collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: American Girl  (Read 44400 times)

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: American Girl
« Reply #315 on: February 19, 2017, 06:56:56 AM »
I really wish they'd learn to advertise these things literally anywhere, but AG Playthings is back open for registration! :D I have no idea when this happened since it wasn't announced anywhere non-members can see but I'm excited. I think it said approval may take 3-4 weeks but that's not too bad considering how long its been already.

*facepalm*  I am sooooo sorry!  I have been seeing new members on AGPT and I figured you were already in the queue so I didn't post here that yes, membership is open again!  :( 

Hope to see you there soon!  If you need some references, I am sure SailorStitch, myself or one of us other members will be happy to vouch for you!
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #316 on: February 19, 2017, 07:20:21 AM »
I haven't actually checked Playthings in months cause I got annoyed with the wait, haha. Though I can't recall the last time I actually tried to sign up? Last poke around might have just been trying to find if there was any info about signups posted. I thought I might still be in the queue already since I never got rejection notices but nope. I wasn't really sure what to say in the "plead your case to the mods" bit. I was so excited it was actually open I just kind of fumbled through being excited xD

After a bit of debate I just signed up under my name, Carissa. I probably could've come up with something better but oh well! At least that username won't generate any weird nicknames the way something like "yellowstone" would haha.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 21, 2017, 07:42:44 AM »
Going to a special AG sale would be so dangerous for me. I would go for broke and fill up all my credit cards lol.  I heard that the company is in trouble.  To me, they are charging way too much now for things, maybe if they lowered prices a little bit it would help them.  Sometimes you can just charge yourself right out of business.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 21, 2017, 03:56:36 PM »
I really wish they'd learn to advertise these things literally anywhere, but AG Playthings is back open for registration! :D I have no idea when this happened since it wasn't announced anywhere non-members can see but I'm excited. I think it said approval may take 3-4 weeks but that's not too bad considering how long its been already.

*facepalm*  I am sooooo sorry!  I have been seeing new members on AGPT and I figured you were already in the queue so I didn't post here that yes, membership is open again!  :( 

Hope to see you there soon!  If you need some references, I am sure SailorStitch, myself or one of us other members will be happy to vouch for you!

I didn't even notice that registration was open. LOL If need be, I'll back you up. My user name over there is SailorMolly.

sailorstitch

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 24, 2017, 07:07:27 PM »

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #320 on: February 24, 2017, 07:57:33 PM »
That article is poorly researched and honestly, kind of ridiculous. I stopped reading after 2-seconds-to-Google mistakes, purposeful half-lies to make Mattel look worse (they do bad enough on their own!), and the super cringey "recent history isn't REAL history".

Its an interesting idea but that writer did an extremely poor job with it.

RainbowQuartz

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #321 on: February 25, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
I have 6 or 7 pleasant company AG dolls in a space bag in storage but they are ALL moldy. I'm hoping to someday find out how to save them but my hopes aren't high. I started reading this thread because my kids are getting interested in AG but I'm not spending that kind of money on these the way that they are now. At least my husband found a PC Addy in a dump trade shed (yes, seriously!) a few years ago and she was easy to clean up so my kids have that one. It's disappointing to see the quality dip so much at these prices.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #322 on: February 25, 2017, 07:38:53 AM »
What parts of the dolls have molded? Bodies, skin, hair, eyes? Do you have any photos? The Doll Hospital doesn't accept moldy dolls but I'm sure there's a way you can get them fixed up yourself, at least for display.

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #323 on: February 25, 2017, 08:09:40 AM »
What parts of the dolls have molded? Bodies, skin, hair, eyes? Do you have any photos? The Doll Hospital doesn't accept moldy dolls but I'm sure there's a way you can get them fixed up yourself, at least for display.

The vinyl (heads/arms/legs, different parts on each). The bodies don't have any visible mold but I'm less concerned about cleaning them than the vinyl since fabric is an easier beast to battle.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 25, 2017, 11:54:56 AM »
I got the new catalog today featuring Tenny and Logan. The historical dolls are only featured on a few pages and the only dolls shown are Mary Ellen, Melody, Julie, Kaya, Rebecca and Kit. Samantha, Addy and Josefina are only shown on the page that features the mini dolls. Felicity is not shown at all. That really surprises me since she was just released.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 25, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
I got the new catalog today featuring Tenny and Logan. The historical dolls are only featured on a few pages and the only dolls shown are Mary Ellen, Melody, Julie, Kaya, Rebecca and Kit. Samantha, Addy and Josefina are only shown on the page that features the mini dolls. Felicity is not shown at all. That really surprises me since she was just released.

Ponyfan

I guess this is a good indication of where the company feels the money is and isn't with their product.  Sigh never thought I would see this day with AG.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 25, 2017, 03:21:26 PM »

Ponyfan

They switch off which characters they feature in the catalogues. They haven't done full catalogue spreads in many, many years.  Usually Kaya, Addy, and Josefina switch off.

And the focus has been on the TrulyMe/modern doll line for many years as well.  They really don't advertise the historical dolls much - people vaguely know about them but end up buying a TM doll instead.

Felicity is online and NYC/LA/Chicago only, so not surprising she's not in the catalogue.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 25, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
I remember the days when each historical doll was in the catalog along with outfits the child could wear to match her doll.  There were like three or four outfits per doll for a child to choose from.  They even had to period shoes as well.  The catalogs were thick and showed most of the best parts of each doll's collection and accessories. 

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #328 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:09 PM »

The vinyl (heads/arms/legs, different parts on each). The bodies don't have any visible mold but I'm less concerned about cleaning them than the vinyl since fabric is an easier beast to battle.

Hm, if you haven't already I'd say step one would be to take off their heads, throw away the stuffing, and remove their limbs. I'd probably restring them all even if their string isn't moldy, just to be safe.

I found these and maybe they'll help. I don't know how up to date they are.
Restoration Wizard
How do you remove mold/mildew from a vinyl doll?

There might be more tutorials on YouTube but I can't really watch videos much so I didn't look there.

I remember the days when each historical doll was in the catalog along with outfits the child could wear to match her doll.  There were like three or four outfits per doll for a child to choose from.  They even had to period shoes as well.  The catalogs were thick and showed most of the best parts of each doll's collection and accessories.

I miss the days of every doll, all the Historicals, getting their own two page spread with a lifesize (or so it seemed) photo of the doll in her meet. I remember being so mesmerized by those photos. Over and over I'd stare at them, inspecting all the different parts of their hair, eyes, and outfits. I really wish they still did that but at least the GotY gets them. Melody has one in her debut catalogue but I don't have Maryellen's to check. If she does that's a catalogue I'll have to buy!

RainbowQuartz

« Reply #329 on: February 26, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
I miss the days of every doll, all the Historicals, getting their own two page spread with a lifesize (or so it seemed) photo of the doll in her meet. I remember being so mesmerized by those photos. Over and over I'd stare at them, inspecting all the different parts of their hair, eyes, and outfits. I really wish they still did that but at least the GotY gets them. Melody has one in her debut catalogue but I don't have Maryellen's to check. If she does that's a catalogue I'll have to buy!

When I was in kindergarten or first grade I cut out those centerfold size historical dolls and taped the pages together/stapled computer paper to the back and stuffed them with cotton balls. I played with them for like 6 months and that was what made my parents buy me a real one.  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal