collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Shadowlark's Cleaning/Restoration Thread (PIC HEAVY)  (Read 22950 times)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowlark's Cleaning/Restoration Thread (PIC HEAVY)
« Reply #105 on: February 07, 2014, 07:25:48 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Girl, you work wonders. 

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2014, 11:49:15 AM »
Great work on Seashell, I've seen some that are quite dark but usually it's either a head or a body and sadly not the twain! She looks fantastic  :)
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

GreenMare

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2014, 12:02:53 PM »
I think you have done miracles! They all look fantastic!
You may have said this already, but how do you go about curling the hair so beautifully? I am restoring a few ponies and trying to do their hair in a similar way but the technique I have tried isn't as effective?

Offline shadowlark

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 05, 2014, 12:36:10 PM »
Awww thanks! Seashell was one of my faves as a kid, so it was nice to get her looking healthy again!

Hair tips:

For mane curls like I did on SS Twilight I used rollers.

For tail curls - for one big curly, I wrap it around a marker. At the end of the hair, I wrap a paper towel around the end to hold it in place and then secure with an elastic, but not too tight or it might leave an indent in the hair :)

For straw curls, practice makes perfect! I think I usually do about 4 curls for the tail. Basically the same as the marker, just smaller sections wrapped around straws. At the start of the wrap, ie by their bum, I'll put a bobby pin to hold it secure, with the wave part of the pin on the inside of the straw so it doesn't make indents. Then the paper towel at the end secured with another bobby pin.

Right before I do any hair styling, I run the hair under really hot water for a few seconds. Apparently the hot water makes it hold the curl better. Not sure if that's true as I've never tried cold water

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 05, 2014, 02:39:30 PM »
They all turned out very good! I love to see before and after ponies. I have done a few myself. I am most proud of my SS Twlight that I did in the past :)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

She was horrible when I first got her!

After I am all done with her :)

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 05, 2014, 11:02:30 PM »
Your SS Twilight looks great deflocked! She's on my list to try and find cheap to deflock. Soooo pretty!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 05, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
Okay, question - when you say 'I had to put on three coats to protect her symbol,' are you painting the eyes/symbols with white paint to protect them from the sun? does it work? I've tried tinfoil before, which works perfectly, but it's near to impossible to get the tiny spots fully covered, without just resorting to a block of foil, which results in clumpy fading results near the eyes/symbols.

They all look GORGEOUS, by the way!! I can't wait to see who you do next!
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

svetilda

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2014, 01:05:47 AM »
Awesome work! Love you collection especially babies Applejack and Bow Tie! And thank you for the restoration tips you're giving!

Offline Khema

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2014, 01:20:17 AM »
they don't even look like the same ponies! You did a fantastic job!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2014, 03:35:09 AM »
Your SS Twilight looks great deflocked! She's on my list to try and find cheap to deflock. Soooo pretty!

Thank you , when I got her I was washing her and her flocking was falling off. So I had no choice and of course her hair was horrible. I know there are more out there :)

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
Aww thanks everyone!  :blush:

Okay, question - when you say 'I had to put on three coats to protect her symbol,' are you painting the eyes/symbols with white paint to protect them from the sun? does it work? I've tried tinfoil before, which works perfectly, but it's near to impossible to get the tiny spots fully covered, without just resorting to a block of foil, which results in clumpy fading results near the eyes/symbols.

Yes, that's it exactly - just plain white paint and then remove with rubbing alcohol, but rub VERY gently when removing the paint - I've rubbed too hard cause I get impatient and rub a bit of the symbol off. That's what happened with Sugarberry - if you look closely, you'll see her symbols were a tad bit darker in the before picture and lighter in the after - got too impatient to get the white paint off. But there was no way I was going to try and tinfoil around her symbol!

Maybe practice on a more baity pony until you get the hang of how hard to rub the paint off. :)

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2014, 02:21:15 PM »
Aww thanks everyone!  :blush:

Yes, that's it exactly - just plain white paint and then remove with rubbing alcohol, but rub VERY gently when removing the paint - I've rubbed too hard cause I get impatient and rub a bit of the symbol off. That's what happened with Sugarberry - if you look closely, you'll see her symbols were a tad bit darker in the before picture and lighter in the after - got too impatient to get the white paint off. But there was no way I was going to try and tinfoil around her symbol!

Maybe practice on a more baity pony until you get the hang of how hard to rub the paint off. :)

I may have a cunning plan. I'm going to try flour and water paste or children's poster paint that might come off with water alone...
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline shadowlark

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2014, 02:41:51 PM »
I may have a cunning plan. I'm going to try flour and water paste or children's poster paint that might come off with water alone...

Ooh let me know if that works!!

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #118 on: April 06, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »

Ooh let me know if that works!!

I am just about to get a load of very grubby looking USA ponies, I'm really excited. I think I'm most likely to go with white goache, I'll try the bottom of somepony's feet first  :)

Offline FarDreamer

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • The "Mystery" Pony from Firefly's Adventure!
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Preservation Project
« Reply #119 on: April 06, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »

Oh!  Good idea!!!

:heart:  www.MLPpreservationproject.com  :heart:
A comprehensive resource for information on the restoration
of ponies, accessories, and playsets from all generations!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal