collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What Are Novistars So Unpopular?  (Read 2301 times)

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What Are Novistars So Unpopular?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2013, 09:36:16 AM »
I would buy more, if I could FIND them.  My TRUs have had only the first 4 dolls ever since they released.  I've already got those 4......I'm not gonna buy them again.....stock something else for a change.  I'm not sure who's to blame here, but I lean torwards the stores for not giving the line a true chance.  Maybe if they brought in something NEW they'd sell them.

It's a shame too, because the newer dolls (that I've only seen in ONE store) are really neat looking.  I'm sure the stores would sell a few, if they had them.  When I finally found them, I had the urge to buy them all because I was afraid I'd never see them again!  I couldn't afford 8+ dolls so I had to leave some behind :cry:

As for the fashions, I think they made a mistake trying to make these girl "fashion" dolls.  They are too small to really enjoy dressing them up, IMO.  I think letting the gimmicks speak for themselves would have been a good route.  Most of my dolls are nakey, and they are fine with it LOL.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »
Yeah, totally agreed on so many points. I think they're super cute, but way too expensive for what they are, which--being so unarticulated--is really just a display-as-is figure with a cute gimmick, like justkitter said, not really a fashion doll at all. (And especially since yeah, their outfits really aren't anything special.) Their regular price has been $24.99 here in Canada, and there's simply no way I'd shell that out for them. I did buy my two faves, Malie and Tula, when they went on clearance for $10. I'd be tempted to buy a couple of the new ones if I could find them for $15 or less, but they haven't come to Canada and I kinda doubt they will now, after the old ones have been clearanced out. Which is okay with me, more money for MH and EAH. Sorry, Novis :(
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline dori86

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2013, 01:09:57 AM »
 I would buy moreeee for this price!!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaninchen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2013, 03:35:28 AM »
i honestly don't quite know why they are so unpopular. i adore them, and have all of them but the curl and coil girls. but my tastes do often lean to the odd and eccentric. i suspect a part of the unpopularity is the price point, and perhaps the marketing. they aren't really "little girl" toys so much as they are quirky action figures.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 06:16:19 AM »
I like the concept and think the sculpts are cute but for the price I want better articulation. The ones with their legs molded together at the crotch are especially awkward looking to me and pretty useless for redressing in anything other than skirts. I think the Novi line would do better if they were either scaled down in size & price like the Zelf dolls or built with better articulation, outfits and accessories in the same vein as MH or Ever After High. Altogether though my wallet is glad I never fell hard for these little weirdos!
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline sparkykandy

• Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 02:25:24 AM »
While I do like them and would buy all of them if I had the money, I know (as everyone else has already said) that the two main complaints about them are the lack of articulation and the high price point.  The lack of articulation doesn't bother me since I just display the two I have, but I imagine that they would sell more if they were fifteen dollars instead of twenty.
Admin of a Cheritz fan forum.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 02:35:08 AM »
I really love them- I DO think the lack of articulation really hurts their playability and display-  I know production costs are probably high, so they cut corners on the joints probably so that they could have those fabulous inset and eyelashed eyes- which are truly gorgeous.   But it does bug me that they can't bend their knees or even elbows...

Also- the first four or so fell apart so easily- and were even less flexible.  If you dropped them their arms would go spinning off into the void.  Also the inflexibility made it almost impossible to fit the dolls into their stands.  So I think that they weren't very good kids toys, which have to have some level of durability.  Moms probably bought one, kid dropped it and lost the arms, or couldn't get the stand to work-  and never bought another again.  Which is really too bad because the most recent series is much better designed (the Robot dolls and the ice and fire dolls)

I think they are all gorgeous and have them all, but am obviously not their target audience.   I would also have paid a bit more for jointed arms and legs, but they probably know that if the cost of the doll was any higher, most wouldn't buy it at all, joints or not.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 03:06:18 AM »
I think the Novistars are super cute.  Why is it that they are in every store's clearance pile and popping up MIB at the Goodwill?

I wish they'd do the same thing over here in Europe! Like people have already mentioned, they seem to be crazy expensive in all countries but the US :lol:
I really want to get at least Vera and Mimi because I love the new direction they have taken - more creative, more crazy character designs and better legs. Of course joints would be a big plus but then I would never be able to afford them, considering I'm also collecting Monster High and Transformers...

Kobold

« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »
Well I love them, but with their price in Canada I can't afford many. I'm still looking for the ones with cyber falls hair.

I do wish they could actually stand in their stands... mine just fall backwards in they aren't leaning against something. :/

Offline lemonice

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2013, 08:00:08 PM »
They are expensive :( but i like them so i Think its Worth it.

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 01:30:46 AM »
I love the coil and curl dolls and paid full price for them on Amazon.  But the early versions were not nearly as appealing to me.   I did buy two of the beach ones for $5 each at Target.  Those hats are adorable.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2013, 01:34:33 AM »
Well I love them, but with their price in Canada I can't afford many. I'm still looking for the ones with cyber falls hair.

I do wish they could actually stand in their stands... mine just fall backwards in they aren't leaning against something. :/

The newer ones (coil n curl and the frosty and firey ones) have a different leg design/joints and they stand really well in their stands :D

Early dolls- not so much, alas.

papier

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
Echoing others - way too expensive for what they are, and the quality is often sub-par too. I got Mae Tallick way back and her feet won't even fit into her stand, while others say they've had arms fall off at the slightest knock. I like the one in the picture above with the green hair and coils but at the price they're asking it's a big no-no from me.

Offline mistic_imp

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Http://www.carolphillipsart.com
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2013, 04:56:44 PM »
 i agree with the price point thing.. and lack of articulation, when alot of the dolls out these days are..

but i also feel like they just wern't marketed enough or very well..   I love these dolls!  and every little kid i know likes them too.. even the boys!
 they are just unusual and cool.   but maybe too out there for alot of adults?

Offline Cool.Breeze

• Trade Count: (+24)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2013, 12:11:47 AM »
I like them and I do find them eye-catching and cute, but as others have said, the lack of articulation + price just doesn't make them as appealing. If they were pose-able I imagine I'd have a few in my collection already.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal