PM »
Having bought Coco Berry when the line was brand new, I can attest to the stank. For me, I had to leave her outside on the patio for a few days to air out. It irked me that an ice cream pony which had an ice cream cone didn't smell like it. At least the line could have smelled like various scratch n sniff stickers. Remember those? Such nostalgia when getting papers back in school.

In conclusion, not a fan of that particular name.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: August 27, 2018, 06:59:05 PM »
Since we're talking about the Sundae Best ponies scents., I have to mention the US commercial for them. It repeatedly shows a little girl smelling the pony

and then smelling ice cream and nodding supposedly conforming that they do smell like ice cream. :lol:

Ponyfan

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #1270 on: August 28, 2018, 06:46:07 AM »
That commercial . . . amazing . . . :P

OMG, I'm sorry she smelled so bad you had to air her out!  I've never had one of the Sundae Best ponies who was still scented, the smell had worn off by the time I got my hands on them.

Does ice cream actually have a smell?  I don't think I've ever had chocolate ice cream that smelled chocolatey.  Freshly made waffle cones have a smell, but does ice cream?  *goes to open fridge and sniff ice cream, like the girl in the commercial*
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: August 28, 2018, 11:30:39 AM »
I don't like the (non movie) firefly pose ponies
I don't like g 3.5
I don't like perfume puff ponies
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: August 29, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
I pity anyone who had a Sundae Best from new. I am traumatised by the ones I have that still smell...the only one I can bear is Sherbet/Sorbet Surprise.

In the UK Hasbro had a giant mess up with the names and there's all kind of weird going on with the US names as well because Cherry Berry was originally a US pony name and then got axed and everyone got shunted around and yeah. If you look at the US cards, some of them have names in block capitals and some don't. And the ones that do are  the ones that have different UK names. Weird stuff.

In any case, the comic first introduced the unicorn as Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet, although this was later corrected to her being Chocolate Chip. The comic Sorbet Surprise was known for grape sorbet and a whispering grape vine, so utterly un-chocolatey. I am not sure any of them really fit their names, though. I mean, Banana Surprise may have a banana split on her butt...not sure about that. But she's pink and aqua.

I really am not a fan of this set at all, mostly because the moulds look deformed as far as I am concerned. I love Butter Kiss/Swirly Whirly's colour scheme, but her smell is almost as bad as Chocolate Chip and her pose is just...wrong on all levels :(
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: August 29, 2018, 05:44:25 AM »
I found this catalog page on the Wiki. I'm not sure if it's a typo or not but

http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/9/9d/213.jpg

It calls both the unicorn and the yellow Earth pony Coco Berry and Crunch Berry/Cherry Berry as Swirly Whirly/Butter Kiss

I’m not sure how popular this opinion is but I love the Dancing Butterflies pose. :lovey:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 29, 2018, 07:03:30 AM by Ponyfan »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: August 30, 2018, 12:31:09 AM »
I found this catalog page on the Wiki. I'm not sure if it's a typo or not but

http://mylittlewiki.org/w/images/9/9d/213.jpg

It calls both the unicorn and the yellow Earth pony Coco Berry and Crunch Berry/Cherry Berry as Swirly Whirly/Butter Kiss

I’m not sure how popular this opinion is but I love the Dancing Butterflies pose. :lovey:

Ponyfan

And if you squint you can see that the MOC Sherbet/Sorbet Surprise is labelled CHERRY Berry, which is the UK name for Crunch Berry. BUT I have a UK insert from 1988ish that lists that same pony as Cherry Berry, too. As I said, Hasbro had issues with that set. I don't like the set particularly as ponies, but all the mess ups around them fascinate me as a pony geek o.o.

I also love the Dancing Butterflies pose! I had her as a child and I thought it made her look so beautiful :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal