collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When isn't it worth it?  (Read 2809 times)

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
When isn't it worth it?
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:24:07 PM »
I personally feel it isn't worth it to restore a pony to exactly how it used to look when the materials and time that would go into it are worth more than the same pony in minty condition. If that's the case into the bait pile it goes. I know for some restoration is a "labor of love" but what about when just the materials are worth more? So what is your threshold?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When isn't it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 07:31:07 PM »
I think it's a personal choice. If they need more work then they're worth you can restore them for personal reasons, but customs are beautiful and in order to make them some ponies need to be baits.

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:38:06 PM »
For me, even a Peachy gets cleaned up if it a)won't need rehairing, and b) most of the marks will come off with either magic eraser or acetone.

If it needs sunfading, I usually don't, and if it needs rehairing, I usually leave that decision for someone else. :)
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline Noxxbunny

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 07:45:29 PM »
If I did restore ponies, the cost vs the value wouldn't be a factor to me. Not even a passing thought. I only work on things I strongly want to work on. I pretty much only do "passion projects", so I would probably start a restoration with the expectation that the materials would be more than the value of the pony itself. So I don't really have a limit or a line I draw.

Offline Mirnyj

• Siamese PurrPony
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • A house is not a home without a siamese cat
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in finnish)
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 03:26:54 AM »
I've never even thought of it that way. I consider restoring ponies part of the hobby, and hobbies tend to cost money. Passing time rehairing a pony or seeing the progress on sun fading even if it takes time (time is money too), is more of a "i'm having a good time" value than "I'm going to sell this pony" value.

instagram ~ facebook ~ online store

Offline ponyqueen

• Trade Count: (+92)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • "My, Earth really is full of things." -King of All
    • View Profile
    • Etsy
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2016, 05:59:54 AM »
Time. So much time and so little to do. Wait a minute. Strike that. Reverse it. Thank you.

:heart: Did I forget to leave feedback? Please pm me! :heart:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 07:23:09 AM »
I've never even thought of it that way. I consider restoring ponies part of the hobby, and hobbies tend to cost money. Passing time rehairing a pony or seeing the progress on sun fading even if it takes time (time is money too), is more of a "i'm having a good time" value than "I'm going to sell this pony" value.

This sums it up pretty well for me too :)

Offline Sweet_Stuff

• C.Storm Certified Pony Genie
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2016, 08:26:31 AM »
If I did restore ponies, the cost vs the value wouldn't be a factor to me. Not even a passing thought. I only work on things I strongly want to work on. I pretty much only do "passion projects", so I would probably start a restoration with the expectation that the materials would be more than the value of the pony itself. So I don't really have a limit or a line I draw.

Same here..

Offline Tak

• Lost in the clouds Unicorn
  • No Transactions
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 08:36:27 AM »
I unfortunately don't have the skill, or ability, so I do the best I can and then pass the others along. I already gave away nine that needed more than I could give to someone to restore them.

Offline brighteyes

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • ~Insert Coin, Get Pony~
    • View Profile
    • Brighteye's Notebook
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2016, 09:07:29 AM »

This sums it up pretty well for me too :)

This is my view as well.  I really enjoy fixing up ponies and since I collect with my daughter and she likes to dress them up and pose them in playsets I don't really even want super prefect mint versions of the ponies because I'd feel terrible if they were damaged so I usually sell these on.  Also, since I buy most of my collection in lots, there is usually something wrong with each pony that needs to be addressed before they join the heard.  I find cleaning, defrizzing and even rehairing to be relaxing and I'm always researching new methods to make our collection ponies look their absolute best.  However, if I plan on selling a pony, I will only clean it and do my best to tame any frizz.  I feel like it is up to the new owner if they would like to restore beyond that.
Many thanks to LordBlumiere for my wonderful avatar  :lovey: Blog  Adoptable Refs

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 09:22:46 AM »
I'm not comfortable boiling down restoration / customization to a cost-benefit analysis, to tell you the truth.  You could probably get more money from customizing a MINT Peachy than for selling her for $5, but you would be destroying a toy that survived over 30 years, and which is only "common" and inexpensive because 1) My Little Ponies were crazy popular and 2) My Little Ponies are extremely durable.  It seems a little unfair.

The reason I think only truly beat up ponies should be customized isn't because they aren't worth as much, it's because they're past the point of no return as far as restoration goes.

I also fully understand someone not wanting to bother to restore a pony, but that doesn't automatically mean "so go ahead and customize it" either . . . There are other options, like selling the pony to a collector who is fine with "as-is" ponies or giving the pony to a child.  (I would be reluctant to give a mint or even good condition G1 pony to a child unless I knew the kid wasn't destructive, but if the pony is really that beat up, what is there to lose . . .)
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2016, 11:33:27 AM »
I guess I should have specified when it is a pony you don't want to keep. If it's a pony you want to keep then maybe putting love into it might be worth it but it seems pointless to pour all that time (I don't count sunfading as even tho it takes time it's not like you are actively involved) into a pony that you would only get pittance for. That's not even counting materials. Like if you already have hair that isn't the original color but it's one that goes well with the pony's colors (since if the body and paint are fine it doesn't make sense to change it) why not make do with what you have on hand and make it into something that you might want to keep? Also if you sell it on there is no guarantee that the person who gets it isn't a customizer anyways.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 11:35:42 AM by Wardah »
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2016, 12:07:14 PM »
I can this from both sides but I have some that are on my list right now currently that "should I give hair to or maybe fix up a bit.." I really think they might do better if I were to fix them up. On the other hand, I don't know if I want to restore a pony I will get rid of later either. Someone else might take the pony and restore it anyhow. Or maybe do a partial restore and just let others fill in the other gaps. Im going all directions with this topic sorry.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 12:09:47 PM by SkyCakes »

Karebearcntdwn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2016, 12:51:53 PM »
I am usually never in a rush when I'm restoring ponies, so usually I can buy washers or paint or glitter a little at a time. With things like flocking that I cannot buy from a store close by and readily, that I make sure to buy enough that will span across more than 1 or 2 ponies. Hair however.... that is a totally different story lol.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2016, 01:17:41 PM »
Typically it's not the value of the pony that determines restoration for me, it's the severity of the flaws. Cut short/irreparably frizzy hair? Nope, I can't rehair, time to pass it along. Tail rust/yellowing/marks Sure, I can deal with that. Though, I have yet to find a particularly valuable pony in bad condition, so my perspective might change then.
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal