collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Parting with the Ponies...  (Read 318 times)

Offline Cyber-Satan

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
Parting with the Ponies...
« on: August 03, 2014, 07:25:29 AM »
:sad:
I'm a student heading to Univeristy this year - and because I'm moving out of home my bedroom isn't going to be used as often so my parents are planning on packing my stuff away and leaving the room plain. I have no issue with that, but then I remembered that means I have to pack up the ponies too. :cry:
I've been collecting since I was around 6 years old, and I know I gotta grow up but I don't know how I feel about my ponies being boxed and put in the loft.
I'm planning on taking a few of them with me - but I can't take too many perhaps 3 or 4.
My Mum suggested I archive them into a book of sorts, taking photos and writing about them but I really don't want them to just sit in a box getting damp etc.
I really don't want to part with them - but I know it's gotta be done.

Do you guys have any ideas what I should do with them?
Should I sell them? Box em? Let me know.
 :wail:

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
Re: Parting with the Ponies...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 07:43:30 AM »
That stinks!  I'm so sorry  :(  I would not sell them yet as you seem like you are not done with pony collecting. You may regret parting with them once you are out of college or even out of a dorm and have space to display once again.  I think your mom has a great idea in archiving them by taking a picture of each one and writing about it and putting them in a binder you can take with you. 

I am sure there are threads around that outline ways to safely store ponies.  Some general tips I've seen over the years: use acid free, white paper so you don't stain the ponies, don't leave accessories on them which can leave stains, wrap chartreuse hair in plastic wrap before wrapping ponies in paper and storing so that it doesn't touch the body and stain.  This may be true of some other colors too, I'm not sure.  Try to put them in a dry, fairly constant temp storing place. I know there are people here who have their collections in storage and can offer more specific advice. 

If you take a picture of each pony and then carefully wrap it for storage, the ritual of doing that may make it easier to be away from them for so long and you will have piece of mind knowing they are safe for the time when you can either put them back on display or are sure you want to part with them and can put them up for sale.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline SpookyTrees

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 08:21:21 AM »
I agree Uni isn't forevor and you may end up regretting it!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Gloomygirl777

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
I don't really understand why they feel the need to pack away ALL of your stuff.......why can't the poor ponies stay out!!?? :( Growing up doesn't mean you have to get rid of your collection.

Offline Cyber-Satan

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2014, 08:27:20 AM »
I don't really understand why they feel the need to pack away ALL of your stuff.......why can't the poor ponies stay out!!?? :( Growing up doesn't mean you have to get rid of your collection.

They say the only reason they're packing my stuff and ponies is because it's going to gather dust. Which makes sense because my room is just full of stuff.
I don't expect them to clean/dust for me because there is ALOT of stuff. :P

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2014, 08:48:28 AM »
I agree with not selling, not yet anyways. Is the university far from your home? Maybe you can switch the ponies you are keeping with you every now and then. Is taking all of them with you out of question? I'm in uni too, and I actually have all my ponies with me. My collection isn't that big yet though.

Offline Thunderwing

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+171)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/springwater_valley/home.html
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 08:49:07 AM »
What if you packed them into totes - without the lids on tight - and put them under the bed? That way they won't get damp or anything being in storage. Or into breathable cardboard boxes, and then into the closet? Out of sight, not gathering dust, but in a lived-in part of the house.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
What if you packed them into totes - without the lids on tight - and put them under the bed? That way they won't get damp or anything being in storage. Or into breathable cardboard boxes, and then into the closet? Out of sight, not gathering dust, but in a lived-in part of the house.

This is a good idea :) I would definitely not sell them yet either :) maybe you can also try to find those moisture-capturing packs, i don't know their exact name, but like the ones they put with shoes etc in stores?
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Cyber-Satan

• Captain Jack Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 09:15:22 AM »
Does anyone think putting them in seal-up sandwich bags would be okay?
I'm on a low budget so cheap storage would be ideal. ^.^

Offline Bibinettepony

• Tickle, the Rainbow Pegasus Queen
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2014, 09:06:10 AM »
oh yes please do not sell them you may regret it!! even if you collect for long time and you are in  love with them  ;) Yes put them into sandwich bags and then in boxes they will be keep safe  ;)
MLP forever MLP pour toujours

flyawayraven

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 09:14:27 AM »
Please hold onto them! I got rid of all my childhood ponies when I was about 13 or so because I thought I should start playing with "grown up horses", like Breyers, and I have regretted it ever since.

I think sealed sandwich bags would work okay. You could probably store them in a big, lidded plastic tub after they're bagged up. If you're able to, you probably should have each pony in their own sandwich bag. That way, you won't wind up with any accidents like dye bleeding onto other ponies, or a plasticizer leak wreaking havoc. But I understand that could be a lot of bags and a lot of space. :x

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:39:37 AM »
As others have said, its not forever and your ponies are going to be there again when you get a chance to display them. I would simply pack them safely away for the future.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal