collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice from vector artists?  (Read 298 times)

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Advice from vector artists?
« on: June 06, 2022, 07:20:01 AM »
I need to do some simple lineart graphics for work, the quality should be high enough for printing. I'm thinking vectors would be ideal, but I've only worked with raster images before. I've played around with the path tool in GIMP but other than that I'm a complete novice.

Does anyone have recommendations as to the most beginner-friendly programme for this? I could download either Inkscape or CorelDRAW but I'm not sure which one would be better. I've read some comparisons online but am a bit overwhelmed by the information. ^^; I know we have a lot of skilled digital artists here so I thought asking for advice before getting started wouldn't hurt. What's your favourite software for vectors?

For reference, the drawings will be very simple (circles, lines, grids etc.) and I'm sure I can get away with raster if needed. I don't have a whole lot of time to spend on this but of course it would be fun to learn to make some simple vector illustrations for other purposes, too!

:cookie: and thanks in advance for any help! 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Advice from vector artists?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2022, 09:19:22 AM »
I've not used CorelDRAW. I prefer Inkscape for vectorwork. I actually learned from watching how to vector FIM style ponies, lol. They're fairly complex and round but most of the tutorials also give you a brief overview on how to use Inkscape itself.

My GF insists that Illustrator is always superior but I dislike it. :P I think Inkscape is nice, lightweight, and perfectly fine for my hobbyist work. I've done vectoring in Photoshop (although never exported as an SVG, mostly just because my own linework is very messy and it keeps my art looking clean), Inkscape has much more vector-specific functionality.

There's a few tutorials on some DA group that I find fun to read through, they have good tips, but may be a bit specific for character vectors.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline NanoRuby

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2022, 09:22:20 AM »
I'm biased towards Illustrator since it's what I use at work and for personal stuff, but I've heard good things about Inkscape. Never heard of CorelDRAW before, I'd have to do some research before recommending that.
Honestly if it's just circles and grids you could probably get away with using pretty much any vector tool, but if you ever want to do more complicated art then I would recommend finding a program you particularly like.

This website has a game of sorts to help practice manipulating anchor points and curves. It also has practice for combining and subtracting with simple shapes, which is also super useful in vector work, especially for really simple stuff. Both games are at least worth trying once, if just for the practice! https://bezier.method.ac/

If you want help with anything more specific feel free to shoot me a message! I might not be a super big help but I do have a decent amount of experience with vectors so I'll try my best ^^

Is it Halloween yet?
For Sale/Trade | Wishlist
Sig by the amazing starscout!

Offline Griffin

• Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Thanks so much for the tips, TLTR & NanoRuby! I suppose I'll try Inkscape since it's free and apparently liked by many.

This website has a game of sorts to help practice manipulating anchor points and curves. It also has practice for combining and subtracting with simple shapes, which is also super useful in vector work, especially for really simple stuff. Both games are at least worth trying once, if just for the practice! https://bezier.method.ac/

This game is super useful, thanks! And shows just how much of a beginner I am :blush: 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2022, 03:56:24 AM »
i do believe clip studio paint lets you paint in verctor lines instead of pixel lines ? Maybe that is a nice option?
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline starscout

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pony blog
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2022, 08:43:28 PM »
I agree with NanoRuby. I recommend Illustrator 1000%. It's very straight forward, easy to understand, and has everything you'll need and more. Inkscape, I hear is a good free alternative, though I've never used it. I just really hate its UI.

i do believe clip studio paint lets you paint in verctor lines instead of pixel lines ? Maybe that is a nice option?
CSP is wonderful for raster illustrations, but I would not recommend it for vectors. The paths can be very wonky, atleast compared to other software.

art commissions non-MLP sales post

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal