collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When isn't it worth it?  (Read 2811 times)

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
Re: When isn't it worth it?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:26 PM »
Personally, I feel like a pony is only "past the point of no return" if it's actually like...missing HUGE chunks out of it, like legs are totally missing or someone's cut chunks out of it maybe. Even that's not a total waste, though, as I know many people are VERY good with sculpting materials, and if someone considers the pony "baity" then they'd be using sculpting materials to customize it anyway, so why not just restore him or her?

I haven't started cleaning up my own ponies yet, but every pony that passes through my hands will be fixed up to some extent before being sold, traded, or given away - just because I'm afraid that if I send a grubby pony off to someone else, they will consider it "bait" and totally destroy it to customize  :blush: :huh: To me, knowing that I did my best to save a pony (especially a G1) is invaluable. I have said before on other threads that I don't agree with customizing G1 ponies, but the practice makes me especially uncomfortable if people are doing it just because they think they can get more money from a custom. When you start ruining vintage ponies just so you can make a buck, I would have a real problem with that. They're not a renewable or infinite resource, and even the ponies who seem common now will eventually become HTF and rare if everyone keeps customizing them without a thought; not everyone has every pony (even the ones you might think everyone already has), and I hate to think that someone might end up wanting say, Peachy or Sundance or Lemon Drop or the Kellogg's baby - but will not be able to find one ever, because they've all been turned into customs of OCs or customs of ponies that are currently HTF  >_<

I don't know, I tend to think in the long term about the bigger picture a lot of the time, and particularly about collectibles. I know we all like to think "oh well I'm never selling these, they will always be mine so I can do what I want with them" - but we never know what might happen in the future. One day you might be in a really tight financial spot and need to sell some of your collection to make ends meet; you might one day decide you don't want to collect anymore and would like to pass your ponies on to someone else; and eventually we all will pass on and our ponies will move on to new hands. And who's to say those new owners wouldn't have been happier with a genuine MLP than with a pony who USED to be genuine?

Anyway, lol so long story longer, I don't think it's ever "not worth it" - if you don't personally have the time or inclination to restore a pony, there are always lots of other people who would be more than happy to bring the pony back to its former glory (or as close to it as possible).  ^.^
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2016, 09:11:17 PM »
Personally, I feel like a pony is only "past the point of no return" if it's actually like...missing HUGE chunks out of it, like legs are totally missing or someone's cut chunks out of it maybe. Even that's not a total waste, though, as I know many people are VERY good with sculpting materials, and if someone considers the pony "baity" then they'd be using sculpting materials to customize it anyway, so why not just restore him or her?

I haven't started cleaning up my own ponies yet, but every pony that passes through my hands will be fixed up to some extent before being sold, traded, or given away - just because I'm afraid that if I send a grubby pony off to someone else, they will consider it "bait" and totally destroy it to customize  :blush: :huh: To me, knowing that I did my best to save a pony (especially a G1) is invaluable. I have said before on other threads that I don't agree with customizing G1 ponies, but the practice makes me especially uncomfortable if people are doing it just because they think they can get more money from a custom. When you start ruining vintage ponies just so you can make a buck, I would have a real problem with that. They're not a renewable or infinite resource, and even the ponies who seem common now will eventually become HTF and rare if everyone keeps customizing them without a thought; not everyone has every pony (even the ones you might think everyone already has), and I hate to think that someone might end up wanting say, Peachy or Sundance or Lemon Drop or the Kellogg's baby - but will not be able to find one ever, because they've all been turned into customs of OCs or customs of ponies that are currently HTF  >_<

I'm not talking about customizing ponies to make a profit. I'm talking more about not losing money. Even if there was a readily available substitute for using G1s there will always be ponies that are just beyond help unless you are a more charitable soul than most.

there are always lots of other people who would be more than happy to bring the pony back to its former glory (or as close to it as possible).  ^.^

Then why is a wingless Yum Yum still sitting in my trade thread? I haven't gotten a single offer on her and she has been there for over a year now. I'm actually not really wanting to customize her since she is fine other than her wings but I don't want to keep her without her wings so she just sits. I can't get rid of her with just a minor flaw so imagine if she was actually in baity condition.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 09:19:11 PM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Shimmer Mist

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • Also likes transforming plastic robots
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 11:30:19 PM »
No matter how you go about it, it's gonna be costly because the materials you need for a restoration and a custom both cost a lot in general. If that bottom dollar and not loosing money is the only concern I suppose a custom is the better way to go but I'm still very pro-restoration. Maybe fixing her up might cost more but why not return her to her former glory anyway? This is a thirty-year-old toy that isn't getting any younger. Sure a near-mint is cheap now but what about further down the road? There will be a point in time that there aren't any more "5 dollar commons" for older pony generations. I consider them like antiques at this point. Sure it might cost a bit to fix it up but think of it as an individual piece as opposed to a bunch of dollar symbols. A restoration means that at the very least it still retains the essence and identity of the pony. Customs are very lovely and I will not deny the artistic labor and love that goes into making one but as far as a collector market is concerned I think a restoration could hold more value in the long run.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:33:17 PM by Shimmer Mist »

Offline Featherwurm

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Featherwurm Graphics
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »
It's just fun for me.  I enjoy the challenge.  I don't collect heavily though, so it's mostly just little side projects for the fun of it.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:54:37 AM »
I don't restore ponies, nor do I bait them. In the past I have rerooted ponies and repainted symbols and such, but the bait in question has generally been bald and symbolless before I got to it. So in that circumstance I am not convinced they are any pony at all any more.

I have my twitches about pony flaws but I am always wary about baiting ponies who I feel are reasonable. I don't customise any more, though, so I tend to sell them on and let someone else decide (or let my sister adopt them, which often has happened in the past).
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 09:56:54 AM »
It would be nice not to have to worry about cost, but unfortunately, many of us have strict budgets to what we can spend on things we enjoy, and money spent on fixing up ponies we don't want is money we can't spend on ponies we do want, you know?

I *have* to think about that before doing any extensive work on them.  I don't have a job right now, so I can't waste money fixing up a pony I won't be able to get out of what I paid.  I have probably 100+ baity G1 ponies in my shed, and by baity, I mean anything from completely faded symbols, mismatched heads, age spots, pen marks and hair issues.

Do I *want* to sell them as bait?  No, not really, that's why I have so many of them, haha!  Am I going to have any other choice? No, not when I need the money.  Getting $1-5 each for them is more realistic then spending money I don't have, in the hopes they'll be worth more.  They will get a quick going over as far as 'can these marks come off with acetone or magic eraser?' and 'will conditioning and/or straightening their hair help?', because that's all I CAN do for them.  Once in a while I'll customize a pony, but shoot, once I do, I can't seem to let them go! :P
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline buddyboymama

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 10:13:19 AM »
Unless it was a rare/HTF or sought after pony, I would say it's not worth restoring for sale. I would sell a common pony as-is and leave the decision up to the buyer. While I am amazed by the beautiful customs, I don't think I'd have the heart to customize a G1.

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 11:43:36 AM »
Once in a while I'll customize a pony, but shoot, once I do, I can't seem to let them go! :P

Same. I don't think I have ever been able to sell a custom yet. If it's just sitting there isn't it better for me to change a pony I wouldn't want to keep into something I want to keep?

The worst tho is when I can't sell something but I don't feel right customizing it. I don't want a wingless winger because I think they are ugly without their wings. But nobody else wants her so what can I do?

Av by Moonflower.

Offline ghouldilocks

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Rainbow Stable
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
Spoiler

I'm not talking about customizing ponies to make a profit. I'm talking more about not losing money. Even if there was a readily available substitute for using G1s there will always be ponies that are just beyond help unless you are a more charitable soul than most.

there are always lots of other people who would be more than happy to bring the pony back to its former glory (or as close to it as possible).  ^.^

Then why is a wingless Yum Yum still sitting in my trade thread? I haven't gotten a single offer on her and she has been there for over a year now. I'm actually not really wanting to customize her since she is fine other than her wings but I don't want to keep her without her wings so she just sits. I can't get rid of her with just a minor flaw so imagine if she was actually in baity condition.

I feel you on the idea of "oh it's so much money" - I don't make much money at all and I currently live with my parents because I'm deeply in debt from student loans, so believe me when I say that I get that. But I feel like with any hobby, you're losing more money than you make. If all you're doing is collecting, you are spending money without making any back; if you do model kits, you're spending money without making any back. If you paint mini-figures for games you play, you're spending money without making any back.

Hobbies generally aren't about "not losing money" - I kind of feel like if you're able to make any kind of money back from a hobby (not talking profit, just talking about breaking even here, or coming close) - you're pretty lucky, as that is just a side bonus. Now, if fixing up ponies isn't part of the collecting hobby for you, that's fine - but again, there are lots of people for whom that IS an enjoyable part of the hobby.

As for the wingless flutter in your trade thread, maybe you'd have better luck advertising her in the For Sale thread (not sure whether you've tried that or not already). I mean, glancing at your trade thread, your want list is mostly doll stuff and then G1 Sparkles and Glow n Shows - not many people are likely to need Yum Yum and also have the things you want, and people who don't have things to trade might not even bother looking in those threads to have noticed that you'll also accept offers to buy. I know that before I had items that would be available to trade, I never once looked in that part of the forums.  :shrug: I don't have Yum Yum, and none of my Flutters have wings anyway, so I've already been eyeballing the repro wings as a future purchase....so really, if I'd seen her listed in a Sale thread within my budget, I'd have been likely to send a pm. I've no idea what she goes for, though.

ISO: ITALIAN PRETTY PARLOR

(formerly known as ClawleenMeowlen)

Offline Wardah

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2016, 01:45:59 PM »
Spoiler

I feel you on the idea of "oh it's so much money" - I don't make much money at all and I currently live with my parents because I'm deeply in debt from student loans, so believe me when I say that I get that. But I feel like with any hobby, you're losing more money than you make. If all you're doing is collecting, you are spending money without making any back; if you do model kits, you're spending money without making any back. If you paint mini-figures for games you play, you're spending money without making any back.

Hobbies generally aren't about "not losing money" - I kind of feel like if you're able to make any kind of money back from a hobby (not talking profit, just talking about breaking even here, or coming close) - you're pretty lucky, as that is just a side bonus. Now, if fixing up ponies isn't part of the collecting hobby for you, that's fine - but again, there are lots of people for whom that IS an enjoyable part of the hobby.

As for the wingless flutter in your trade thread, maybe you'd have better luck advertising her in the For Sale thread (not sure whether you've tried that or not already). I mean, glancing at your trade thread, your want list is mostly doll stuff and then G1 Sparkles and Glow n Shows - not many people are likely to need Yum Yum and also have the things you want, and people who don't have things to trade might not even bother looking in those threads to have noticed that you'll also accept offers to buy. I know that before I had items that would be available to trade, I never once looked in that part of the forums.  :shrug: I don't have Yum Yum, and none of my Flutters have wings anyway, so I've already been eyeballing the repro wings as a future purchase....so really, if I'd seen her listed in a Sale thread within my budget, I'd have been likely to send a pm. I've no idea what she goes for, though.

I know hobbies aren't about making money but when one has a limited amount of money one would rather spend it on the parts that one enjoys. I enjoy collecting and expressing myself creatively through customs. I guess for me it's about if I'm going to put effort into a pony I want it to be in a way that expresses myself. Painting by numbers is just boring.

As for Yum Yum I do have a lot of stuff on my want list that is currently in stores and I do mention money as an option. There have been times I have wanted something and bought the thing the other person was looking to trade for. I'm just not sure what she goes for so it's a "make an offer" kind of thing.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline gold.standard

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2016, 05:03:48 PM »
    Personally for me, any "bait" pony I get, I usually get with the intention of restoring them to the best looking condition I can get them. Cost doesn't matter to me, since I plan to keep any that I work on. Any that I plan to keep automatically get their washers removed and a good scrub down and touch ups as needed. Any SS with terrible flocking get deflocked tho. If its just dirty, I'll try my best to wash it. But, like I said, I try to get them to the best looking condition, and a Deflocked pony looks better than a flocked one with heavy stains and missing patches. For me, its about giving the pony another chance. Just because its not mint doesn't mean its a bad pony and doesn't deserve any care.
  I personally don't care too much for customizing g1. I'll do custom rehairs on a pony if its bald and I don't feel like rehairing it with its original colors (and even that is rare for me).
 However, I do looooooooveeee g4 customs into g1 if they are done well!! I plan to do a couple myself in the future. Once I catch up on all my g1 restore projects lol
I love art and ponies so much!!

Currently seeking ponies: Galaxy, Dewdrop Dazzle, Flitterheart, Twinkleshine, Sweetie Swirl, Sweetpop, Cherry Treats, Buttons, Baby Lucky Clover, Swirly Whirly, Tutti Fruiti, Sweet Clover

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2016, 08:34:01 PM »
I clean ponies (wash, scrub, condition) to the best of my ability but I don't restore.  I just don't have the time nor the knowledge.

I don't really take into account how much money or time I put into the cleaning process (though perhaps I should.)  I assume it all evens out in the end and I hope that ponies go into the hands of collectors.  :)

Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2016, 10:41:40 PM »
Once in a while I put a couple ponies who aren't that sought after or are in so-so condition on eBay in small lots.  Usually lots of 4 because I can fit 4 ponies in a large bubble envelope.  I start the bidding at $4 and auction them off.  That's what I'd do if I had a lot of ponies like Yum Yum.  I figure they are either going to fill in the gaps in someone's collection or are getting bought by people who want ponies for their kids to play with.  It's possible some of them get customized, but if that's the case, well, it's out of my hands at that point.

Also, yeah, I would suggest advertising Yum Yum on the sales board.  I never look at the Trade board at all because I prefer to buy outright, and I just assume that's not an option with Trade posts so I don't bother looking at them.  I think a lot of people are like that.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2016, 06:08:30 AM »
I don't restore ponies I don't intend to keep because it's not usually worth the effort to me (or money if I would have to buy supplies to do it). Plus, some people don't like restorations, so I never know if restoring is even going to help me sell it.

That said, I think this also depends on how we're defining "restoring". I clean all ponies I get, remove marks and stains, sunfade, and sometimes even trim already cut hair to make it look a little neater, even if I'm going to sell them. I've even custom-"restored" ponies I intended to sell (ie: alternate rehair for a pony who's original hair is entirely gone or severely damaged and crumbling, entirely new symbols based on the old ones that were missing/rubbed off) but only when I have an idea that I really like myself. Otherwise, I'd rather just re-sell them as-is.

In terms of money, I agree with the people who feel whether or not to customize isn't just a simple value-comparison. Even if I can in theory get more for it, I prefer to keep as much of the original pony's...integrity?...as possible, if that makes any sense. Hence my primarily customizing/restoring only details that are entirely gone already. For my own collection, for example, I'd rather have a pony who's fading-pink hair is white than one that's had her faded hair entirely replaced (re-dyed might be acceptable to me, but I have yet to see any in person), and I'm not going to do anything to a pony I want to sell that I wouldn't do to one I was keeping. But I also may have some more freedom to not worry too much about the cost of my hobby vs cost of re-sale since I get almost all of my ponies in lots at thrift stores for way under their collector's value, and even reselling a few tends to make back a lot of what I spend in the first place. So saying "hobbies just cost money" isn't entirely how it works out for me.

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2016, 05:34:23 PM »
Once in a while I put a couple ponies who aren't that sought after or are in so-so condition on eBay in small lots.  Usually lots of 4 because I can fit 4 ponies in a large bubble envelope.  I start the bidding at $4 and auction them off.  That's what I'd do if I had a lot of ponies like Yum Yum.  I figure they are either going to fill in the gaps in someone's collection or are getting bought by people who want ponies for their kids to play with.  It's possible some of them get customized, but if that's the case, well, it's out of my hands at that point.

Also, yeah, I would suggest advertising Yum Yum on the sales board.  I never look at the Trade board at all because I prefer to buy outright, and I just assume that's not an option with Trade posts so I don't bother looking at them.  I think a lot of people are like that.

Yeah, I basically don't look at the Trade forum if I'm looking to buy; most people are looking for specific items, not cash! :blush: I always feel bad PMing a "for trade" seller asking if they'll sell, it feels like it's imposing on them, even though logically it probably isn't.

My feeling is - your pony, your choice, obviously! Heck, if you own a MIP Rapunzel, it is your legal right to rip her open, hack off her hair, light her on fire! :P However, that doesn't mean that the collecting community will necessarily appreciate that, so if you do choose to do something like that, I wouldn't post about it, unless you wanna end up tarred and feathered. ;)

That said: I do my best to restore/clean any pony that comes into my hands, if it even seems slightly remote that they could be fixed. I am a huge pony fan, and that includes cleaning up and restoring them! However, I do also enjoy customizing ponies that are too far gone to be saved or restored. So how do I make that balance work? For me, personally, I don't customize to sell - I customize for myself. (But I do appreciate the people who create gorgeous-enough work that it will command a high price!) Do I want a bald headed/butted (LOL) pony sitting in my box, or do I want to give her a fresh new look? Who would I enjoy in my collection more, Bald Peachy or Blue Peachy? I make the judgment call on every pony in my baitbox, and sometimes they are too far gone, and sometimes I try to fix them up.

It's a tricky moral call, and I think every collector approaches it differently - which doesn't make anyone wrong, per se. Just different! :)
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal