collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: When they ask you why you collect...  (Read 1467 times)

Offline teacher316

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
When they ask you why you collect...
« on: April 10, 2013, 08:07:04 AM »
Sometimes I get anxiety dreams if I feel nervous about something. I've never had one that's related to ponies though until a couple days ago. I dreamed that my sister was asking me why I collect plastic horses. I totally avoided the question and tried to change the subject!
I woke up feeling like I need to go over what I would say if someone asked me about the ponies. What do you guys say when family/friends ask? Oh and I should add that some family members are a little judgemental:( Any suggestions that would shut them up quickly?

Offline Angellove

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: When they ask you why you collect...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 08:17:48 AM »
I tell them what I collect and ask if they have any toy's from the past.
Everyone at my work has seen or talked to me about my pony/monster high collection.

Some give me the eye. Others tell people about my customs.
I don't let them look down on me.

My dreams is one day I will go to work and get a big box of ponies. :)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:19:16 AM »
You could say they are an investment, as some become worth good cash.

My dad knows I collect and just rolls his eyes and takes it as another one of my eccentricities. My other half doesn't understand what ponies are about but he doesn't have a problem with me collecting them as he knows they are a nostalgia and innocence trip for me. And he's happy to be dragged along to uk ponycon with me.

And thats it other than people on the forums no one really knows I'm a collector, I've had a lot of crap growing up so I choose to keep the collecting to people closest to me, not even my friends know as I just don't want the aggro of explaining my collecting and getting looked down upon. If they find out they find out but as long as the truely important people in my life know and accept it then I'm just fine and dandy.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:24:53 AM »
I have had people from work ask about them. Some of them laugh to themselves while others ask a lot of questions. My hunny was not sure of them at first. He said he thought it was kind of childish, but now he accepts it. He even wants to know what one that I still need and want. It does make me feel good when others like them or think its cute. I do not talk to very many people that live by me know about them. The neighbor kids all think that its awesome when they come over.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:27:31 AM »
I like to be little weird and I always go ahead and tell everyone "hey btw, I collect my little ponies!"  :lol: I just love how differently everyone reacts. I couldnt care less if someone is judgemental about it. Its what I love to do, and if someone thinks its stupid.. Well, more ponies for me.  :P

But if someone really wants to know why I collect, I always say its about nostalgia.  :) And I love restoring. Its awesome to give ponies a second chance!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:00:19 AM by Eldarwen »

Offline Amsel

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://yuuago.livejournal.com
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 09:46:48 AM »
Usually I say they're fun to clean up and restore. True enough - that's one of my main reasons for collecting them. (The other is nostalgia. And they're adorable.)

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
Most people don't know. It's not something (off board) that I talk about. If asked I say it's a link back, to my childhood.  Which wasn't all that great and I literally have nothing from my childhood/teen years (except for three photo albums, my diploma).

So I collect, which is limited to blind bags (limited space) for nostalgia.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »
Nostalgia for me. Ponies were my absolute favourite toys as a kid. I was incredibly attached to them and they meant the world to me. That love still lingered so I started collecting :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:27 AM »
Judgemental people are always going to find something to pick on.
You don't have to explain yourself to anyone.

I collect ponies because I fell in love with the first set of flat foot set I saw on the toystore shelves. I liked them more than any other toy I'd ever seen. Wasn't allowed to have one all those years ago...  Made up for that since then.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:09 AM »
i have them displayed in my house (always have) and on my desk at work, most people just giggle about it, i just tell them straight up that i love MLP and some ask if they are worth anything i usually tell them that some are worth a lot maybe one day they all will be. some people even give me a heads up to where they see ponies. i think the worst i get is when my hubbys friends ask if the collection is really mine or my hubbys...lol but that is just to bug my hubby ;)

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
I collect ponies because I love them and I like to collect. My collection is from ponies to pvc figures, resin kits of anime and game charaters. My family is very judgemental, and  sometimes they roll their eyes, or say something like "Grow up" But the funny thing is that my dad collects music Cds, my older sister collects cat figures and the middle one paints a lot of jewelry boxes. And my response is "It´s my money! Did you prefer I bought drugs?!" I really get angry and want to scream, leave me alone!

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:43 PM »
I collect ponies because I have a soft spot for cute things, and always liked MLP since I was a kid. I blame g4 Rarity getting me back into ponies. xD I also like having things on display and taking pics of them, same with my MH collection.

I don't really like to tell people what I am into or what I collect because of how judgmental some of them end up being. Even though I never say anything bad about their hobbies (unless it was life threatening). And they are quick to blame it on my OCD, which drives me nuts to say the least. ^^;

Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline cyberunicorn

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • show the wind how to fly
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 12:04:55 PM »
A couple of people know I collect in real life (not counting family) and and when they asked why when they first found out I simply replyed "why not?" if they cannot come up with a good answer 1 up to me. and if they have a bad answer like "its childish" I just relpy thatI enjoy it. Luckly neither of them did and have to face it I have quirks.

Saying that If anyone did have a problem with me I can stand up for my self as I am far from a girly girl.  :devious: (when I want to be)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 12:07:50 PM »
I just give them a simple "Because I like them."  That's all that needs to be said. I certainly don't do it because I hate them! LOL

If someone is going to get judgmental over it, it's their issue, not mine.  Why must I justify my love for colorful little horses?

What I get tired of being asked is why I don't sell them if they are worth is as much as I say. Did you not just hear that I collect them? I'm one of those suckers that will pay an outrageous price for one. XD
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »
What I get tired of being asked is why I don't sell them if they are worth is as much as I say. Did you not just hear that I collect them? I'm one of those suckers that will pay an outrageous price for one. XD

Omg, this! When I tell people how much my collection is worth, they always ask "Why dont you sell it?" or "Sell it already".. no! just no! Maybe when im in serious need of money but thats no way to collect!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal