collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: some ?s about shipping larger BJDs  (Read 2901 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
some ?s about shipping larger BJDs
« on: February 19, 2012, 02:34:17 PM »
 :lol:

So I toss the idea around in my head every so often about selling my MSD sized doll. And one of the things that tends to stop me is that finding a box that is large enough for her original box.

Any tips from you pros that sell where to find good boxes for these guys?

And while I'm on this topic , what service do you normally use? Priority? Express? Fed Ex? UPS?

And any general good packing tips? :) I certainly plan on using lots of bubble wrap.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Knibitz

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: some ?s about shipping larger BJDs
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 02:50:04 PM »
Packing tips, I ALWAYS keep the shipper boxes my dolls come in.  It's really hard to find a shipper anywhere, I've never found one.

When I ship dolls without shipping boxes I wrap the doll box in obnoxious amounts of bubble wrap, and then at least 3 layers of packing paper.  I've shipped several dolls this way and ever had a problem, but I would make sure you tell your buyer that this is what you're doing before you actually do it.

I always ship priority in the US.
Insure for the value of the doll and definitely get signature confirmation (required if you insure for 250+)
Write "FRAGILE" on all 6 sides of the package.

internationally, if I know the person, I'll ship however they want, but if I fear that someone could lie and pull a paypal claim on me for their doll not arriving, I require it go Express, since that is the only traceable method. It cost me about 60$ to ship a 4 pound 70cm doll to France this method. Make sure you actually get a real quote from a PO before agreeing to ship this method. It is different for every post office and they are finicky on pricing.

As far as packing the doll,first use the pillows/blanket/case that came with the doll and use them the way they were used when your doll came to you. To pack the doll, wrap the torso and legs first, I'd suggest doing each leg separately first and then wrap them like a mummy, then wrap each hand separately (make like a mitten over their hand), then put the hands down at the sides and wrap bubblewrap again all over the doll, and lastly wrap the dolls head (use a face protector if the doll has a face up or lashes installed) if you don't have a face protector either botch one together out of plastic you have from things around the house, or go out and buy one of those bubble drink lids they use for slurpies and such.
Before putting the mask on, take a band of bubblewrap and wrap it around the dolls head, going under the dolls chin, and then put over the face mask - Make sure that is secure (make a band out of bubblewrap and then tape it to either side of the mask, make sure it fits snugly around the dolls face)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:55:36 PM by Knibitz »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 03:04:56 PM »
I totally save good unique boxes when I get them in the mail. In fact I bought a boat load of DVDs once, and I had this nice long box... but unfortunately it is a few inches too short for this...

She was a gift from back in 2008, so I technically never had her shipping box. (sigh). We were considering mailing her with fed-ex, but I got too panicky and had her hand delivered on an airplane instead.

I have been reading that people use 3rd party insurance companies for large dollar amount items. I guess it's a less hassle that usps insurance, like u-pik (and some others). Ever heard of any of that?

I think the biggest thing I'm worried about is a box. (siiiigh~).

And I don't think i could do international on her. I think she's worth $700~$900. I get nauseated thinking about transit for tiny little ponies worth $20.... XD I think I'd have a heart attack for a doll.

Knibitz

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
the shipping company the doll compnies use to ship dolls to customers is EMS, "Express Mail Service"  we're EMI "Express Mail International" but it's all the same system.
It's perfectly safe, incredibly reliable, traceable every step of the way, and arrives in 3-5 days to almost anywhere in the world.
You really have nothing to worry about.

UPS, IMOP, is going to be a huge waste of money.
Pack it yourself, you know your doll and it's limits better than UPS does.
USPS is cheaper, faster, and dolls are flying cross country via priority constantly.

every single bjd I've gotten second hand have come USPS priority, and I've never had any problems at all.

If you're really concerned, I'd suggest unstringing the doll wrapping each piece separately, packing her in a medium flatrate box, and going that route.
No need to worry about the box. Again, I have shipped and received several dolls this method, and never had a problem.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »
Yeah, I still would have a heart attack shipping something that expensive international. I just don't like shipping things international period. ... As I said, I feel uncomfortable shipping little ponies...

And Express mail does not include tracking, it includes "delivery status information" (delivery confirmation). It looks like tracking, because they tend to scan it when it arrives at customs, and when it's delivered. But local post offices are not required to scan it. GXG is the only international service that provides true tracking services.

I thought about unstringing, but I would rather present her how she originally came, with her original box. But finding a box that is long and skinny is a pain. U-Line has some nice boxes... but I'll have to buy in bulk, I bet that will be the only place I can find a box. Mind you, I've kept my eye open for any second hand box for awhile now.

And I wouldn't let anyone else wrap her up. I wrap my expensive packages up well, and I don't trust others to do the same.

Ah well.

Knibitz

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 03:34:37 PM »
to most major countries it does track :)

^^; please just trust me on this, I've shipped and received over 40 BJDs in the past 3 years. I know what I'm doing.

I would not give you advice if I was not confident in what I know.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:40:22 PM »
It tracks but it tracks just like delivery confirmation.

:( I don't doubt that you have shipped and received a lot of BJDs. I know you have, and I really respect all of your advice. But I was actually told that information by my post master, when I was shipping a BJD to Finland. That once the item leaves the US, that local offices don't have to scan it.

You can look on the USPS webpage and see that they only call it delivery status, and that GXG actually calls it tracking.

Sigh.

Knibitz

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 03:42:51 PM »
It tracks but it tracks just like delivery confirmation.

:( I don't doubt that you have shipped and received a lot of BJDs. I know you have, and I really respect all of your advice. But I was actually told that information by my post master, when I was shipping a BJD to Finland. That once the item leaves the US, that local offices don't have to scan it.

You can look on the USPS webpage and see that they only call it delivery status, and that GXG actually calls it tracking.

Sigh.

You can no longer track it through USPS, correct.
You have to track it through their postal system then.
It's their postal system's problem then, USPS tracking will show you DC after that point
but, for example, Royal Mail, will give you more specific tracking information. If anything were to happen to it after it touched down in the UK (royal mail jurisdiction) you would claim with royal mail.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 03:48:16 PM »
I meant that, the local post offices don't always scan the item. They aren't required to. *but* many post offices are very good about scanning. And it does track. It's just kinda a grey area tracking. And GXG is the only service that advertises true tracking. There are tons of arguments about it on ebays help pages.

It's ok. I'm not worried about it, since I don't think I'll be shipping international anyway.

And I thank you for your advice. :)

Offline Prismatic

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+55)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 05:33:52 PM »
I'm not sure what size box you're looking for specifically, since I'm not familiar with how large BJDs are, but you can often get large boxes from retailers or furniture stores.  Not ones they sell, but the ones they toss.  A lot of their merchandise comes packed in large boxes (a lot of furniture comes unassembled, and come in boxes of many shapes and sizes); you could probably get a local store to hold a box for you if you talk to a manager and ask about it.  I used to work at a furniture store, and we had quite a few people come in and ask for boxes.  They may not be able to give you one right away, but they may be able to tell you when they get stock so you can go back then, before they throw them out.  Not all places are nice enough to save them, but it's worth a shot.  Usually smaller chains are nicer about that kind of thing.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:37:03 PM by Prismatic »

Offline Rabiruchi

• Magic Fantasy Hair Pony
  • Lowly Human
    • View Profile
    • http://mim-ser-rabi.deviantart.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:50:42 PM »
for packing the box, you can always cut large boxes and stick tey togheter with tape around the box to "create" a new box XDDD

About the shipping service, normally the buyer pays the shipping fee, so it depends on how much the buyer is willing to pay/wait for the doll... I'm very used with the BJD market and normally the buyer can choose how it'll be... you can state the dolls price as " X USD + Shipping" , it's a common thing for BJD people.

About packing the doll:

>just be sure to ptotect the faceup (if the doll is painted).

> Beware with the hands. wrap them well, or even separatelly so the fingers won't break.

> Beware with pointy ears, they are fragile and may also break if nor protected well.

> If the doll is wearing black/dark clothes/wig, it woul be better to take it off it to prevent staining on the resin.
~ Looking for:
  :heart: G1 Ponies: Bashful Bonnet, Goldilocks, Bowtie (shy pose) and Baby Bowtie, Flutter Ponies and Summer Wing Ponies
  :heart: Stock Dals: Heart Macaron and Classical Alice
  :heart: BJD: SOOM Lig/Nodia (head or full doll in white skin)
  :heart: Want other ponies too! Got them?
My WishList

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal