collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: [NPA] Hand Sewn Feminine things [New!]  (Read 1972 times)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
[NPA] Hand Sewn Feminine things [New!]
« on: April 08, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
I'm really not sure if I can put this here? I mean its not graphic, but I guess some people might be uncomfortable? But Idk, it IS a "Craft?" I guess if it needs to be removed, I understand?

But for the last few years Iv been ALL ABOUT recycling or just avoiding wasteful consumption in general. Its been an interesting journey, cutting back on MANY things, changing my ways, trying to get the nonbiodegradable leavings to a bare minimum. Iv still got a long way to go.

One thing I discovered was cloth pads, >_> I know a lot of people feel very strongly against it, but I made the switch for more reasons then just, "less waste" as I am also allergic to most feminine products of that type. I wont go into details about that. BUT I did just start making my own.

This is the first one I made, and I had to sew it by hand, since my machine is being buggery at the moment.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It doesn't have snaps yet, but Idk I kinda just wondered if people were interested in this kinda thing? I.. don't plan on selling them any time soon, and I certainly wouldn't be selling them here lol. I just wanted to get an idea.. When I bought my first set it was REALLY expensive. >.< like $30 for 2 pads... Which I find kinda ridiculous, even if you can use them over and over for years. I kinda wanted to offer something that was good quality for an affordable price you know?

I spent $22 at Jo-Anns, I got all the different materials I needed, Fleece for backing, PUL and toweling for inner core, and Flannel for topping, then snaps, needle, thread... and I reckon I can make about 15 with that alone, maybe more.
Even if I only sold them for $7 a piece I would be making a profit. (assuming people actually bought them) lol.

I love sewing, and I love the idea that I could make an affordable product that not only helps people, but also the environment. I would just really love some opinions. >.<

--------Update-------
OK! I got my sewing machine sorted!

I made a different pattern, based on quite a few other pads Iv seen floating around. I hand make my patterns because I don't have a printer. This one was also rushed, because everyone was going to sleep and i REALLY wanted to make one on the machine. (OMG so much quicker haha of course)

This one looks really rough, because im still not a pro at machine sewing, so ill keep it for myself, but here it is. I think I already prefer this shape. :D

So this is a large pad, I haven't made light/liners yet, because Im really just making them for me, and what I need, at this point. until I get comfortable/more efficient at making them.
I used the same formula as above, flannel, terry, PUL, Fleece.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 09:13:20 PM by True »
:heart: My Sales Thread :heart:
Toola Roola Avatar by Pikashoes!

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: [NPA] Hand Sewn Feminine things
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2015, 12:52:33 AM »
I think this sounds like a viable and admirable idea. Cloth pads have been becoming more popular over the last couple of years, so there should be a market for them. BFs sister uses them and I think she got hers on Etsy or Ebay, so I'd check out how much they are going for on those places firstly. Sis is on skiing holiday this week, but I will 'market research' her when she's back if you like!  :lol:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »
yeah etsy was where i WANTED to buy mine xD but, since I haven't set up my paypal yet, had to go elsewhere. I found a UK based site who sells them very reasonable and got a few there.

Someday if I do sell them, Id probably sell them as kits, like 5-7 for $20 (instead of just TWO) lol and I think $4-5 sound more reasonable for a single. I haven't sorted out exactly how many I can make, and the exact costs yet.

But sure, I would really appreciate any feedback. ^-^

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 03:29:43 AM »
I don't have periods at the moment due to an IUD, in fact I haven't for about 8 years. If I did though I would be thinking about re-useable pads and the one you made, it looks great!  I don't know how prices compare so I can't help you out there but I think if it's viable then go for it! As Whippycorn says you'd need to check the prices you can do against Ebay and Etsy. Try to get a unique brand name going ASAP and use it for trading so you can at least claim'prior art' if anyone tries to pinch your idea. And maybe if you can develop a USP compared to similar products people will remember your product. If so, you might consider registering the trademark but I'm not sure how that works in the USA.  I went to a talk in Cambridge recently about periods and people were saying how in schools, girls are taught about periods using leaflets and resources that promote disposable products from big companies - you might consider offering a better alternative? Maybe something web based? Anyway, best of luck with it!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 05:14:19 AM »
I think it's a great idea!  I use pads from Lunapads, love them.  They're better for the environment, and perfectly hygienic if cared for properly-- plus up until about 50 years ago, that's what women have had to rely on for thousands of years.  I love that some groups donate them to girls in third world countries, where having their period essentially takes them out of school for 5 days and really limits their education.
I don't know much about marketing, but etsy and ebay sound good, there's a market to be filled so go for it!  Good luck (wish I was talented at sewing!) :)

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 06:03:55 AM »
@Artemesia Floc: Those are some good ideas! Iv also been trying to think up a name for them. Haven't nailed it yet, but I like "Truly..." something. xD Just have to keep working with it. I have a few friends I might try and use as "testors" lol as one already uses cloth diapers with her babies, I feel like that might be a place to start? And the other is working towards a self sustainable lifestyle.

@daffodil101: ooh! When I bought all the materials at Jo-Ann, I got to talking to the cashier about it and they brought up, how their friend had made a ton of cloth pads to send to Africa for the women over there. I would love to be able to contribute to something like that someday!
Iv noticed a lot of people who don't like it, are mainly worried about cleaning them and stains and smell. And I haven't run into any of these as "problems" in fact I haven't noticed a smell at all, since they don't have all the chemicals in them like disposable pads. I pre-soak mine over night and haven't had any staining, its honestly been really easy to care for them. However, this is only my second cycle using them, so I'm still pretty new.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 07:23:20 AM »
Always something I have wanted to try but I want to see how the DivaCup works first!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

shintoji

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
this is a good idea! i never even knew that was a thing until now. if you sell, i'll be up for buying! so much money saved in the long run! :heart:

Offline CoonhoundBetty

• Skeen's Minion
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • SAHM/Wife of an artist/word nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
They aren't for me, but I see a lot of them on pattern groups and mom2mom sale pages on FB. They are pretty popular. I always crack up when someone posts a picture of one with a character on them, like a vampire or a shocked person. So funny to have a sense of humor about it :)

Offline Sumire

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 12:17:08 PM »
I've used mine for years, mostly Lunapads but also some GladRags. They're stained at this point but they're pads so I can't figure out why that would be an issue. :huh: I'm not showing them off to people after all. :P They do their job even years after I purchased them so I feel, even considering the water used in soaking and washing, they've done their fair share of resource saving.  Washing them out is a hassle there's no denying that. I grumble about it every cycle but I do it and have never given a thought to stopping. It saves so much money and so much waste. Plus they just feel so much better to me.

I think there is definitely a market for them although it's not a constant one as they do last a long time. If you're trying to woo the super-environmental crowd you'll want unbleached cotton and hemp cores and the like or you could go the route of recycled old clothing/toweling but you may be losing out on those with fears of dye with the second option. Making some for charity is a lovely plan and I find the market of those who are concerned about their environmental impact seriously overlaps with those who are concerned about helping humanity so marketing that as well wouldn't be a bad call.
If wishes were horses, they'd be My Little Ponies.
Thanks to moonflower for my adorable adoptable!

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 01:44:22 PM »
@ lovesbabysquirmy: Iv heard some people using cloth pads with their cups, just in case. Iv never tried a cup though, and personally (for reasons unrelated to the actual cup lol) I probably will not. But It DOES seem like the easiest thing, especially with cleaning lol.

@shintoji: xD Maybe you can be one of my Guinea Pigs! haha :p

@CoonhoundBetty: ROFL When I was buying the material I saw some Vampire prints and thought... well that would just be goofy xD

@Sumire: Iv had the same though, I mean I AM trying to fight stains, but if one happens.. Im not really going to be too fussed about it xD I mean its not like ANYONE is going to see them but me lol. I haven't had much trouble cleaning them anyway. I have a pretty short cycle 3-4 days with maybe 1 day of spotting after. I was originally instructed that most people usually don't wash them until the end of their cycle, even if its a longer one.

Iv been working on my pattern, I wasnt really happy with the way the wings folded on mine, and i really dont want to make another one by hand. xD So I'm still just playing with ideas.

Offline daffodil101

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 09:29:12 PM »

Iv noticed a lot of people who don't like it, are mainly worried about cleaning them and stains and smell. And I haven't run into any of these as "problems" in fact I haven't noticed a smell at all, since they don't have all the chemicals in them like disposable pads. I pre-soak mine over night and haven't had any staining, its honestly been really easy to care for them. However, this is only my second cycle using them, so I'm still pretty new.

I think they're much more discreet in terms of, well, smell.  The disposable ones, you can just sense the chemically smell.  (Don't know what brand it is that I'm always picking up on, or if it's all of them.)  I frequently notice women coming into the shop or on public transport, and you can smell it, it's pretty distinctive.  When I occasionally have to use a disposable one I always wonder if people can tell!  But the cloth ones are so natural, I never worry about that.  I feel a lot more confident wearing them.

It's true you can get a TINY bit of staining after a while, though i find not on the pads themselves, more on the little band-things that hold the extra layer in place, not sure if they're made of cotton or synthetic.  (I've had them for probably 3 years.)  I've read you're supposed to quickly clean and soak them in mild detergent at the end of the day, and refresh the water each night until you do a load of washing. 

The site I bought mine from had plenty of customer testimonials about all the concerns people may have.  That really helped me make the decision to try them.  Everyone who uses them seems to be really happy with their choice  :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 09:50:26 PM by daffodil101 »

Offline True

• Eartha Uncorn
  • MOC Mimic
  • Unicorn of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Truly Customs
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 02:03:22 AM »
In my case.. id be more likely to get hard water stains xD... but im pretty pro at avoiding those at this point.

Today I finally got the tool I needed to attach the snaps, so neat! xD

Offline Uninu

• Glows and sparkles in the dark
  • Trade Count: (+80)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 02:44:57 AM »
Great idea and I'm sure you'll have a market if you decide to sell them. :)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 12:43:55 PM »
I assume everyone knows to soak in cold water first? Should get the stains out but not once they've set. Great thread!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal