collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lets talk sewing  (Read 3661 times)

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Lets talk sewing
« on: December 10, 2012, 04:01:55 PM »
I know I've seen Maniah's thread, but I don't want to hijack it. I've also noticed the thread with some patterns in it, but I don't want to just roll around and post in that one either since I have my own questions.

I've hand sewed for years...jeez my grandmother made me start when I visited her house as a kid. Both of my grandmothers came from the time period of mostly sewing outfits to wear rather than buying, not to mention they were farm households. It was common to make what you wore, but I can only hand sew really. The dolls and making outfits for them has kinda persuaded me into getting out a sewing machine. I borrowed one from my mother since she's taken in all the passed away family members machines. It's probably at least fifty years old, but it seems alright. It's kind of weird sewing with it though, and I've always make things like plush animals ect by hand. I've never really done outfits since those were such large projects by hand.

I have questions to ask

Do you make most of your own patterns? If you do how do you go about it?  If you simply use other patterns what are some good ones (besides waht's posted in the pattern thread obviously)

What are some materials you typically use? Then to go along with that thread types for these said materials?

I'm kind of trying to start small, but I'd def like to make some pants or shorts or legging type things.

When you sew a hem do you do it by hand or on the machine? The hem making was so tiny on the machine I thought I would die. Course not having used a sewing machine much in my life I'm a bit startled by it and prod at the thing like it's a wild animal or something.  Any particularly good videos to watch to show the basics of sewing with the machine?

I have so many questions! :yikes: :yikes:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Maniah

• This customizer is a proud pony hair licker!
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+74)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Little Custom Pony
Re: Lets talk sewing
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 04:16:06 PM »
*Stalks this thread*

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »
*passes out cookies and waits excitedly*

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
Mmm cookies! :lovey:

Formerly Maddie

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 04:49:26 PM »
Yum!

On an unrelated note, I made a "pattern" for some [hammer] pants. My sewing skills are atrocious, though. The pattern wasn't too bad. It needs some work.

I saw this website and just had to try making a pattern. Here

Also, he/she used to make DC Heroine Outfits for MH girls.... and I want one so bad!!!!! >_< If only I could sew!!!!

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
...... :ninja:... *Stalking!!*....
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 05:58:32 PM »
I have nothing constructive to add, but I did want to say, I learned how to use a sewing machine in high school, and don't remember a thing about the class now :(  Would have been a good thing to mentally hold onto!  Stupid 16 year old self!  Pay attention in class!
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 06:07:59 PM »
Hey all! It's good to know others are hunting down some sewing information and not just me. :cool:

I wish I had put a little more attention towards my sewing classes in school as a kid, but it did dawn on me the other day I'm a teacher...there is a home ec teacher down the hall. I'm pretty good friends with her, and I might be able to persuade her to help me sew a bit. I just don't know about telling her that it's for dolls. >w<

Raye: I'm sure you can sew! It's just the taking practice ect, and I'm making myself practice a bit each day with this machine to get used to it. Dang technology and its being scary! :blink:  Those are actually really neat outfits she has for her dolls, and I'm not even a huge super hero person.

Formerly Maddie

Offline rayedelsol

• Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 07:09:02 PM »
I'm hand-sewing right now, because the only machine in my house is older than my and I just can't figure it out.

Here are the Hammer Pants I sewed. I don't even know if you can call them Hammer Pants, but whatevs :lol:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dorriebelle

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 07:28:52 PM »
I'm hand-sewing right now, because the only machine in my house is older than my and I just can't figure it out.

Here are the Hammer Pants I sewed. I don't even know if you can call them Hammer Pants, but whatevs :lol:

I'd call them jodhpurs, in keeping with the pony theme ! They look great !

I also failed the sewing part of Home Ec. And my sewing's still not stellar, and I mostly make simple things, but once I knew my machine (and my machine could pick me out of a line-up of linty, thread-bedecked women), we work together really well most days. And about the only way to get that familiarization is to sew. Frequently. Lots of stuff, some which don't work, others that do. I try to sew a little every day, even if it 's just a hem or cutting a new garment out.

When you know exactly where that line of stitching is going, and you can pretty much lay it down right where you want it, you can make anything. So start with the easy stuff, tube dresses and blouses and such, and just keep going. There's a definite dearth of pants and longer skirts in the MH world, and if you can make either, you'll have the basis for some fantastic original outfits ! Watch things that inspire you to work up that eager excitement - right now, I'm enjoying the heck out of Jem, there's so much fun there I can copy !

I like cottons - fat quarters are my friends ! - and recycling t-shirt knits. Some fabrics, like many fleeces, are too thick to look right on these tiny-bodied dolls, but nearly any other fabric is doable. If you're not sure about what needle to use with which fabric, there's lots of online and print resources for ya - and lots of us here sew, and wanna help when we can !

Every work is (darn near always) better than the last. But ya gotta make that hesitant,  not-very-good first one to start !

Miserati

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »
I haven't done much sewing ultimately for dolls but everything I do is not using a machine. I do have one but it just sits there. I feel like I'm a lead foot when it comes to the pedal and I speed crooked hems into the clothing! ^_^;

I mostly use wax paper for my pattern creations. I seem to always have an abundance and it works well for me. Sometimes I just lay a doll flat onto it and trace her body shape where I want the outfit to go and go on from there. It also helps to look at patterns for humans online and make smaller versions of that with adjustments to fit.

I'm currently working on bloomers for this doll:

which I've created everything on. I use pretty much any fabric. Cottons, flannel, lycra (is a stretchy fabric that doesn't fray, it's nice!). Even though fleece is thicker I've used it for making cloaks. Silks are the bane of my existence due to the fraying.

Basically its best just to dig in! Even if you don't like what you made you then have an idea of what you can do better the next time -- and yeah it's pretty much just something that gets better the more you do it.

Offline rayedelsol

• Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:22:50 AM »
Miserati, how come I have never seen that doll before??!! She is too cute!!! And her dress! *grabby hands*

Offline bagheera86

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 04:42:26 AM »
I haven't done much sewing ultimately for dolls but everything I do is not using a machine. I do have one but it just sits there. I feel like I'm a lead foot when it comes to the pedal and I speed crooked hems into the clothing! ^_^;

I mostly use wax paper for my pattern creations. I seem to always have an abundance and it works well for me. Sometimes I just lay a doll flat onto it and trace her body shape where I want the outfit to go and go on from there. It also helps to look at patterns for humans online and make smaller versions of that with adjustments to fit.

I'm currently working on bloomers for this doll:

which I've created everything on. I use pretty much any fabric. Cottons, flannel, lycra (is a stretchy fabric that doesn't fray, it's nice!). Even though fleece is thicker I've used it for making cloaks. Silks are the bane of my existence due to the fraying.

Basically its best just to dig in! Even if you don't like what you made you then have an idea of what you can do better the next time -- and yeah it's pretty much just something that gets better the more you do it.

LOL. Lead foot, perfect description. I 'm a lead foot too!

Mum: DO IT GENTLY
Me: I'M TRYING. AHHHH!

Dorriebelle

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:52:27 AM »
I agree - Miserati, you've got a magnificently beautiful doll ! Wow ! That gorgeous dress you made suits her perfectly !  :)

This may sound weird, but I get better pedal control barefoot. Since I'm usually found in easy to kick off shoes (ballerina flats, flip-flops, slippers), I usually just slip my right shoe off under the desk, sew what I gotta, then put my shoe back on. It helps me go a lot slower when I can feel the pedal better, especially for tiny things like neckline hems. I also have the pedal pushed up against a Dollar Tree trash can I loaded with rocks, so it can't slide around. I've heard others put that 'no slip' shelf paper under the pedal or Velcro, to grip the carpet.

Might be worth a shot...

Offline PonySeeker128

• Trade Count: (+60)
    • View Profile
    • Customs
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 05:54:35 AM »
Miserati- That dress is amazing!! Totally jealous of your sewing here lol
Deviant Art~Commissions Are CLOSED~
Wishlist (MH)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal