collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lotsa Liv questions - can someone help me out? ^^  (Read 2131 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Lotsa Liv questions - can someone help me out? ^^
« on: April 16, 2013, 09:18:38 AM »
Hi there!

Sooo... I'm new to this entire Liv business, but I really love how close they come to a BJD with their many points of articulation and eyes that aren't painted on.
I also love the fact that they use wigs instead of rooted hair, so customizing is more easy.

I think you can already guess what I have in mind: I'd love to get one or two Liv dollies for customizing purposes.
So here are my questions:

How difficult is it to swap body parts, or is it possible at all?
I've noticed that the Dance dolls have a split torso that allows for more upper body motion, but the regular dolls have jointed knees instead. I'd like to have both torso and knee articulation, so would a Frankenstein Liv be possible? Has anyone tried it yet?

Is there some sort of doll/fashion pack/wig database, listing or similar?
It would be cool to be able to see all products at once. I have found a site called shoplivdolls. Is there something even better for pictures of the sets?

How big are their eyes once removed from the head? Is there a regular doll eye size that can be used as a possible replacement?

Last but not least: Should I decide to buy certain Liv products, would anyone of you be so kind and help me get them?
As far as I know my country doesn't have them and online shops are always rather costly. Having a personal doll hunter would be great! :3

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Lotsa Liv questions - can someone help me out? ^^
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:09:11 AM »
You've asked the right place!! We have a Liv thread, but haven't update it much, do check it out when you get the chance!! http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,303018.0.html

As for your questions:

How difficult is it to swap body parts, or is it possible at all?
The only body parts that are swapable are the heads and eyes. However, limbs or any other articulated parts, are not (or at least from what I've experienced/seen so far).

Here's an example of my Customized liv doll
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Her eyes came from two different girls, her head came from one of the magic spa dolls, her body was from one of the original dolls, whose head I accidentaly ruined and her previous body seemed flawed since some of her joints felt like they were going to snap or rip the rubber in her hand/foot.

Is there some sort of doll/fashion pack/wig database, listing or similar?
http://shoplivdolls.com/ is the only site I've found useful as it has all releases, sadly hasn't been updated a little before the line as a whole, was axed. >,<;

How big are their eyes once removed from the head? Is there a regular doll eye size that can be used as a possible replacement?
I have no idea about the measurements of the eyes. (Not BJD savvy) But if I recall, I think the Bratzilla's eyes can fit them, although the iris will take up the whole eye space, not leaving much white space in the eyes. I know Taxel ordered a set of eyes for one of her Liv dolls that were made specifically for BJDs.

Last but not least: Should I decide to buy certain Liv products, would anyone of you be so kind and help me get them?
That might be really hard, since last fall I think?? The whole Liv line got the axe and was discontinued. :cry: One of the best dolls lines in my opinion, and they get discontinued and I think it was....last....Christmas?? that after they were discontinued, they started to slowly disappear from shelves and get smaller and smaller in numbers. Not only that, they have wigs, and what with MH being the biggest doll craze and having CAMs that need wigs, they'll most likely be bought for their wigs for someone's CAM ghoul and yeah...that's why I cringe every time I hear people mention how they bought a Liv doll/set for the wig for their CAM's and that's possibly why their prices have gone up too. >,<; So it'll be just as hard for us to find them, as it is for you, online and offline. :cry:

I forgot to mention:

there are four types of bodies that were made:
-The main body type that was used to make all their dolls with articulations at the:
+Shoulder
+Elbow
+Wrist
+Hip
+Legs
+Knee
+Foot
 the one and only good body type.

-The twist and dance body type, super terrible body with no arm articulations, only at the shoulder, no real articulation at the hip, no knee articulation, just that terrible dance gimmick

-The budget barbie like ones that were made before being discontinued, the dolls with no articulations at their joints only at the shoulder, legs, got rid of their double knee joints and were replaced with MHish knees, they were only made in like...2 lines I think?? The Liv in Color and Liv Brites that were a target exclusive. The Liv in color were budget lines, came in a slim box, the other, more expensive than it needed to be with what the body was like.

-The sleepover "pillow fighting" body. Was only made in one line, the sleepover line, not too sure since I didn't get one, but they have arm articulation like the original ones, MH knees, don't know about the hip articulations, maybe. Also, they had a gimmick where you press the button on their side, one arm does a chopping motion like they were "throwing" a pillow. Also the heads were made differently, as they had that BBE thing going on when they lay down, they sleep.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:19 AM »
There are *always* Liv dolls at the thrift stores here - are there particular dolls/items you're looking for?  'Cause I can keep my eye out since I thrift all the time anyway, and that way you won't have to pay an arm and a leg. 

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 01:15:30 PM »
Thanks for all the infos, Luvly! :hug:

They were discontinued? Are you kidding me? q__q
I thought they were great for girls since they promoted a more natural clothing style, had some nice play sets and weren't forced to wear high-heels all the time.

Aeryala, thanks for your PM! I'm currently not looking for any particular stuff, even though I have fallen a little in love with Winter Formal Daniela ^^
A few dollies to customize are everything I really need atm.

Edit: Oh, I'd also be interested in one of the horses!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:19:11 PM by Zapper »

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 01:26:44 PM »
Thanks for all the infos, Luvly! :hug:

They were discontinued? Are you kidding me? q__q
I thought they were great for girls since they promoted a more natural clothing style, had some nice play sets and weren't forced to wear high-heels all the time.

Aeryala, thanks for your PM! I'm currently not looking for any particular stuff, even though I have fallen a little in love with Winter Formal Daniela ^^
A few dollies to customize are everything I really need atm.

PS: Oh, I'd also be interested in one of the horses!
BASICALLY!! That's what I Loved about their outfits, they more realistic and down to earth than most other dolls and their bodies were proportionate. Winter Formal Daniela was also one of the ones I wanted to find, but haven't.

I swear I saw a sales thread in the MH Trade & Sale section that they had 4 Liv dolls available.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:28:54 PM by LuvlyMelody »
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 05:00:27 PM »
Luvly posted great info! :nod: I kinda-sorta collect Livs, mostly as gifts for my mom who's also a doll collector and loves them. It really does suck that they were discontinued! :(

Anyway, Zapper, I have three never-played-with nude/wigless Livs for sale or trade if you're interested in some base dolls for customizing. Two are the less-articulated Liv for Color body, one is the Twist 'n Dance body. Pics are in my trade/sale link in my sig, or just PM me if you want  ^.^
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2013, 05:22:10 PM »
Luvly posted great info! :nod: I kinda-sorta collect Livs, mostly as gifts for my mom who's also a doll collector and loves them. It really does suck that they were discontinued! :(

Anyway, Zapper, I have three never-played-with nude/wigless Livs for sale or trade if you're interested in some base dolls for customizing. Two are the less-articulated Liv for Color body, one is the Twist 'n Dance body. Pics are in my trade/sale link in my sig, or just PM me if you want  ^.^

Thanks for the offer! I'd really like to have one with the Twist'n'Dance body, just to see if it'd be possible to give them the Frankenstein treatment. The other two would only be interesting to me for their heads as I find the lack of articulation really lame :(
Say, would you be interested in trading those three for my Jasmine? (Since you seem to be into Disney dolls) ^^

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 08:19:10 PM »
Thanks for the offer! I'd really like to have one with the Twist'n'Dance body, just to see if it'd be possible to give them the Frankenstein treatment. The other two would only be interesting to me for their heads as I find the lack of articulation really lame :(
Say, would you be interested in trading those three for my Jasmine? (Since you seem to be into Disney dolls) ^^

Aww, I actually already have that very Jasmine (she's so pretty!) Otherwise I'd've loved to. Maybe we can work something else out? :) No worries if not though!

Yeah, the lesser articulation in the Color/Brite body is really sad, especially when you compare directly to the original body which is so awesome. The way the Twist 'n Dance body flails is rather funny, at least :D I haven't had one of the Pillow Fight bodies but they sound even more hilarious XD
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

angelfish

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:46:54 PM »
I have a Sleepover Sophie if you're interested!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2013, 11:47:23 AM »
I have a Sleepover Sophie if you're interested!

Mhh, maybe! What's the difference between a regular and a Sleepover body? :)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 11:50:31 AM »
They come with karate chopping action in one of their arms!! XD And they have that BBE gimmick that when they're laying down, their eyes close.
My Flickr Page

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2013, 12:03:14 PM »
They come with karate chopping action in one of their arms!! XD And they have that BBE gimmick that when they're laying down, their eyes close.

Ha! Luvly, you're my personal Liv expert! :)
Is it possible to change the eyes without damaging the BBE function?

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2013, 12:46:21 PM »
I never owned one, but Taxel does and she posted a few pictures and from how it looks, there's a seam going down the sides of her head.
My Flickr Page

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2013, 02:46:25 PM »
If you'd like detailed photos of a BBE face, just say the word! I'd guess it'd be really tough to change the eyes, but it might be possible. Just not anywhere as easily as on the normal girls.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 03:53:21 PM »
If you'd like detailed photos of a BBE face, just say the word! I'd guess it'd be really tough to change the eyes, but it might be possible. Just not anywhere as easily as on the normal girls.

I'd appreciate it a lot if you could help me out. A BBE-like mechanism would complete my Frankenstein Liv :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal