collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: has anyone tried baking MH-dolls with fimo?  (Read 484 times)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
has anyone tried baking MH-dolls with fimo?
« on: November 13, 2012, 08:16:12 AM »
Fellow customizer,

has anyone already tried to bake a MH-doll with fimo? or do they melt quickly?
i want to add hooves on a doll, but i am scared i´m ruining it by baking. ^^"

did you tried body modifications on them already? please show me! :D
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone tried baking MH-dolls with fimo?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 08:19:03 AM »
Never tried. I would be too scared to bake them. 0^0
You can use Apoxie however. It dries by itself, no need to bake it and it's quite sturdy as well. :)
If I am not completely mistaken, there's coloured Apoxie available. You can also paint it with acrylics.

BTW, they don't have hooves (yet?), but it's always worth to check out plastic curves, they sell a lot of customizable add-ons and modifications for MH dolls. :>
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 08:21:17 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 09:30:45 AM »
I've baked with Fimo before, attaching a torso to a pony body and it was fine :) Just follow the baking instructions, and stay by the oven to keep an eye on it.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 10:25:04 AM »
good news!!
so, you did just bake the torso, the hard plastic with it? wheeh! i hope this works!
i heard about apoxie too, but wouldn´t it fall off without baking? have no experience with it so far ^^"

and wow! plastic curves is great! but no legs and hands so far. the tails and horns look awesome!
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 10:43:51 AM »
Lower legs/arms and hands are usually quite plentiful b/c they are included with every CAM, so I guess that is why they won't make them. ^^;
You can sometimes get lower arms/hands as replacement parts from Mattel's Webstore, too.

No, Apoxies does not fall off, it's a kind of plastic itself and bonds with vinyl/other plastics somehow. :)
I've used it on Munnies, Dunnies, Ponies, MH, Vinyl Dinosaurs and all other kinds of vintage-toys even for such things as delicate horns and fins - And it never fell off without breaking it off by force. ;>

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 12:01:55 PM »
oh! thatssounds real good!where do you buy yours? in germany?
well, yes, i would just need to change the legs into hooves, nothing more

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 12:53:49 PM »
Yes. I always buy it on german amazon. ^^
There are various other german webstores that sell it, just google 'Apoxie + kaufen'. But I found amazon the most reliable. Price is fine, too. ^-^

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »
wow, okay, i had to look twice at the price but i heard /have seen at puuushs  place how good this stuff is, modeling whise. whee, i am very excited, i hope i could make them properly and that the doll can stand after all. ^^"
well, i have trouble finding a good matte primer in germany too, can you recomment there something too?
now i just need good faux fur for the wig and a cattail. ^^ hopefully i have everything for my quilin together. XD
thank you for helping me so often! :D

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 09:17:30 AM »
You're making a Quilin? *v*
So awesoooome! I wanted to make one out of a G4 but never got around to it yet.. Haha.
I totally want to see your MH girl after you've finished!
(BTW, I also learned about Apoxie from dear puuuush, they should totally pay her for being such a good commercial for them.. Hahaha)

For a primer/sealant I used something from Tamiya that I had bought in Japan up until now.. But I used it up and have to buy something else. I know a lot of MH customizers use 'Mr. Super Clear'. It works as sealer and primer, too..
You can buy it from german webstores for about €11. I have not ordered it yet, tho.. So I cannot recommend a store. :|

You're welcome! ^-^ I would be completely lost myself if it weren't for all the lovely people here and on Flickr that always help out when I have questions. :>

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 09:20:17 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

Plastic Curves

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
Apoxie sculpt is the best stuff to use when sculpting modification on dolls. It does not shrink, and has it's own adhesive properties that affixes itself to the object you are sculpting on. Our new male torso is sculpted using black Apoxie on a standard torso. http://www.plastic-curves.com/fashion-doll-scale/mh-body-parts/unpainted-cast-torsos/male-torso-v2.html It is a two-part epoxie that you mix together and it chemically cures. No heat. There are a couple of different kinds that have different working times. Be sure to get the one that has the correct properties for your project. Epoxy clays can be drilled, sanded and painted.
Baking clays have a few issues. Most have some amount of shrinkage. This can result in cracking if sculpted on an object. That's the least of your problems if you mess up and end up damaging the object when baking it.
Avoid air dry clays. They definitely will shrink and they don't stick as well. You'll just end up with a crumbly mess.

Lower limbs are on our list of things to add, but they required some reengineering to be castable. I also want to make things that are unique and interesting that will sell. It's always good to make you voice heard in the various request threads we have on our forum. If a thread hasn't been created, feel free to do so. :)

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 12:12:53 PM »
plastic curves:
whohoo! Thank you for the information! you do really good work!>o<  i´m glad you´re online here!
probably, i have no time for another forum account, but i would totally support (cloven) hooves, for fauns, unicorns, qilins and such!
also, is a soft,re-shapable tail possible or do you only do hard plastic casts?

also, a biig biig request:
chubby girls. they dont have to be fat, but a little more naturally chubby? i would buy them imidiately, and i know some more here would too. i´m just fed over about skinny girls. XD
so, maybe a little more curves on the hip and on the belly? :D

and is there a chance you have flat feet on your list? ;o;

fräuleinchen kim:
yeaah! ahuman version after all. XD i plannes the dragon cam as base, but i am unsure, if i can use apoxie, i could use any doll. ^^"
this is my reference:
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs37/i/2008/274/4/f/qilin_characte_sheet_by_ankin.jpg
and in human + more natural colors:
http://animexx.onlinewelten.com/cosplay/mitglied/34088/order_5_0/348017/
well, you see, i´ll need a pair of antlers too. XD
aaand a mohair/fur wig, do you know wehre to purchase these? XD which circumfence do MH-dolls need? o.O

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:24:45 PM by emuel »

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2012, 06:18:44 AM »
Great concept! :heart:
As I said.. cannot wait to see it finished! :D

Yes, you can buy fur-wigs from ebay and etsy. I know some members here are making them, too.
Eep, I forgot what circumfence they need.. but if you ask that in the general MH-thread, I'm sure you'll have the answer you need by tonight! xD

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2012, 07:11:53 PM »
I've been eyeing BJDs because of the hooved feet and crazy jointed legs they've sometimes got.  I'd prefer to just buy a future CAM or legs from Plastic Curves *hinthint*
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal