collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How to make your own Pony Display Shelves  (Read 577 times)

Offline zombienixon

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Pink Pony Addict
    • View Profile
How to make your own Pony Display Shelves
« on: July 31, 2014, 07:34:55 PM »
I'm not sure if this exactly counts as arts and crafts, but this is the best place I can think of to put this.

Also, this is a reeeeeeeally long post.

Around April, my collection started to outgrow the shelves above my desk (and even then I added on another row for blind bags) and I was putting them anywhere I could find the space.  When that ran out, I had to stuff it all in the closet until I could find some kind of shelves to put them all on.  Unfortunately, I lacked the floor space to put in another bookcase, and I could find nothing wall-mounted to satisfy me.  At that point I decided to get what I was looking for, I'd have to do it myself.

I figured a few others here may be able to use something like this, so I've put this up so that someone might be able to make their own display shelves, as well.

For the record, I'm no carpenter, and this is really the first I've ever done with any kind of woodworking, so if I can do it, I'd wager you could, too.

For the most part, this can be done with hand tools, common power tools, and readily available items you can get at a store.

To make my shelves, I used:

1- 2'x4'x1/2" Sheet of particle board (I would recommend 3/4" thick board, as found in Lowe's)

1-100ct box of #6x1" Flathead Phillips wood screws

1- 4'x2'x1/8" wood sheet (used as a backing board, I can't remember the specific type of wood)

1-  Package of 10 #10 Screws and Wall Anchors (includes drill bit)

3- Cans of spray paint

As for tools, you'll need: a straightedge and a triangle or a T-square (all of which can be found at any office or art supply store if you need one), a level, a power drill, a phillips head screwdriver, one or two small C-clamps (which can be had for $5 or less each), and finally, a circular saw. 

For the last one, if you don't have one or know anyone who has one, a handsaw could be used, but it is extremely tedious and difficult to cut shelves with any degree of precision with one.

Next, on to actually making the shelves.

First, you take the sheet of particle board and mark up the pieces which need to be cut out.  Here are the drawings I used on mine for reference.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is the side view of the shelves showing the ends and the blocks the shelves rest on.  Since my collection is only G4s at this point, and is used to display mostly standard sized brushables, the dimensions are tailored to them, so you may want to alter those dimensions depending on what you are displaying.

(FYI: The TYP is short for "Typical")

This is how I laid them out. I used drafting software, since it's quickest for me, but I would just use something like graph paper to sketch out a layout to scale.

Once you've marked up your layout, cut out the pieces.

Next, you mark up the outlines of the shelf rests on the ends.  Remember to put the shelf rests on opposite sides of the end pieces, because I didn't  >_< and had to redo it. Then you fasten each shelf rest into place with two wood screws.  Make sure that the shelf rests on the opposite side aren't too far off in height from each other, or your shelves won't sit level. Try and align each shelf rest to the top of the outline and to the outer edge.

Once you have that done, unscrew the shelf rests from the end pieces and then fasten the shelves to the shelf rests. (It's much easier to fasten the rests to the shelves and then attach them to the end pieces with the previously drilled holes).

Use the C-Clamps to hold the shelf rest to the shelves while screwing them together.  Try to drill into the middle (thickness-wise, not lengthwise) of the shelf rest, otherwise the layers of the particle board will separate around the hole, and leave an ugly bulge. It is for that reason I recommend the 3/4" sheet of particle board (it was also cheaper, despite being thicker :huh:)

Then, cut out your backing board, and remember to include the width of the end pieces as well as the width of the shelves.

Next, you want to place the holes for the screws that mount the shelf to the wall.  Remember to place them so that they are within easy access for a screwdriver. Mine are inbetween the 2nd and 3rd  and 4th and 5th shelves, with six in total. Once you have the mounting holes drilled, then it's time to put in the wall anchors. I did this the other way around when I put mine in. I don't recommend it.

Once you've figured where on the wall you want your shelves to go, make a horizontal line using your level corresponding to the top of the shelves. From there you can make an outline of the shelves to help you place the backing board more accurately. Then use the holes you drilled in the backing board as a guide to drill the holes for the wall anchors.  You can have someone help you, or just place the drill bit through each hole, make an indention in the wall, and mark each indention with a pencil as the spot where you need to drill.

Once the holes are in, you can push in the wall anchors.

Now, it's time to paint your pieces.  Make sure to paint the underside of each shelf for a finished look, because, again, I didn't.

Once you've let them all dry, then we attach the shelf rests back to the end pieces. From there all that's left to attach is the backing board to the back of the end pieces. And as with drilling into the shelf rests, try to drill in to the middle (width-wise) of the end pieces to avoid having the layers of the particle board separate.

Now that you've got your shelves all painted and put together, all that remains is to put it on the wall.

This is probably best done with two people, but it is possible to do by yourself. I held the shelves in place against the wall with my head while I used my hands to put in the first screw to the wall anchors :lol:.

Once you're done, fill it up with ponies and admire the results.

Here's how mine ended up. Behold its glorious mediocrity!

But in all seriousness, if you've made it this far, thanks for reading, and hopefully this can be of some kind of help to someone.

EDIT: I forgot to mention how much this all cost. The 1/2" Sheet of Particle board was around $10 (Lowe's had a 3/4" sheet for around $8), the wood screws were $5, the backing board was $8-$10, the pack with the wall anchors, screws and drill bit was another $10, and I used around $12 worth of spray paint. So, you're looking at around $50 in total. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:32:16 PM by zombienixon »

Offline rosierjay

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+152)
  • MOC Mimic
  • you can call me Rosier
    • View Profile
    • Customs and stuff i'm selling
Re: How to make your own Pony Display Shelves
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 07:54:43 PM »
that is awesome!!
may have to bribe my brother into making me one. that is so sweet!!!

and seriously. thank you for all the work to post this, couldn't have been easy. *hugs*

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 06:02:08 AM »
perfect! oh wow great work, the different levels make it great for seeing everyone!

Offline SpookyTrees

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 06:05:36 AM »
Wow it turned out great!!!! Very ambitious!
:biggrin: Looking for G1 Starshine, Bubbles, Lickety Split, Posey, Tickle, and a few more :biggrin:

Offline Judhudson

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 06:37:33 AM »
I already have so many projects on my to-do list, but I love it regardless!  Nice job you did!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 01:33:24 PM »
That looks amazing, each pony is now beautifully displayed! Thanks for sharing the tutorial, I'm sure it will be helpful for anyone planning to make their own shelves. Which reminds me, I should finally do something about my display cabin and get some extra shelves...

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 03:12:19 PM »
Oh wow! This is a fantastic tutorial! Thank you so much for sharing. :)
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline ZennaBug

• Doodlebug Art/Adopts Mod
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • ZensDoodles Instagram
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 09:03:29 PM »
The shelves look awesome! Thank you for sharing your directions, for those of us who are less architecturally inclined. :) That's an excellent idea and the post must have taken you forever.

:heart: Avi and Sig by me -  @ZensDoodles (Instagram) :heart:

Offline PinkiePosh

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • previously pinkiepony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Marketplace Store
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 07:09:35 AM »
These are so nice! I love the two different levels!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal