collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: So, about those eyes....  (Read 1432 times)

Offline Kitkumi

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • My life is my story.
    • View Profile
So, about those eyes....
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:34:22 PM »
When you are painting eyes, how do you go about painting the second eye on to a pony? I've been working on a custom now for a few weeks, finally painted her first eye earlier this week and it came out perfect. It's exactly what I wanted.

But now I'm having a very hard time of making myself paint that second eye DX I know that I'm not going to get nearly as close to what my first eye looks like, which is ok, but I'm affraid that I'm -royally- going to mess up.

Does anyone else ever encounter these fears, and anyone have any secret pony-customizing tips for eyes? :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Moonflower and Amenoo for my avi/sig

mana-maiden

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: So, about those eyes....
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 08:46:56 PM »
When painting the eye whites, paint both eyes whites on both eyes, at the same time. When you paint the irises/pupils, do it on both eyes at the same time; when doing the eyeline/lashes, do those on both eyes at the same time... other than that, stop frequently and look at the pony square straight in the face from the front angle of so it's staring straight at you and let natural symmetry aesthetics set off your balance sensors.

Offline Kitkumi

• My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:50:52 PM »
I'll have to remember that for my next custom so I don't end up in this position again lol. Maybe she just needs an eye patch, that would solve the problem XD

Offline Morosan

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://morosan2007.deviantart.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 03:17:10 AM »
lol. an eyepatch could work. hihi.  :lol:

otherwise I agree with Mana-Maiden.
I also like to gently draw the outlines, or at least put little dots as keypoints, with a pencil so that I'm positive the eyes end up on the same level. :)

Thank you Amenoo for my beautiful  avi.

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:45:51 AM »
Good advice!  I often notice one eye turns out slightly better than the other one no matter what I do :P

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 11:28:10 AM »
Oh man I understand that.  I actually love painting the eyes, but I do run into times where the second eye just doesn't match up and it's frustrating! So long as it isn't a FBR, I actually will wipe eyes off and redo them as many times as I need to.

One tip I have for you is to do both eyes at the same time...that way it just gets em done and out of the way!
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

mana-maiden

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 11:47:56 AM »
Quote from: colorscapeart
I often notice one eye turns out slightly better than the other one no matter what I do
That is absolutely 100% true about all eyes; something that is very important in keeping an artist from stressing too much, is to keep in mind that there are A LOT of mass machine-produced Hasbro ponies out there with bat-crazy crooked eyes. On my current project I'm working on, I have a core 7 g3 Pinkie Pie and one eye was so "RE-WERP" that I made a point to completely paint over the eye enough to where I couldn't see original eye at all, to keep myself from making the same mistake, lol!

The same thing goes for butterfly wings too; their symmetry is never perfect on both wings. If you study a pair of actual butterfly wings, there's always a imperfection that makes them not the same, but they're still beautiful.

Offline TickledPink

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+98)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 11:52:35 AM »
That's kinda the fun thing about real life though, hardly anything is perfectly symmetrical, and I rather like seeing things that don't look like they were churned out of a factory. Gives them more charm. :)
The weirdo formally known as ImmortalPanda

Offline Kitkumi

• My life is my story.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Lol, I've seen some of the things that the Hasbro machines turn out!

Thanks to everyone here I decided to stop letting my pony intimidate me and tackled that second eye.... I like it better than the first! They aren't exactly the same, but like ImmortalPanda said, they have a nice charm about them. I was just scared that I was going to completely mess up her entire head by painting a -really- bad eye  XD

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal