collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Kind of bothered...  (Read 4988 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Kind of bothered...
« on: June 07, 2012, 11:06:48 PM »
I was looking at the up and coming thread and there are so many reissues of the mane 6. I really wish instead of coming out with a new Twight Sparkle or Rainbow Dash that they would come out with new and different ponies each time. I guess it's because of the show, but we didn't see Firefly or Gusty produced over and over with every new wave. I'm just a bit scared that it will turn into a core 6 thing like the G3.5 line and become boring with the same characters. It killed my interest in ponies for a long time :(

Sorry if this has been talked about before. I was just trying to make out my want list and having to skip over the mane 6 over and over. Love them all, but don't want an army of them :yikes:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline PinkRosedust

• Trade Count: (+117)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • How bout i do anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: Kind of bothered...
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 11:32:44 PM »
I know what you mean! Variety is the spice of pony collecting (or something like that lol). I think we already have a "core 6" thing going, as we have from the beginning of G4, though I personally am pretty sure we don't need to worry about them whittling down to ONLY those 6. I mean, look at all the random ponies we have already, plus what we know is coming, plus all the different blind bag characters - many of which were first brushables. I guess we'll just need a little more patience than we needed with G3! =P
MLP sales Here Jewelry on Etsy Vintage toys on Etsy Toys and things on ebay

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 02:31:46 AM »
I completely agree - the continual release of the original 6 is frustrating! The joy of all the pre Bore 7 line was the number of different characters.

The problem is although the marketing theory of using a cartoon/comic to promote a toy line has been about since deregulation in the 80s, it has evolved dramatically in the last 30 years and taken a new slant in the last 4 or 5 years. You can see in most toy lines [including established favourites like Barbie and new favourites like Monster High] that by keeping a focus on core characters who need to "always be available in stores" and simply adding the odd additional character on this is the way toys are now marketed.

It means the manufacturer has a "safe" core which retailers understand and know people will be looking for. Part of it as well is how fast kids out grow or become fed up with toy lines - yes some children are wonderfully careful with their toys but many may want MLP this year and Barbie next by which time there is a fresh audience who want ponies but wont have wanted or been able to have them previously therefore keeping the core cartoon characters on shelf makes the most sense.

Annoying? Yes...But the way its going to continue? Probably...
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 02:33:48 AM »
I already accepted G4 is pretty much "core 6 + some extra ponies". As long as those "extra ponies" keep being released it will be ok. Though i'm bothered by how they put no effort what so ever in those re-releases. The G3/G3.5 core ponies at least had different cutie marks.
And poses..we really need more poses.

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:36:18 AM »
I both agree and disagree.  I am no fan of seeing the same ponies again and again.  However, with every repeat there are also new.  So much so, I'm having trouble keeping up.  I don't think there is any concern to be had about new toys.  Along with all the standard new ponies coming up, we have the collectors editions coming out this year, which includes things like Zecora.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 08:52:35 AM »
Also keep in mind that each and every time an episode of FiM airs, some new kid is seeing the show for the first time. And when they see the show and fall in love with it, they want toys. It's no good for Hasbro if the main characters of their show are only in stores a part of the year. The kids need to be able to find their favorite character after they see the show, and that means keeping the Mane 6 on shelves as much as possible.

I will admit I miss the diversity of the G3's, but I'm glad we're getting SOME new G4 characters at least. I was a very broke college student 2003-2006 most of the time thanks to the G3's! lol.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Firehooves

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
I just wish the other character toys were actually minor charcters/background ponies in the show, behind the mane six. And that they would get some development, instead of all these non-toy characters just popping up as gust/supporting characters.

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 09:19:21 AM »
Also keep in mind that each and every time an episode of FiM airs, some new kid is seeing the show for the first time. And when they see the show and fall in love with it, they want toys. It's no good for Hasbro if the main characters of their show are only in stores a part of the year. The kids need to be able to find their favorite character after they see the show, and that means keeping the Mane 6 on shelves as much as possible.

That is a really good point!  I hadn't thought of that before.  Having the same 6 re-released over and over again can be a bit annoying for collectors, but I bet the kids really enjoy being able to find their favourite character whenever they go to a toy store.  It seems like this last wave (or current wave) has been lacking in the "additional characters" department, but this next wave really seems like it's going to make up for it in a big way!  I mean, we're going to get Shining Armor, Princess Cadance, Heartstrings, Cherry Berry, etc etc etc.  Even Granny Smith and Gilda blind bags!  So even though I completely understand the frustration of the same 6 being re-released constantly, I really think Hasbro's really trying to keep both us and kids happy.  :)

Offline BeefyDia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 09:27:10 AM »
This is something that has been bothering me for ages too D: Actually when I first heard of the G4s being released, I was hoping for a change from the late G3s and G3.5's Core 7. It bored me to death and it really annoyed me to see the same ponies over and over every time I hit the stores. I always felt the whole point of My Little Pony was to have a whole range of colourful ponies in every colour, not the same fillies with different clothes. What's the point in that? Sorry if it offends anyone who enjoy the line, but I feel that they might as well just sell separate clothing and accessories sets from the ponies if they are just going to issue the same ponies over and over. I feel that that would probably lessen the likelihood of people losing interest in MLP (for e.g, people like me!)

Well enough of that digression. But I guess the reason that they keep re-issuing the same ponies over again is that they want to follow the show closely, knowing how popular it is. But still, I really hope that they'll be producing more ponies in different colours. How I miss those days!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 09:31:59 AM »
I already accepted G4 is pretty much "core 6 + some extra ponies". As long as those "extra ponies" keep being released it will be ok. Though i'm bothered by how they put no effort what so ever in those re-releases. The G3/G3.5 core ponies at least had different cutie marks.
And poses..we really need more poses.

Everything you said.  :nod: You might get different accessories with re-releases, but otherwise there's really nothing new.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

ZettaMomo

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:45:30 AM »
I think the thing that bothers me the most about it is when I want to get a set for the accessories, but I don't need a third Fluttershy.

Offline StarDragon

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • I'm a My Little Pony mommy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 09:48:24 AM »
I'm bored by the core 6 as well. I liked the colors of ponies in previous gens, it felt much more like collecting. Now I only buy the single pack ponies that are different in each wave since I've already got the wave 6.

Gen 4 is cute, the way it is designed (and the show is nice too). But I'm already looking forward to a new gen that sports more variety and colors in their toyline.

Folly

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
I TOTALLY agree.  I understand the marketing idea behind it and it makes sense to me and I know a lot of bronies might be upset if the mane six weren't so common.  But I already have all the mane cast, and so far with the exception of Plumsweet and a few others (Ploomette comes to mind primarily because I love peafowl), the expanded universe ponies have been pretty... dull :(

That said, I'm SO SO SO looking forward to Lyra and Trixie and all the collector's edition ponies!!!!!!!!!  Not even because of the show!  I LOVE Lyra's color scheme, and Scratch's glasses and that yellow pony that I can't actually remember the name of?!!  Omg I'm so excited!

What REALLY bugs me though... is we only have two G4 poses, and one of them is reserved for playsets for the most part ;___; One of my favorite parts of G1 is how lively and unique each pony is, but with G4 they just... stand there... the raised hoof pose is slightly better, but I would LOVE to see more poses like G1 had.  There were even sitting ponies!!!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 10:07:04 AM by Folly »

Offline dragonlady

• Master of Organized Chaos
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+191)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 11:20:05 AM »
What REALLY bugs me though... is we only have two G4 poses, and one of them is reserved for playsets for the most part ;___; One of my favorite parts of G1 is how lively and unique each pony is, but with G4 they just... stand there... the raised hoof pose is slightly better, but I would LOVE to see more poses like G1 had.  There were even sitting ponies!!!

This! I wouldn't mind so many of the G4 Mane 6 if they were in different poses. I would love to see rearing/ playful poses!

Offline rtattles

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+39)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Rtattles' Blog
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
Actually the G1s had some staple ponies. Blossom and Cotton Candy were sold as FF and then CC, and they eventally mde it to the Mail Order list with the Collector's Set, and eventually rehashed with other ponies. Just that Hasbro didn't throw them out in the same consistency as what they do with the Core 6 now. I am not complaining since they still put out new characters and the G3 releases were WAYYYYYY too much and too quick. I kind of like having Rarity in regular supply since she makes such a great bait for so many G1-G4 customs, and her going into rarity will simply be UNFABULOUS!

Inventorising my collection @ http://rtattles.wordpress.com/
Formerly known as DebonaireThundercloud

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal