collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G4 plushes: licensed or not?  (Read 1256 times)

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
G4 plushes: licensed or not?
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:54:12 AM »
I've fallen woefully behind on G4; there's so much stuff available, I just can't keep up! So I'm trying to catch up when I can get a good deal.

I only collect officially licensed MLP stuff. I know there's a lot of unofficial stuff on Ebay, and for the most part I can tell the difference. But some of the plushes have me scratching my head. Specifically the ones like Double Diamond, Twilight Velvet, Sugar Belle, Fleur de Lis, Cherry Jubilee, Daring Do, etc.; there's a whole bunch all made in the same style. They have some sort of tags and I can tell they're factory-made. But are they officially licensed, or just high quality knock-offs? I hope they're official, because they look a lot better than all the other licensed plushes except maybe Build-a-Bear.
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
Re: G4 plushes: licensed or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »
There are some high quality knockoff plushes out there, so I'd guess that the ones you're talking about are these, since as far as I'm aware, none of these characters you listed ever got official plush! At least they aren't in MLP Merch's database.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 11:13:17 AM »
I think I know which sorts you are talking about. Did you know they made a Jazzie, too?

These are absolutely unofficial. If these are the kinds you are seeing, MLPMerch did some investigating and published an article here.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 11:15:11 AM »
yup, those are unlicensed... there was a big thing around them a few years back, the company that makes them (if its the one with the green 12 inches graphic on the product photo ones) had a sort of kickstarter style website where characters would get voted on... they faced some legal trouble for it. i could find the thread on it, if you like.

they are pretty high quality, for how cheap they are and them being knockoffs.

Offline Luxrayx

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 11:38:28 AM »
Yep, the "12 inches" graphic is pretty much a dead giveaway that they're bootlegs. You can find the same kind of high-quality but bootleg 12-inch plushies based on several franchises, not just mlp. I find it hard to resist some of the Pokemon ones, myself...

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 12:41:59 PM »
Ahhh the Olyfactory booties. Yeah, those things are super fake, and they're all over the place too. Things to watch out for are the "12 inch" pic (that's always a dead giveaway), unusual characters (like the Jazzie Tailrustedtealeaf posted... I still wonder who suggested they make her, she's such an odd character to have a bootleg of!) and the usual giveaways that an item is fake (i.e. suspiciously cheap, tons of items available, etc).

Some of them are pretty cute though, and I think they're pretty good quality (never owned one myself but I've seen tons of them, lol). But they're definitely not official.

MLP Merch has a great database of official plushies (and damn near all G4 merch that exists), though :)

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 01:20:17 PM »
Ahhh the Olyfactory booties. Yeah, those things are super fake, and they're all over the place too. Things to watch out for are the "12 inch" pic (that's always a dead giveaway), unusual characters (like the Jazzie Tailrustedtealeaf posted... I still wonder who suggested they make her, she's such an odd character to have a bootleg of!) and the usual giveaways that an item is fake (i.e. suspiciously cheap, tons of items available, etc).

Some of them are pretty cute though, and I think they're pretty good quality (never owned one myself but I've seen tons of them, lol). But they're definitely not official.

MLP Merch has a great database of official plushies (and damn near all G4 merch that exists), though :)
i am really awful with usernames, but it was someone here.

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
That's pretty much what I thought, but it's good to know for sure. Too bad they're knock-offs. Though on the other hand, it's kind of nice that there isn't even more stuff to tempt me. It's hard to be a completionist!
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 01:34:17 PM »
I bought some of the Olyfactory plushies and believe it or not they're actually really nice.  Well made, durable, decent materials.  Too bad they're not licenced. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal