collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Customizing model horses?  (Read 546 times)

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • Trade Count: (+100)
  • MOC Mimic
  • SalliCostumer on DeviantArt
    • View Profile
Customizing model horses?
« on: July 28, 2013, 11:24:55 AM »
(Mods: Sorry if this belongs in the Off Topic section, please feel free to move it :) )

Does anyone here customize model horses also? I've always wanted to and have some baity Breyers and an airbrush but I'm sure the acrylic paint I use for my ponies is not going to work on them. I'd love some advice and pictures if you have them! I love customized horses :D I am dying to add to my army of Saddlebreds with coloration I love.

Also, have any of you mohaired your horses?

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Customizing model horses?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:35:35 AM »
Hello - *waves* yes I collect and customise breyers and other model horses. I use acylics. I have made one attempt at rehairing! It was stressful and I got mohair stuck to everything. I would go to Model Horse Love forum or one of the other big model horse forums (model horse love is UK based but theres members from all over the world :)
The forums have good tutorial pinned for members to browse for customising and mohairing :)

x

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
Hello - *waves* yes I collect and customise breyers and other model horses. I use acylics. I have made one attempt at rehairing! It was stressful and I got mohair stuck to everything. I would go to Model Horse Love forum or one of the other big model horse forums (model horse love is UK based but theres members from all over the world :)
The forums have good tutorial pinned for members to browse for customising and mohairing :)

x

oooOOOOooo thanks and hi!!! :D

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 01:18:52 PM »
I have a done a few a while back.  I sent all my Breyer bodies to Diamond for her projects :)  She's quite the Breyer enthusiast.

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
I collect them (GC/Breyer/Collect-A/Schleich), but I'm not a customiser. I do have a couple of GC bodies if anyone wants them though, they're the classic mare and foal - they are from the flocked line and are un-salvageable, with matted hair, but I couldn't leave them at thrift.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 06:40:20 PM »
I collect the GCs and Breyers (want PSA Sooooo bad) but haven't had a good chance to sit down and try redoing them.  If anyone knows the rehairing process for a Grand Champion, I'd love to hear it!  Breyers, though, I haven't tried yet.  Intended to, but I couldn't get the leg fixed on a Clydesdale I had, and he kinda...

Well.  I was baking sculpy onto him to mend his leg and remold what had been broken and lost (ears and some parts of the leg itself)  He ended up melting just a bit in the oven and his leg fell off anyway.  He tilts now, and I'm considering naming him Ilean.  :blink:

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 07:07:03 PM »
I customized an old barbie horse with my acrylic paints and sealer, worked just fine for me :3

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 09:56:38 AM »
I collect the GCs and Breyers (want PSA Sooooo bad) but haven't had a good chance to sit down and try redoing them.  If anyone knows the rehairing process for a Grand Champion, I'd love to hear it!  Breyers, though, I haven't tried yet.  Intended to, but I couldn't get the leg fixed on a Clydesdale I had, and he kinda...

Well.  I was baking sculpy onto him to mend his leg and remold what had been broken and lost (ears and some parts of the leg itself)  He ended up melting just a bit in the oven and his leg fell off anyway.  He tilts now, and I'm considering naming him Ilean.  :blink:

Ilean!!  :lmao: so cute! (Is PSA Peter Stone?)

Thanks Alatariel! I watched some youtube demos yesterday and now I am thinking I will try acrylics. I need a dapple grey saddlebred.

Offline Diamond

• Hostess of the Wine Cellar
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • Time will tell a wonderful tale if you listen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 06:09:33 AM »
You can fling me a PM anytime if you want some help, I have been at it since 1973.  I do not air brush though, I am an oil painter.  I have won many, many championships and year end awards with my work though the years as well as doing carousel critters from Breyers. 
:like: me on FaceBook - Crocus Cottage Creations

Thanks to SdS for my avie

Offline Salli

• The Heir of Ravenclaw
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »
WOW Diamond! I looked at your stuff on your FB page. AMAZING! I'd love to see more of your horses, do you have them online anywhere?

I'll definitely pm you. :)

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
I did Breyer horses and Schleich horses at one time. I really enjoyed doing it and had a lot of fun. I stopped due to my ex and I was always told that I needed to do this and do that. I no longer wanted to share my work cause people were always picking at my work. I thought that I did a good job.

Oh well that is the past. 

I have used acrylic paints. The kind that you can buy in the craft store. I just watered them down and little lots of layers of the color till I got to were I wanted. Have to be careful not to get brush strokes though. I wish you luck :)

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:11:21 PM »
Avene - maybe you were sharing your customs with the wrong community? Did you join a very critical forum?

On the forums I go on, theres a real mix from professional customisers to young teens just starting out. I have never seen anyone be negative when someone posts a photo  of their latest custom. You can always  find something positive to say after all about any custom. Constructive criticism is offered if asked for.  If you enjoyed doing something -please dont let critical people stop you! I would love to see some of your customs!

x

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal