collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Taobao/Ebay Finds - Master Thread  (Read 146502 times)

Minty Starshine

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Taobao/Ebay Finds - Master Thread
« Reply #195 on: October 17, 2013, 04:38:45 PM »
She was called "Spring Fluttershy" though and didn't even come with a bunny pet, but instead a flower in a bucket. Easter was never used in any description of her or the title of the toy.

They could have called her "2014 Chinese Pinkie Pie" instead of making her specifically about the year of the Horse.

What I guess I'm saying is that I'm a little annoyed that Christmas/Easter are being ignored for this gen while they're making ponies dedicated to the Chinese zodiac. To be clear, there's nothing wrong with doing this and I think the Pinkie is actually a little cute... she's growing on me. I just thought they were steering away from Christmas/Easter because they were too religious in nature, but the Chinese zodiac is also a belief and a part of a culture.  :huh:
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:44:43 PM by Minty Starshine »

Offline U2QueenBee

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2013, 10:24:44 PM »
I wonder if it is partly a small push into the Chinese market?  Considering the ponies are manufactured there and are a big thing on Taobao it may be that she is sort of a special thing for Chinese collectors as well as Westerners and to sort of celebrate the Hasbro/Chinese factories' partnership in making ponies.  Plus, Chinese New Year seems to be pretty popular in a lot of places (not as big as Christmas, obviously, but still popular) - I know Build-a-Bear has done some zodiac plush and cheongsams and such as well.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2013, 12:21:35 AM »
I wonder if it is partly a small push into the Chinese market?  Considering the ponies are manufactured there and are a big thing on Taobao it may be that she is sort of a special thing for Chinese collectors as well as Westerners and to sort of celebrate the Hasbro/Chinese factories' partnership in making ponies.  Plus, Chinese New Year seems to be pretty popular in a lot of places (not as big as Christmas, obviously, but still popular) - I know Build-a-Bear has done some zodiac plush and cheongsams and such as well.

Yes I was thinking the exact same thing.
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2013, 12:46:49 AM »
I wish they did one for the year of the snake too.  I like snakes.  :)  I could see a pony covered in intricate snake designs.  :D

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2013, 01:55:51 AM »
Oops- sorry, you're right- she is old news.  I do think she is a bit too pricey on Taobao.

I really want GIANT Rarity but she is expensive too-  hopefully her price will drop like GIANT Pinkie's price seems to be doing...

I do hope that they do a bunch of them!  A Giant Sunset Shimmer would be fun :D    It does worry me somewhat that GIANT Pinkie has only been spotted in So. America... I hope the giant ponies aren't going to be limited to a few countries.  :P

I really hope the giant ponies come here too... i want a whole set of giant ponies... really would like an applejack just because i dont have the FS of her and that would kind of make up for it. NEED giant ponies, keep them comming and bring them here!

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2013, 02:18:52 AM »

Not true, if they ARE trying to push into the Chinese market. When I was in China, Christmas was mostly a foreigner thing that Chinese folk celebrated because it was fun to celebrate other culture- the way america 'celebrates' dios los muertos or chinese new year. most people don't really understand it but like the idea of it well enough. In China grocery stores in more westernized areas hang up some frilly wreaths and a few fake trees but not a single one of my Chinese friends ACTUALLY knew anything about Christmas. I had one Chinese friend who was very very Christian and actually celebrated christmas- or tried to- and didn't know what santa claus was.
It's just not a very big holiday over there. That or halloween or valentines or any really western holiday.
Whereas during Chinese New year I couldn't sleep for DAYS because of all the fireworks going off all night. Spring Festival, too. Heck, Mid Autumn Festival, Dragon Boat Festival, even tomb sweeping day!

If they're trying to push into a Chinese market without losing their western fans to confusion Chinese New Year is a very good starting point I think because Westerners know what it is and the Chinese, well, actually really really like it.
If they want to push into that market though they're really going to have to put more effort into it. Ponies are REALLY expensive there in stores. Well, markets, too, but those don't relaly count becaues I'm not sure how much money is actually going to the manufacturer. It's not like on taobao where you can get 6 rmb (1 dollar) ponies sent out kuaidi. If you walk into a toy store and DO manage to find some mlp there (very rare) they are almost certainly going to be G3 even now and they are going to run you a minimum of 40 rmb at the absolute cheapest place I found. Most places are worse- especially G4s. I found one place selling G4s near the sun temple park and they were FIVE HUNDRED RMB a pop!!!! That's almost a hundred US dollars!!!!
Some markets sometiems have them but they are usually beaten up pretty badly (I got a bucnh of boxed g3 and just deboxed them, the boxes honestly were so broken anad beaten it would have hurt their value!!) and I never ever found any outside Beijing.

If they  want to push into Chinese market they're going to have a loooot of work ahead of them.
Lots of things that are manufactured in China are nearly impossible to actually BUY there.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

moonlight twinkle

« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2013, 05:04:12 AM »
http://some pony image site/451442
 :lookround:

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »
Aweeeeesome!!!
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 18, 2013, 05:36:55 AM »
I like these new wings much, much better than the new FS ones. But not $50 worth of like.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 18, 2013, 05:39:53 AM »
I like these new wings much, much better than the new FS ones. But not $50 worth of like.

I'm having trouble finding her on taobao... She's 300 kuai? eugh.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 18, 2013, 06:50:55 AM »

Yeah, 298  :shocked:
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Offline Draikinator

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 18, 2013, 07:38:40 AM »

298!! Gosh. for 298 kuai I could eat for a week in beijing. 0_0

Offline Navi

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 18, 2013, 10:03:39 AM »

298!! Gosh. for 298 kuai I could eat for a week in beijing. 0_0

I think at some point the Taobao sellers started looking at what new/prototype ponies go for on ebay.. >_<
 :heart: Minty! :heart:

Seeking Petite Ponies (trade/wish list)
Formerly known as navichan.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #208 on: October 18, 2013, 01:20:35 PM »
I really LOVE this new Fluttershy!!!!  Fluttercorn lol! I am going to attempt getting her for my collection as I love Fluttershy!!! Im diggin the new wings and the bigger eyes.

Cherry_Sunset

« Reply #209 on: October 18, 2013, 05:02:47 PM »

Totally clear Princess Twilight Sparkle (except for eyes and Cutie Mark)

Fakie G3 Earth Pony Fluttershy plush

Donkey G4 fakie plushies
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 05:13:28 PM by Cherry_Sunset »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal