collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Yay! Retrodolls US review  (Read 3448 times)

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Yay! Retrodolls US review
« on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:18 AM »
Just wanted to say that I got my order from Retrodolls US today. I got some glow in the dark hair, and I am quite pleased with it! It is a nice white. I can't tell if it's slightly off white or if it's just faintly glowing since it has been sitting out for a while. This is the first Poly hair I have used, and it does feel a bit different than the nylon I prefer, but it is pleasant!

I also have Fantabulous Saran and Colbalt Fizz. I have to say that I really dislike tinsel in MLP hair, but in the pictures, this seemed to blend well with the hair. Having it in hand, it has a very nice silky quality, and I am super pleased with the overall feel of the hair. The tinsel feels a little rough, but it is thin and meshes with the hair well, unlike the other MLP tinsel that just went everywhere.

Lastly, I have some Jet which feels like every other nylon I have handled.

I haven't had a chance to rehair a pony with it yet as I just got it today, but I am super excited to do so! Im starting physical therapy next week for my back, so hopefully that helps and I can get the pain manageable so I can get back to work on ponies!

Other Pros: Constant communication! Every question I asked got answered in a timely and thorough manner!

Shipping updates! I got a shipping notice when my order shipped as well as a warning that it was to be shipping soon. I felt very safe in knowing that I was getting my product in a timely manner!

Prices! Prices are comparable to anyone else out there, and the amount of hair you get, and length that you get is comparable to Dollyhair.

Shipping fees were very reasonable!

Cons:

I'm not too fond of the baggies that the hanks of hair are packaged in. It is a thin plastic with a sticky flap to close it. I prefer zip bags, but it isn't a huge issue. The sticky is a very very thin strip, so it isn't some huge mess that will grab the hair. I was able to take the hair out and put it back without the bag being an issue.

Edited to add: I just had a "duh!" moment. I opened a bag to take it out and weigh it, and as I was putting it back, I realized that the sticky flap wouldn't be an issue if I just bent the flap back and bent it under to stick the sticky side to the bag itself. Viola! Nothing grabbing the hair!

Color selection. I wish there were more colors, but Retrodolls US is new and growing and they regularly add more to their selections! I am really looking forward to the new colors that they are looking into getting soon! Every purchase you make helps them to reinvest the money into new colors for you to buy.

Honestly.. That's it for cons. I'm one happy customer and I just wanted to share that with all of you!

Got your own reviews to post?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:11:53 AM by Maniah »

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
Re: Yay! Retrodolls US review
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 10:48:55 AM »
thanks for sharing your experience :)

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:21:55 PM »
I am happy to do so! This is a great company that deserves great press :)

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:52:57 PM »
I have to agree on the bags.  I keep getting hair or me stuck to them. 
:socks:   :frog:

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 09:17:52 PM »
Thanks so much hun!! I agree on the bags- those are the bags I get from the UK for the pre-orders, normally I use regular ziplock baggies ;) I'll make a note so that if you order in the future- I'll be sure to switch them out to ziplock bags for you and not leave them in the plastic ones ;)

As for more colors- we're hoping to get more in soon, I just contacted a new supplier about some new colors and the UK is working on getting more too, so excited!! :)

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:21:28 PM »
The glow in the dark is awesome! It does tangle easier than nylon just because of the material so when you start to separate out your plug strands be aware of that. But it looks really nice when it's done and it's easy to work with once you get it all separated out. I am loving it!
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

Offline enchantress41580

• Trade Count: (+34)
    • View Profile
    • Retro Dolls US
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »
if you get any tangling troubles- damp it with a fine mist of water, that should help smooth it out :)

Offline RevRuby

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • PonyPony
    • View Profile
    • http://revruby.deviantart.com
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 09:27:13 PM »
I personally love RDUS. I've never had to wait for a package, she communicates constantly, and as I'm a slow customize I'm cool waiting for new colors. Even when she sends me a snippet sample if it's not on the site yet i have been able to order it very easily.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ask me how to get a coupon to my etsy shop! it's EASY!
thank you to RobinHoodFan for my avatar!

Online sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:42:00 PM »
I'll have to remember to write my review on the hair and such, as this is only my second order and I have yet to actually use my first order (Shannon knows why XD)
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Ligress

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart! (art is not updated but I am active to respond there!)
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 09:54:17 PM »
I got hair and its lovely, my only sadface would be I wish I had more money to buy more hair! Service and shipping was great and friendly and even got a little bonus :)
~ Have facebook? Selling or buying a custom pony, vintage toys  or pony extras?~
* MLP Extras for sale **http://www.facebook.com/groups/CUSTOMPONIES Vintage Toys BUY SELL TRADE *
Avatar Icon by L Correia My Ponysona Ligress

Xaniss

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 03:38:03 AM »
Thank you Maniah and everyone else for the reviews - I only *wish* I could leave a review but unfortunately haven't had a chance to place an order with Retrodolls yet as I'm broke for the next ... three weeks or so  :(

I am hoping to order soon (especially seeing the Saran thermal colour-change hair in action! ;) ) and look forward to the experience!

Any International people wish to review?? Especially about shipping times - I am curious to how fast shipping is compared to the competition. Many thanks in advance!  :D

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 05:29:40 AM »
Can someone tell me how much hair comes in a hank of saran? Is it comparable to Dollyhair's RD hank or is it more?
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »
Can someone tell me how much hair comes in a hank of saran? Is it comparable to Dollyhair's RD hank or is it more?

My Retrodolls hank of Jet Nylon weighs  .5 oz
My Retrodolls hank of Glow in the Dark weight .4
My Dollyhair hank of Black Magic weighs .6
My Dollyhair hank of Starlight weighs .4

I would say they are comparable :)

Offline EmberBright

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Disregard the Prologue - my blog about... um... everything
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:38 AM »
My hair came in ziplock baggies (not sticky). :)

I was super impressed with the fast shipping. things take longer to get here in the mail, but I was still pleasantly surprised by how quickly I got my first order. Still waiting to have a pony ready to use my Jonquil on, but I liked the walnut when I used it. Can't wait to see the pink with tinsel that's on the way!

Disregard the Prologue

Offline Maniah

• Classifieds
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:36 AM »
I just had a "duh!" moment. I opened a bag to take it out and weigh it, and as I was putting it back, I realized that the sticky flap wouldn't be an issue if I just bent the flap back and bent it under to stick the sticky side to the bag itself. Viola! Nothing grabbing the hair!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal