collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When art tools and pony hair care collide..  (Read 246 times)

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
When art tools and pony hair care collide..
« on: March 06, 2014, 01:54:44 PM »
So...

I had a few ponies (some fakies, some McD's ponies) with aggravatingly frizzy hair that no amount of conditioning or boiling water would fix. I was browsing the forums searching for info on smoothing out frizzy hair, and kept seeing curling irons, hair straighteners and flat irons being brought up. However, aside from shampoo, conditioner and brushes, the world of hair care products is a strange and foreign realm to me (I was very sensitive to touch as a kid, so hair-brushing was a real ordeal for several years).

Then, I suddenly remembered something that I'd bought at Michael's a few months ago -- the Walnut Hollow Versa-Tool:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It's primarily used for wood-burning, but it can be used for a variety of other artistic activities as well -- transferring designs onto glass, cutting plastic, soldering and embossing to name a few.

I suddenly realised, "Hey...I have a tool that can be heated up that has an attachment that acts like a tiny iron. I wonder what would happen if..."

Well, long story short, here's McDonald's Poofie Pinkie Pie before undergoing the Versa-Tool treatment:

And here she is after said treatment:

I was pretty happy that this experiment turned out so successfully. Sure, the hair doesn't end up completely frizz-free, but at least Pinkie no longer looks like a shaving brush. I used more or less the same hair-straightening method that's described here, only with the Versa-Tool with its embossing attachment instead of an iron, and it really, really works. Its small size gives me a lot of control, especially on very small ponies. It even helped straighten the crinkly, bunched-up tinsel on a couple of G3s that I've been cleaning.

So if there's anyone out there with a creative streak that doesn't feel like buying a straightening iron just for the purpose of fixing frizzy pony hair, there's a great alternative that can be used for a variety of other things as well. (Sorry if this is coming across like an advertisement, but I've never seen the Versa-Tool brought up on this forum, and I really felt that it deserved to be mentioned.)
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

Offline Poster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Beeeee fliiiiies!
    • View Profile
Re: When art tools and pony hair care collide..
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 03:25:08 PM »
Okay, this looks like just what the doctor ordered for my own McPonies (especially my Sweetie Belle, the poor thing). Thanks for the tip!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 04:11:27 PM »
Nice! What a cool way to adapt something you have to a technique. Pinkie looks much better :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 04:19:32 PM »
WOW! That is cool :)

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 09:18:02 PM »
Thanks, everyone!

Okay, this looks like just what the doctor ordered for my own McPonies (especially my Sweetie Belle, the poor thing). Thanks for the tip!
You're welcome! It may take a couple of sessions to get most of the frizz out, but it is definitely worth it in the end.
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal