collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Should I complain to Hasbro?  (Read 4629 times)

xXCosmicBurstXx

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Should I complain to Hasbro?
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
You should email them. They may offer you a replacement. Although I wouldn't send back Lily Blossom because she's one of the harder to find ponies. (at least in my area) Hopefully the amount of  factory defects will decrease over time. 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »
G1's were simply made to higher standards, with better quality assurance.  Considering a pony today costs the same as one back in the early eighties, when you account for inflation at a modest 1.5%:

5$ Original price in 1982.
Ten years: 5.80$ - 1992
Twenty years: 6.73$ - 2002
Thirty years - 7.82$ - 2012

So today's ponies cost a mere 64% of what they should cost, had price kept up with inflation.  You can bet that the missing 36% is not coming out of Hasbro's bottom line...

G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Fanimusmaximus

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
Well I don't think you should complain to hasbro, but you should let them know about it.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »
G1's were simply made to higher standards, with better quality assurance.  Considering a pony today costs the same as one back in the early eighties, when you account for inflation at a modest 1.5%:

So today's ponies cost a mere 64% of what they should cost, had price kept up with inflation.  You can bet that the missing 36% is not coming out of Hasbro's bottom line...

They are still just $5 here

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »
I think it'd understandable to voice your concerns. It's well known that collectors buy ponies and expect new ponies to be in reasonable condition!
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2012, 08:35:00 PM »

Baby Sugarberry is in Canada, pricing is probably different there. Example, singles are average $9-10 here

Offline Tropical_Sunset

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 08:45:16 PM »
There is no excuse for shoddy "brand new" products.  Let them know!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Even with inflation, I'm guessing that G1s had to be more costly to make than G4s.  They are much larger than G4s and used more materials.  And they look so much nicer, have better detailing and sculpts, etc. 
Hasbro's plummeting quality control is inexcusable. :/
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 08:58:07 PM by Tropical_Sunset »

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 09:11:17 PM »
G4's (the basic ones) are 5$ here as well, what I'm trying to say is that they *should* cost closer to 8$, if you take inflation into account.  5$ had more buying power in 1982 than it does in 2012. 

That "missing" money has to be taken out somewhere, and it's either going to come out of bulk material quality (producing smaller toys, which also cost less to ship), material cost (using inferior quality materials), labor (which is why toys are made in China) or quality assurance (not discarding imperfect batches of heads/bodies that don't match, mispainted toys, dirty toys, etc.)

G4's have solid bodies, so I'm not sure they use significantly less plastic than the larger, but thinner shelled originals.  Weigh them both, then decide.  ;)

As for where you can put the blame, I would suggest placing it squarely on the "Wal-Mart mentality" of today; expecting more and more for less and less.  This is the end result; companies look to cut corners so they can stay competitive. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline cobalte

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Oh I see... sorreh for misinterpreting.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 01:55:32 AM »
xD oh opps I get you now!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2012, 07:13:11 AM »

As for where you can put the blame, I would suggest placing it squarely on the "Wal-Mart mentality" of today; expecting more and more for less and less.  This is the end result; companies look to cut corners so they can stay competitive. 

THIS.

I hope you get something for your effort, Emfen! If it were me, I would keep Lily Blossom, since she's not in stores anymore and is a popular character. If Hasbro asks you to return her, no saying what you might get. Like someone said, might even be a G3.5. -.-
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2012, 07:52:56 AM »
I'd rather keep her and use her as a bait or something, since I could possibly trade for a better looking one.

This is the response I got:
"Hello Emma,

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your my Little Pony product.

You are welcome to send it to me, and I will replace it with a similar item from the assortment- unfortunately I cannot guarantee it will be the exact same pony."

I don't think I should send her back...
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline hokuspokus

• Undiscovered 8th pony in the 7TALES series
  • Trade Count: (+108)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Touch my plastic face
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2012, 08:17:16 AM »

WHAT?!

They are €8 over here!!!!!!! thats over $10! :O

Offline Emfen

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Scented Moonlight Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLW Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2012, 08:28:44 AM »
I bought my lily blossom for 12$. The price for the singles varies between 10-14$. I've seen one shop in town who does sell the singles for  16$!  :shocked:
~✿~| No longer actively collecting. |~✿~

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2012, 10:25:36 AM »
Also remember the economy was a different place in the 80s. Jobs werent outsourced as much.  Now one quality control person might do the work of three
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal