collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do you straighten tinsel?  (Read 2947 times)

Offline mopthebunny

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Oooh, who lives in a pineapple under the sea?
    • View Profile
How do you straighten tinsel?
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:00:13 AM »
I have a couple of ponies with very frizzy tinsel and would like to know how to smooth it out a little bit (they are g2's). I've seen some people say they use hair straighteners, but I don't have any.

Any tips would be helpful.

Thanks!  :hope:
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:59:47 AM by mopthebunny »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature by LordBlumiere

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: How do you straighten tinsel?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »
Depends on what kind of tinsel you're dealing with.
For the clear iridescent plastic kind, there's not much that can be done.  The stuff is horrible to work with and fries if exposed to heat.  I've had some limited success in smoothing it out by carefully stretching it, but the process is time consuming and rarely worth the trouble given that the "evil" tinsel shows up on G3/G4, which aren't exactly hard to get in minty shape.

For G1's, they actually have metallic tinsel that responds decently to flat ironing.  Never tried it myself but others have had success with it in the past.
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline mopthebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 10:24:54 AM »
Depends on what kind of tinsel you're dealing with.
For the clear iridescent plastic kind, there's not much that can be done.  The stuff is horrible to work with and fries if exposed to heat.  I've had some limited success in smoothing it out by carefully stretching it, but the process is time consuming and rarely worth the trouble given that the "evil" tinsel shows up on G3/G4, which aren't exactly hard to get in minty shape.

For G1's, they actually have metallic tinsel that responds decently to flat ironing.  Never tried it myself but others have had success with it in the past.

What about G2 tinsel? the one that I have with the worst tinsel is Princess Crystal .

Thanks! :)

Offline Rika_of_Thunder

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 10:26:16 AM »
I think I've heard some people boiling the pony's hair and then setting it out flat to dry, never tried it myself so I don't know if it works D:

I always use a flat iron for the thicker, colored tinsel. You should browse your local dollar store and see if you can pick one up cheap, they do wonders for pony hair, tinsel or not!

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 10:52:37 AM »
I don't know why people always say you can't straighten clear tinsel.  I've done it for years.  O.o  You just have to use a boatload of conditioner, as you'd do for any normal straightening project anyway.  Straighten it WITH the hair, don't separate it out.  Reapply conditioner as needed. 

Offline Baby Sugarberry

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2013, 11:19:28 AM »
Most of the comments about people attempting to heat treat clear tinsel have ended in less than desirable results, just from my casual observation?  Perhaps your iron is just the perfect temperature or something.  Or perhaps there are various batches, some fry worse than others?   Or it could be the conditioner.  Afraid I don't know what kind of tinsel G2's have. 
G1 Wishlist  It's the final countdown! Looking to purchase the last few G1's for my collection - Watercolor Baby Sea Ponies Foamy, Misty & Surfy - Red Roses - SHS Sweet Sundrop - Springy - Teeny Tiny Snookums (#2)

Offline balletpot

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Avatar: Childhood Bow-Tie in a new outfit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
I've only dealt with G1s so I don't know about G2s but as said earlier, if it's clear tinsel (e.g. Princess Royal Purple) nothing works. I don't use heat, instead I stretch messy tinsel by using a pair of pliers. I place the pony between my knees, separate the tinsel from the hair (the hair has been washed and conditioned) and pull with a pair of small pliers while holding the tinsel by the base with my other hand. I got the idea from this guide: http://www.mylittleimposterpony.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=offtopic&thread=362&page=1

Offline Anitas_Mom

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2013, 06:13:16 PM »
I just cleaned up some hair on a couple of G2's (with tinsel).  All I did was wash the hair and use conditioner, then "set" it in small rollers to dry.  I let it dry for about a week, then removed the rollers.  The tinsel curled nicely along with the hair. 

Handmade Plushies For Sale | Please PM me for Commission Information

Binny

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:35:44 PM »
I take each piece between my fingers pinching tightly and run them down, stretching it out to the end (Note that it CAN break this way, you have to be very careful) this should leave you with straight tinsel right up to the ends, which are now a little bit longer than the rest of the hair and can be cut off carefully (again, piece by piece) to match in length.

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2013, 10:11:15 PM »
I have always used conditioner and a curling iron on a very low number. I have not had any problems with clear myself.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
If you dont have a flat iron then you can use a normal clothes iron but it doesn't work quite as well. You need to saturate the hair with water and conditioner and you need to ensure you have a layer of material [I use a pillow case] between the hair and the bottom of the iron. Also ensure that the material you use is damp. Use a couple of different pieces of material as after a few swipes of each section of hair, the material will get too hot - you want to swap it out for another damp piece of material throughout the process to ensure the hair and tinsel do not heat too much.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline mopthebunny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2013, 01:35:57 PM »
Thanks for all the tips everyone!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal