collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Possible G5 artstyle?  (Read 18902 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Possible G5 artstyle?
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2021, 04:03:19 PM »
Will wait and see what Hasbro will show. Your right, they do look like 3.5/filly funtasia.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyAmalthea

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2021, 04:14:27 PM »
Filly Funtasia was my first thought, too.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2021, 04:36:21 PM »
i am surprised that after the AJ conundrum from the 2017 leaks, they put an orange, ponytail-ed earth pony front and center. :silly:

also just realized those aren't sheets, it's the blanket/comforter folded over. oops!

Eh this time she has pink hair so she's more like Scootloo.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2021, 04:49:54 PM »
First thought when I saw the image earlier today
"Ok not a huge fan of the faces, but kind of cute"

Though now
"Ok I get a fakie vibe now"

I think what still bother's me is the tiny muzzles
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Shadowperla

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2021, 04:56:28 PM »
They gonna eat me D:

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »
I’m looking forward to seeing other images.  I hope they translate into toys better than the images look.  I was trying to figure out what it is about the faces that is off putting.  Right now I think it is that they have even more human shaped faces, less stylized than g4 or Pony Life, but then they made the necks longer.  So it looks like a human head on a horse neck.  The teeth don’t help.  Has mlp ever had this much teeth?

I’m ok with the color designs of the characters but I’m not a fan of the different colored body parts like the wings, horn or hooves.

I’m curious how the color gradient is going to translated to the toys.  Having gradients in the hair would be cool but I just don’t see Hasbro doing it on the regular toys.  It’ll probably end up being stripes instead.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2021, 05:07:41 PM »
*hides from the uncanny valley of pony*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SunPony

• Trade Count: (+49)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2021, 05:11:05 PM »
I really like the orange pony!  Getting some Sparkleworks vibes from her...
I wish their faces were more horse-like in shape, that's my only complaint just from looking at this image.  Although I admit the picture on the pillow with them all having the same eyes and same expression and walking right at you is kind of scary XD  That's down to the artist's choice more than the character designs, though.

Sunset, that's a good question about the gradients on the toys.  Hopefully we'll get some answers later this week. 
Thanks to Shimmlight for the new avatar image  :biggrin:

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2021, 05:17:44 PM »
Does the comforter say "Everypony can make a difference"?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2021, 05:19:53 PM »
I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 22, 2021, 05:25:58 PM »
Huh. I guess I don’t feel very strongly about these one way or another yet. Count me in for another who first thought of Filly when seeing these designs! I like Filly toys though, so that’s not a bad thing!

I like the feathered hooves a lot. The designs are mostly cute I guess? The ones on the bedsheet look better than the pillowcase and comforter. I do wish they had more defined snouts though, I really don’t like the teeny tiny noses we’ve had for the past couple gens. It worked better on Pony Life which was super stylized IMO, it looks kind of out of place on these designs. The colors are also....underwhelming. I feel the toys will be even more underwhelming. Is Hasbro actually going to invest in the ombré hair the unicorn has? Or the slight gradient on the hooves? I guess we’ll see how that translates soon.

I’ll reserve judgment for now until we’ve seen more art of them and the toys. I didn’t love G4 or Pony Life at first either, but they grew on me.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2021, 05:32:16 PM »
imagine if we get like a super dramatic she-ra-esque story line with these playskool lookin ponies. actually that'd be amazing i hope they do that

You just described my perfect MLP gen. :D

I like them! Big improvement over G4’s style, IMO. The feathered hooves and gradients are gorgeous. The short muzzles... Well, I was expecting that. It’s in keeping with what’s trendy in kids’ shows ATM. I’d rather have G3-esque heads, but I’m not too bothered. There aren’t any good side-views, so it’s not clear how it’ll actually look in three dimensions.

That orange pony reminds me of Sparkleworks, including the symbol!  :lovey:
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Mrs. Prospector

• Brush N Grow Pony
  • I write essays about horse-shaped hunks of plastic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2021, 05:43:55 PM »
Wow, I certainly wasn't expecting this today! I'll have to see the animation and toy designs to make a final judgement, but I'm honestly not impressed as is. The designs look very baby-ish? Not necessarily saying it's a bad thing, but they really do look like characters from a preschool show; the style reminds me a lot of Jake and the Neverland Pirates.

As others have mentioned, the faces do look humanlike and mildly creepy, it's the forward facing eyes and the lack of snout, which I was really hoping G5 would bring back. Also they have the skinny human neck going on, and they appear to (although it might not end up being the case), a full head of hair instead of a mane going down their necks. A little thing, but I'm not a fan of how the unicorn's horn has those weird swirl patterns on it instead of spiraling like unicorn horns traditionally do. I really hope they don't end up with names like "Izzy" though. We don't need human names to go with the human faces!

That being said, there are some things I do like, I'm glad they didn't end up with the overdesigned, race-swapped mane six seen in the old concept art, and that the characters are the three classic races instead of the non-pony species seen in that leak. Also, I really like the pegasus' accessories. She's got a kind of flapper look, which I like. Also I like the orange pony's colors. Reminds me of Sparkleworks, one of my favorite G3's.

All in all, it could've been much, much worse *cough* Pony Life, Newborn Cuties. I do hope these ponies have a lower jaw though...

Offline Nemesis

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2021, 05:49:15 PM »
I know one of my hopes for G5 is that it goes back to how it use to be. Super targeted to girls and less controlled by the fandom. I feel like this is a step in that direction.
Being influenced by the fandom is what made G4 good.  I hope this doesn't end my like of the series.

That’s a very divided opinion. For me, G4 started going downhill when every single episode started pandering and giving winks/nods to the adult fans. Finally, we ended up with the infamous Daring Do body pillow scene.  :facepalm: Not everything fan-influenced was bad—we saw favorite characters like Nightmare Moon being spotlighted, and we certainly got some cool merch aimed at older viewers—but the shameless pandering became increasingly unbearable to me as the series wore on.

I’d rather see it returned to its roots as a show aimed at children, that some adults happen to enjoy for its innocence and magic (and nostalgia, of course). :shrug:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 05:52:47 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2021, 05:55:06 PM »
Does anyone else get G1 SS Buttons vibes off the unicorn? Same species, colors very similar, button cutie mark...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal