collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: what got you into MH?  (Read 1776 times)

xia

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: what got you into MH?
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
I started collecting MH in '10 because of this blog post: http://crystal-avalanche.com/?p=1448 and secretly coveted them at the time and was absolutely broke and living in a shoebox. My finance bought the then 6(?) basics for me for my b-day and promised me that I would only collect the signatures, and the rest is history ('cept I've bought B&W Frankie and Cupid...shh don't tell him).

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2012, 09:55:58 PM »
I discovered MH in May 2011 when I was doing my usual ebay browsing for vintage Disney Princess dolls (been collecting them for ages), and I thought I'd search for fantasy/goth dolls to see what was currently available. Boom, there was the cutest little pink vampire doll with black pigtails and a parasol and a bat for a pet! :biggrin: I was in love! I'd always wished there were dolls like MH, as I love spooky-cute things  ^.^

So I spent maybe a day deciding if I could afford to collect them (the answer was no, but that didn't matter *cough*) and then ran to Walmart and lo and behold, there was my desired wave 1 Draculaura and a wave 1 Clawdeen who I also fell in love with on the spot. I bought them both (cleaning out the MH shelf by doing so XD) and then a week later, at a different Walmart, saw the rest of the wave 1s, and got Frankie and Ghoulia.  :)

I was really lucky I learned about MH when I did because that was just the tail end of wave 1 being available--all the next wave (School's Out etc) started to show up within a month or two. The first doll I seriously hunted for was Spectra and I found her in July 2011.

Then things spiralled completely out of control :lol: Now I have 50+ monsters! (I haven't counted in a while, I'm afraid to :blush:)

My favourite now is Rochelle, but Lala and Spectra will always be very dear to me :heart:

I loved reading everyone's stories! Yay MH fandom :grouphug:
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2012, 11:34:53 AM »
Being a designer and toy-nut, I heard about Mattel's new line on a blog way before release. I've never been a fan of barbie or dolls in general.. not even as a child. But I've always loved monsterssssss.. and also the combo of creepy&cute. xD
So I was looking forward to this line a lot and Mattel still gets a lot of props from me for really doing it and I'm especially happy that they're so successful with them. :)
The dolls are well made for toys, the webisodes and movies are cute and I love looking at the vector-box-art, too.

So when the first wave hit I bought a Frankie Stein to support them and b/c she was my favourite back when. And for the longest time I thought she'd remain my only doll. (YEAH RIGHT....)
Well, she even did! .. for a year or so, since G4 ponies kicked in and kept me busy.. but then G4-ponies started to bore and annoy me more and more with all their exclusives and fast paced releases and 1000000 different lines and yaddayadda. Around that time MH released Spectra and I just love ghosts so much.. and with her clear limbs she was just SO AWESOME. So back in love with MH dolls I was.

Nowadays they're the only recent toyline I kind of collect (I try not to have *that* many dolls, I still have a lot..) and the main reason I still come here. xD;

My favourite Ghoul is no longer Frankie, but Clawdeen and Abbey and yes, I get what you mean about the heels. xD
Them being thin does not bother me, but the heels sometimes do. I mean, even Ghoulia as a nerd wears heeled sneakers. xD But I guess they're just too lazy to change the mold of the feet/legs and they would not fit in flats the way they are. I don't even realize it that much anymore.. you get used to it fast. ;)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2012, 11:39:21 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #33 on: November 04, 2012, 01:32:43 AM »
wow!!  thank you all for so much feedback!
it´s great to hear all the stories, especially how you get your first dolls! >u< makes me very enthousiastic. (sp?)

yes, the photographs and ANTM makes a lot, i guess i´ll look into the webisodes in my next break today. :D

about the bodies, this may sound stupid, but has anyone tried to "obitsu" them? i know, obistsus have relatively boring bodies in comparison to HM extra features, but the quite long and thin torso scares me a bit. may be connected to, that i recently have some art-nude-drawing-lessons and try to learn how the average female body actually looks like,but maybe i really would get used to it. (but somehow, a bit chubby looks more comfortable to me XD )
annd, yes, the heeled sneakers irritated me too. XD
they make mold-differences in the hands very often, i guess lagoona has different lower legs with fins too, right? so maybe thats just the image of the brand. ^^"

i really like kalmas hands and feet, as i like sculpting anatomy too.
and i just looked the name kalma up. XD poor girl! it´s cool, but that people die if they smell her? i guess our MH-girl wouldn´t have that problem, right? and after all, they are always children of the mythologic characters, right?

oh, aand are there black MH girlies?
are thier face molds different? abbey for example looks a bit different, or is that just the print?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #34 on: November 04, 2012, 07:08:19 AM »
The werewolves are the closet to black characters in MH, and all have broader noses and darker skin, with each one actually getting their own shade which makes me happy because a lot of toys go for the generic skin, and they're all brown shades. Each girl except Cupid (she shares Ghoulia's narrow face) does actually have her own face mold though, and Abbey definitely has a broad face, which I find charming.

And I know that the thin is irkitating, but really, I don't know of a lot of people who would buy their kids a "fat" doll (anything not really skinny seems to be fat lately). What I will say is that their breasts are smaller, in proportion to their skinny bodies- baggy shirts make them vanish it feels like- and their asses and hips are wider than their chests like real womens. And my faavorite part is their feet- they have toes! All five of them, beautifully defined and visible, and the broadest part of their feet is right there around their toes, just like real people.
Weirdest part of their anatomy is the pregnant back, but now I barely even notice it because it's just how the girls are shaped.
He who serves two masters lies to one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2012, 01:18:03 PM »
I love everything about their bodies :blush:  I love just holding them.  They feel good, nice and balanced in weight.  I love the thin limbs, danity wrists, fingers.  All the joints:)  Anything different from the Barbies of my childhood, who all looked the same, from the blue eyes to the blonde hair.  You would think SOMEONE would buy me a brunette somewhere along the way :lol:

I think I'd like them to be in high heels forever, than in flats forever.  I had a few tennis shoes for my Barbies when I was kid, and it bothered me to no end that she walked on her toes in them!  At least they aren't pulling that kind of thing. 
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2012, 01:38:16 PM »
The werewolves are the closet to black characters in MH, and all have broader noses and darker skin, with each one actually getting their own shade which makes me happy because a lot of toys go for the generic skin, and they're all brown shades. Each girl except Cupid (she shares Ghoulia's narrow face) does actually have her own face mold though, and Abbey definitely has a broad face, which I find charming.

And I know that the thin is irkitating, but really, I don't know of a lot of people who would buy their kids a "fat" doll (anything not really skinny seems to be fat lately). What I will say is that their breasts are smaller, in proportion to their skinny bodies- baggy shirts make them vanish it feels like- and their asses and hips are wider than their chests like real womens. And my faavorite part is their feet- they have toes! All five of them, beautifully defined and visible, and the broadest part of their feet is right there around their toes, just like real people.
Weirdest part of their anatomy is the pregnant back, but now I barely even notice it because it's just how the girls are shaped.

I do love the fact that they don't feel like 'token' characters either. And I think Robecca counts too? I mean her skin is such a lovely shade too!

I would totally buy a fat doll. But...only if they did it right. A chubbier doll? OH HECK YES I would too.

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2012, 02:16:38 PM »
I was intrigued by the dolls when I was still in college...so it was when the news broke at the 2010 toyfair, feb 2010? I don't quite remember the exact moment. I loved the artwork and styles. It was such a unique idea and the dolls and art were really amazing. I saw the fisrt webisode and I was hooked. I got the entire signature set and wanted more...sadly since I have no room I've been good and only got 6 more. But I want to buy them all! So much regret of not getting them. ;p one day!
~Foxtale~

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2012, 12:13:08 PM »
Abbey.... XD I'm a winter freak and I loved her the instant I saw her. Now I am getting her and Rochelle... and I am waiting for a Draculaura to customize into one of my OCs
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 12:19:17 PM by Moonbreeze »

Offline Firecracker

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2012, 12:38:29 PM »
I took a peek  into the dollhouse forum about a year ago, got curious what the whole monster high fad was and saw the thread about all the releases.
I had to have spectra, I hunted for her and after finding the lone one on the shelf that was it.  I know have over 30 dolls, and looking to get more!

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2012, 03:10:28 PM »
I've been lurking in the MH discussion threads here since the dolls first came out. Back then I really wanted Draculaura and Lagoona, but I couldn't bring myself to commit to another collection since at the time, ponies were taking all my money. I still watched the webisodes and the specials and looked at pics of the dolls, but I didn't buy my first one until about six weeks ago. I went to the Wal-Mart that's a bit farther from my house than the one I normally shop at to look for blind bags and I happened to spot Signature Draculaura. I ended up going home with her. Since then, I've picked up sig Rochelle & Spectra, DDG Spectra, SS Lagoona & DT Ghoulia. I've spent more on MH now in the past 6 weeks than I have on MLP in the past six months. At least there's not tons of new MLP stuff I want. With all the main six re-releases, I guess I picked a pretty good time to get into MH.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2012, 10:48:18 AM »
ookayyy, i blame you all!!
i found myself browing on ebay for bait-dolls, when i saw clawdeen as little red riding hood.
i mean, what? thats super cute! >o<

but seriously, anyone has a baity MH for customizing left?
preferably the wolves,cats,gargoyle, kalma, abbey or robecca? can be nude and without hair, just the joint should all work fine. ;)
the point about clothes to let them look lesser thin sounds like a good plan. i still would loove a chubby doll, but i don´t see that coming soon. u.u"
and the shoes, maybe i get around that too. the detailed hands and toes are a good pro!

do the dolls stand on thier own, anyway? i saw stands but it looks like they don´t need one.

are the rumors right that there is a unicorn too? i need to research more about that!
and why do harbro sells DYS-dolls without a torso?!? O_O

well, currently, i am totally up to tradefor a bait or red riding hood clawdeen, just click my signature to see what i could offer. >o< whee,..

i blame you ALLL! mwahahaha!

thanks guys ;)

www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Just a short heads up: Little Dead Riding Hood Clawdeen is currently for sale at german REAL for 24.99. :>
She's totally one of my favorites, too! :heart:

No, they do not stand on their own. But if you sit them down or lean them against whatever, they hold up fine. Some people also glue them to surfaces for taking pictures. That way they are also able stand up w/o a stand. :)

There is a unicorn, but only as a CAM and the horn is a headpiece. There is also a custom supplier for MH dolls that delivers resin horns in custom colors and two different sizes that you can fix on to their heads permanently. :)

..as to why they sell CAMs with missing pieces.... We all have no idea! xD
Most likely b/c the original plan was for kids to own multiple sets and mix-and-match a new monster every couple of days. :)
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 11:00:01 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 11:32:21 AM »
ohh, i guess at first, it´s a good thing, we have no REAL-store nearby. *-*

the facts about the CAM are a bit disillusioning (ger=ernüchternd). i just went throght the sales forum and contacted a few people, i´ll let coincidence decide wich doll will be customized first. ^^

i really have a heart for red riding hood, even if i could get another clawdeen, i´ll sew her the costume by myself, duh!

are they selling the CAMsets in germany too, after all? never saw them in the shops. o.O

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2012, 11:40:04 AM »
Aww.. REAL is my first stop whenever I go dolly-hunting. they're usually stocked very well. :)

Yeah.. Making CAMs can be tough at times. I still haven't finished my first and I have parts for several.. Have had them for ages. But that's just the thing: I have PARTS. :P
Well at least for the first wave of CAMs Mattel has since released matching bodies and upper limbs. :> (bee, triclops, skeleton, sea monster, ...)

They are available in Germany, wherever they sell MH dolls. But they are PRICEY! About €30 for the large sets and €20 for each add-on. So buying from the US or eBay might be a wise choice. :>

Have you checked eBay for Little Dead Riding Hood? I know she gets listed by private sellers every once in a while. There should even be some listings by private sellers active right now. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal