collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

• Dot Guests: 588
  • Dot Hidden: 0
  • Dot Users: 0

There aren't any users online.

Author Topic: Least Popular MH Dolls and Why?  (Read 2152 times)

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
Least Popular MH Dolls and Why?
« on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:08 AM »
I did a quick search and couldn't find a topic on this, but if I missed one in my haste to tackle this issue, please excuse me.

Anyhoo, back on topic. So I have noticed that some dolls and characters don't seem to sell very well and others are torn off the shelves. I wonder why that is and is the rarity vs. availability of the dolls what makes a difference or what. For example Robecca doesn't seem to be selling very well here in Finland and she is readily available online. Another doll that seems to warm the shelves is Skull Shores Ghoulia and to a lesser extent Skull Shores Draculaura. I wonder why that is. Any ideas or facts? :)

I do have a theory about Robecca though. Her main colors are black, electric blue ad bronze and many parents might not think she is "girly" enough for a girl's toy. This isn't based on any facts, just theorizing.

Oh! And please share which dolls seem to warm the shelves in your area!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Least Popular MH Dolls and Why?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:02:14 AM »
Oddly enough - Ghouls Rule Frankie has been on the shelf for what seems like forever-   I don't really understand it because I think she is quite cute.

Saddly, Holt Hyde warmed the shelves for a very very long time- and even went on clearance before he suddenly disappeared forever and then became the hottest thing ever.

That really is a shame because it means that he probably made the stores loose money (if they had to clearance him) and it makes it less likely he will appear in a future assortment.

jazzytheman

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2013, 09:15:33 AM »
I see a ton of Skull Shores Ghoulia wherever I go, and also Dot Dead Gorgeous doesn't seem to like to go anywhere either, it doesn't help that the stores over here overstock on the Roller Derby sets too.

Offline Wrenn_Rosencrantz

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • Somewhere over the rainbow...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2013, 09:18:49 AM »
Over my way it seems Spectra is always on the shelves.  Ghoulia too.  No matter where you go, you can pick up a Ghoulia or Spectra.  A Frankie too, though less often.
Wrenn's Wish List! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 09:31:58 AM »
Spectra is really hot stuff here, I have seen her in stores mybe once. It's a crying shame if Holt never reappears. I like his design very much, however I don't like his voice on the cartoon.

I have understood that boy dolls are less popular than girls usually and they make less of them. Could it be that they overstocked him at your local store?

I really like Holt and wish he would reappear, but that remains to be seen.

Offline Yurusumaji

• Repo!Pony
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Yield for nothing.
    • View Profile
    • My Figure Collection
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2013, 09:34:06 AM »
Skull Shores Goulia. Poor thing is such a hot mess.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Ai from Aurora
AC Wants | Furniture Catalog | Clothing Catalog

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
I did a quick search and couldn't find a topic on this, but if I missed one in my haste to tackle this issue, please excuse me.

Anyhoo, back on topic. So I have noticed that some dolls and characters don't seem to sell very well and others are torn off the shelves. I wonder why that is and is the rarity vs. availability of the dolls what makes a difference or what. For example Robecca doesn't seem to be selling very well here in Finland and she is readily available online. Another doll that seems to warm the shelves is Skull Shores Ghoulia and to a lesser extent Skull Shores Draculaura. I wonder why that is. Any ideas or facts? :)

I do have a theory about Robecca though. Her main colors are black, electric blue ad bronze and many parents might not think she is "girly" enough for a girl's toy. This isn't based on any facts, just theorizing.

Oh! And please share which dolls seem to warm the shelves in your area!

I'm not long enough into MH to be 100% sure, but I think in the Skull Shores line, Lala and Ghoulia got overproduced (?)

I can only go by my personal experience and that is as follows:
Ghouls Rule seems to be a shelf warmer over here. Maybe because the dolls were "too much" for some people. They went away from their typical clothes to something really loud and kitschy/overly fancy looking.
The fact that most German toy stores never do big price drops also adds to them still forming an army on store shelves.

Robecca not selling well is news to me. At least in my area it seems like she was the second favorite out of the three new girls: Venus, Rochelle and her. But Venus was hard to get. I remember her going up to 60 or 70€ on ebay. Rochelle never seemed to go out of stock.
I also don't think it's her skin tone that's a big problem. As far as I know Clawdeen is extremely popular.

I don't have a Robecca (yet). I love how she looks (and I love me some sentient robots!) but her Basic release didn't exactly win me over and her Dance Class release was cute, but lacking in accs (and the DC dolls are still 23€ here, I hate being a German MH fan sometimes).

So when it comes to Robby, I'm still waiting for a release for me to fall in love with. Maybe I expect her to look more steampunky. She needs at least one release with a corset and garters (lol, as if Mattel would do that)
I used to be the same way towards Operetta. Her Basic release didn't do much. Then came her 2nd fashion pack and the promo pic of her Picture Day release and I knew I needed both :lol:

Offline Icicle

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Come on everypony, smile, smile, smile~!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2013, 09:46:02 AM »
Slim box Ghoulia's (RM/SS) rot on shelves in my Walmart. But that's because my Walmart over orders things and the unwanted dolls then rot on the shelves for a while...

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2013, 09:49:12 AM »
Slim box Ghoulia's (RM/SS) rot on shelves in my Walmart. But that's because my Walmart over orders things and the unwanted dolls then rot on the shelves for a while...

Pretty sure Ghoulia rots because she is a zombie. They tend to do that!
*rimshot*
*gets boo'ed off stage*

;)

Offline ivybunny84

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Sisters of the Moon Design
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:23 AM »
Biggest shelf warmers here

All DDG
All Picture day
Scaris frankie
And RM operetta

I just think there flooding the shelf with all of them. I'm personally not a fan of Scaris frankie i think she looks much better in others. Also, these dolls have seen other lines, so everyone already has one or more in there collection, so how many more do they need sometimes. That's why I think the ones that have been in less sets sell more.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 10:07:01 AM by ivybunny84 »

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2013, 09:59:09 AM »
These were most of the shelf-warmers I've seen, at least in my area, over the course of the franchise being on shelves:

-Cleo and Deuce 2-pack (stores couldn't give these two away at one point, much of the overstock got sent to dollar/discount stores)
-Holt
-Gloom Beach (entire line)
-2.0 signature Frankie and Cleo
-signature Abbey (she was extremely rare the first time around, but after a while she was everywhere you looked)
-DOTD Frankie, Cleo, and Clawdeen
-Dead Tired Draculaura and Ghoulia
-Skull Shores Draculaura and Ghoulia
-Nefera
-Sweet 1600 Clawdeen (tons of her), Frankie, and Draculaura
-Ghouls Rule Frankie and Clawdeen
-Dot Dead Gorgeous Spectra, Operetta, Lagoona, and the Walmart 3-pack
-Scaris Frankie, Draculaura, and Clawdeen
-Roller Maze Ghoulia
-Ghouls Alive (all)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 05:48:34 AM by Mandy85 »

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2013, 10:02:56 AM »
Robecca doesn't seem to be very popular here either.  Personally, I don't love her as much in person as I did when I first saw the photos online.  I wish her hair was a lighter, or multiple, shades of blue.  There's something that just doesn't quite work with her, for me.

As far as what sits on the shelves here.. SS Ghoulia is the biggest shelf warmer, along with DDG Lagoona.  MH seems to overproduce some dolls and underproduce others.

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2013, 10:10:30 AM »
Here's the dolls that sat/still sit around forever in massive piles in the area where I live:

Holt  (not anymore) --Holts sat around forever when I first started collecting.  I guess a lot of people were avoiding the boys then?  Or maybe people just do not like him.  I have him, but he's my least favorite boy.
DotD Cleo (not anymore) -- I think her helmet of hair probably didn't help with her sales.  She looks so much better with it washed out!  Also, she appeared in both wave 1 and wave 2 of DotD, probably making her the most produced DotD doll of them all.
Dead Tired Draculaura (not anymore) -- Too many made?
Dead Tired Ghoulia (not anymore) --Too many made?
Skull Shores Ghoulia (current) -- She came in the five pack and she was everywhere on earth before then. x_x  There are just too many of her in existence I think.
Threaderella (haven't seen her lately...) -- I'm honestly not sure why this one is such a shelf-warmer!  She is gorgeous.
Scaris Draculaura (current) -- I imagine that she's a shelf-warmer because she's REALLY boring.
All of the Dot Dead Gorgeous dolls, including the Walmart 3-pack (current) -- I never particularly liked this line to begin with, but they are literally flooding the stores with them.  Not sure why...
Scaris Frankie (current) -- She's way more common than Scaris Clawdeen here.  I'm guessing that one reason she hangs around so much is she's not a particularly pretty doll, imo.  There are tons of better Frankies to choose from. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 11:56:29 AM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:06 AM »
Poor SS Ghoulia. She's one of my favourite dolls! But she was also in EVERY BOX. It was hard to find Abbey or Lagoona as they were short packed.

I think the budget lines and the super fancy lines sell a bit less well than the Signature lines, at least in my area. Though DDG seems to break that trend since it is not priced like Ghouls Rule, but there are always nine million of them on the shelf.  I didn't like that line much so I guess everyone thinks like me here :D The lines that allow for clothing switching the most and have more pieces to their outfits that can be combined with other things seem to be the most popular.

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 10:43:18 AM »
Operetta doesn't seem to be very popular in general where I live :o Plus Skull Shores Ghoulia, basic Abbey + the Ghouls Rule dolls, like everyone else said.

I used to see a lot of Sweet 1600 Cupid's around, prolly cause she was released over here at around the same time as signature Cupid (at least as far as I know); I'm guessing most people went for the doll w/ diary, lol.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal