collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: HELP Funko & Hot Topic discontinued our ponies! #savethefunkoponies  (Read 15624 times)

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
Re: HELP Funko & Hot Topic discontinued our ponies! #savethefunkoponies
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 10:21:39 PM »
What matters to Funko is sales, not a petition that a bunch of people signed because from a business standpoint that means nothing. Just because people sign something that doesn't mean they will spend money on it. I'm sure there were people who wanted so badly for Funko to make Maud Pie and Cheese Sandwich, but when Funko did that they did not drop a dime on either of them. The past few releases for these have been proven to be a bust because no one wanted Cheese or Maud just like no one wanted CMC. Instead of selling out super quickly they just ended up becoming shelf warmers and when that happens to a product that ends up costing the company money.

In short your petition shouldn't be to retailers or Funko themselves, but to the consumers. If you can convince them to spend the money on this line again then, and only then, will you get Funko's attention.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline wizzer218

• Trade Count: (+153)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • love me some pony!
    • View Profile
    • www.flyinghorsearts.com
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2016, 10:57:03 PM »
I signed....man I was really looking forward to nightmare moon...darn -_-

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2016, 11:07:59 PM »
What matters to Funko is sales, not a petition that a bunch of people signed because from a business standpoint that means nothing. Just because people sign something that doesn't mean they will spend money on it. I'm sure there were people who wanted so badly for Funko to make Maud Pie and Cheese Sandwich, but when Funko did that they did not drop a dime on either of them. The past few releases for these have been proven to be a bust because no one wanted Cheese or Maud just like no one wanted CMC. Instead of selling out super quickly they just ended up becoming shelf warmers and when that happens to a product that ends up costing the company money.

In short your petition shouldn't be to retailers or Funko themselves, but to the consumers. If you can convince them to spend the money on this line again then, and only then, will you get Funko's attention.

The last 2 waves were terrible choices to be honest. Lots of people don't care for Maud or Cheese but were really excited for NMM and Crys. People weren't buying them because they didn't like the characters they chose not because they don't like Funkos.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 12:06:49 AM »

The last 2 waves were terrible choices to be honest. Lots of people don't care for Maud or Cheese but were really excited for NMM and Crys. People weren't buying them because they didn't like the characters they chose not because they don't like Funkos.
I am guessing they went with MaudCheese due to thinking the brony crowd would buy them, especially with how popular Maud became in a short amount of time.
I didn't even think Cheese Sandwich was all that popular to start, even though I do like the character himself.   
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 05:35:48 AM »

I am guessing they went with MaudCheese due to thinking the brony crowd would buy them, especially with how popular Maud became in a short amount of time.
I didn't even think Cheese Sandwich was all that popular to start, even though I do like the character himself.   

They should have done what I Love Fine did with the chibis and had a poll. Because honestly this decision to run Cheese and Maud first has made them lose money.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 05:39:58 AM by Wardah »

Av by Moonflower.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 08:23:36 AM »
Just another sign of how MLP is finally starting to drift from pop culture...  *dances*  Perhaps G5 will be around the corner!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 08:29:25 AM »
Just another sign of how MLP is finally starting to drift from pop culture...  *dances*  Perhaps G5 will be around the corner!

With the movie coming out next year and lots of new toys yet to be released (not to mention that Hasbro's recent financial statement said the ponies are still doing well), I doubt it. Whether you like it or not, the ponies are still popular even if the brony crowd thins out...

But yeah, I still think the major issues here are production costs and choice of characters to release first. Seeing as Funko is releasing those weird pony MyMojis soon, they clearly still have the license and are just moving in a different direction with it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2016, 08:39:25 AM by Rainbowrific Renia »
Instagram / Want List

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2016, 08:30:41 AM »
Just another sign of how MLP is finally starting to drift from pop culture... 

Thank goodness!

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2016, 09:18:23 AM »

With the movie coming out next year and lots of new toys yet to be released (not to mention that Hasbro's recent financial statement said the ponies are still doing well), I doubt it. Whether you like it or not, the ponies are still popular even if the brony crowd thins out...

But yeah, I still think the major issues here are production costs and choice of characters to release first. Seeing as Funko is releasing those weird pony MyMojis soon, they clearly still have the license and are just moving in a different direction with it.
There's a difference between leaving the pop culture scene and becoming irrelevant.

I think what we're seeing is the end of the experiment of Hasbro essentially exporting their work to third party companies.  Companies like Funko were making actual pony figurines which should be Hasbro's job.  Now, it seems they are shifting back to the more classical role of making more peripheral merchandise.  Hopefully, not able to just pass the buck to other companies, Hasbro will concentrate more on make their own stuff both better and with more variety.

The failure of Maud and Cheese Sandwich also suggests fad chasing has finally proven unprofitable.  These characters come in, generate a lot of noise, and fade away.  Really, neither Maud or Cheese Sandwich are all that nice to look at.  The real appeal was the former sounds like Raven and the latter is voiced by Weird Al.

We also have to remember, Hasbro has the inertia was a small planet.  They are very slow to answering to one of their "brilliant plans" going wrong.  G4 is still successful enough to keep going.  However, this hopefully means the influence of bronies is on the wane, and the brand will refocus on being a brand for children (and the adults who are children at heart).
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2016, 09:40:46 AM »

There's a difference between leaving the pop culture scene and becoming irrelevant.

I think what we're seeing is the end of the experiment of Hasbro essentially exporting their work to third party companies.  Companies like Funko were making actual pony figurines which should be Hasbro's job.  Now, it seems they are shifting back to the more classical role of making more peripheral merchandise.  Hopefully, not able to just pass the buck to other companies, Hasbro will concentrate more on make their own stuff both better and with more variety.

The failure of Maud and Cheese Sandwich also suggests fad chasing has finally proven unprofitable.  These characters come in, generate a lot of noise, and fade away.  Really, neither Maud or Cheese Sandwich are all that nice to look at.  The real appeal was the former sounds like Raven and the latter is voiced by Weird Al.

We also have to remember, Hasbro has the inertia was a small planet.  They are very slow to answering to one of their "brilliant plans" going wrong.  G4 is still successful enough to keep going.  However, this hopefully means the influence of bronies is on the wane, and the brand will refocus on being a brand for children (and the adults who are children at heart).

Tbh it seems Funko is shifting a little bit of their focus to a more Claires than Hot Topic audience. They have noticed the Mystery Minis are turning out to be popular with tween youtubers. (Could it be that girls aren't outgrowing the cartoon as much?) That's why they are also bringing out the Mojis. Tweens supposedly love emojis. That's also why we will probably see more Mystery Minis for the movie.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2016, 12:07:22 PM »
I don't get the "craze" with Emojis.  They're the Smiley Face with a little more detail.

And if tweens are staying with this cartoon, I wonder if that is why we've seen more new characters in the main line.  Try to get them to go out and buy ponies again.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Rainbowrific Renia

• A Pony Lost in the Stars
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Crazy ferret lady!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
Ah okay. Yeah, I agree that seeing the end of the brony influence on ponies will be nice. I still think that's the only reason we got Maud and Cheese Sandwich in the first place. I really can't think of any other reason why we got them before the obvious big sellers.
Instagram / Want List

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2016, 12:21:22 PM »
I do admit that I am glad the MLP brony craze is dying down, if in part because some of the 'brony' merchandise was obnoxious/"loud". Especially the shirts. ^^'
And this is coming from someone that LOVES graphic tees.

I don't get the "craze" with Emojis.  They're the Smiley Face with a little more detail.

And if tweens are staying with this cartoon, I wonder if that is why we've seen more new characters in the main line.  Try to get them to go out and buy ponies again.
I don't get the Emoji craze, either. Especially when it comes to the "poop" one.

Maybe Hasbro is finally realizing they should maybe release other characters besides the mane 6 and princesses all of the time. I do hope distribution gets better - they did good for Starlight Glimmer(? - name escapes me at the moment), but its a shame Holly Dash basically got skipped in the States.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline Midnight_Dream

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • May the llama be with you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2016, 03:16:59 PM »

Did I ever once say people weren't buying because they don't like Funkos? No. You sort of missed my point altogether.

Offline MandarinCupcake

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Mandrixa - Etsy Shop
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2016, 04:44:25 PM »
It's unfortunate that they discontinued. I was so looking forward to Nightmare Moon :( But I can understand why. A couple of people have mentioned that Hot Topic has stopped carrying them. While I'm sure part of it is moving onto the next big pop culture phenomenon, I feel like part of it also has to do with some people purchasing 24 of each character in hopes to get the glitter chase, then returning the rest. That is a huge lose for Hot Topic and Funko. They see a huge spike in sales, and then have to return a portion of it. For every person who bought 24, got their glitter, then returned the remaining 23, that is roughly $460. Couple that with characters who aren't that popular (seriously, I agree with you all who have brought up Maud and Cheese before NMM and Chrysalis?), declining interest, and a switch to a new pop culture series. I'm sad that they are gone, they are really wonderful figures when their quality control is good. And I do hope that petition works. I'd love to see Nightmare Moon!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal