collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When is a pony a restore?  (Read 268 times)

PandoraFox

• Trade Count: (0)
When is a pony a restore?
« on: May 26, 2013, 10:35:48 AM »
So, I signed up for the ponydex recently, as it seems a lovely way have an overview of my collection, and a place to keep notes on what cleaning techniques and such I used on which problem and pony for reference later. But as I'm inputting my ponies into the system, I'm noticing the lovely option where I input if a pony is original, or a restore, and I find myself wondering, when would I consider a pony a true restoration? I mean there are several ways to interpret it and I'm curious to know what you all think.

I was thinking you could say, when you've changed or replaced any part of the pony, I mean a rehair would obviously fall under that, or replacing the tail washer or clamp, or repainting part of the yes or symbol,  but does recurling hair or generally restyling it also fall under that? In essence you're not really removing or replacing a part of the pony.
And what about just breaking the neck seal to inspect for problems? Or breaking it to clean mold or anything else which will leave no marks in the end. You are altering the state of the glue on the neck, but next to that you're not removing or replacing anything.
What about general cleaning?

So yes, I'm curious to hear when you would truly call a pony a restoration job.

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When is a pony a restore?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
I guess re-hairing, particularly a pony who's hair is prone to fading (wind whistler) could be considered restoring.
Removing the washer depends on the current state of the washer, if a pony already has tail rust then it could be considered restoring but if a pony doesn't yet have tail rust but you remove the washer and ziptie the tail anyway to me is prevention.

I remove heads to get rid of the tail washer on ponies that need it. I don't know if just removing a head to look for mould and such would be classed as restoring.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 11:10:01 AM »
To me, cleaning is different than restoring. So like you said, restoring would be rehairing/repinking or repainting (or even more difficult things like resculpting a broken horn or a chewed hoof). I guess recurling counts too, as that is something I feel should be disclosed before you sell a pony. Same goes if you used a straight iron on super frizzy hair, because in my experience, the hair will look and feel better but it won't be the same as factory-silky hair.

Washing a pony, detangling hair, opening it up and removing a rusty washer...these aren't really things I count as legit restoring. I mean, I don't think you should have to tell a buyer you washed the pony before selling it.
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 02:21:17 PM »
I agree with PinkRosedust. But I would also admit to being quite strict on this description - if anything at all is added, removed, changed on the pony which changes him or her from their original condition then I consider that a restore. Be it as complex as touching up a symbol or as simple as adding a couple of strands to a forelock.

However, I also think it can be a little subjective but as long as any changes are disclosed when selling then I think you are entitled to start the restoration line wherever you are happiest.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal