collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anybody do reborn and silicon dolls?  (Read 1683 times)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
Anybody do reborn and silicon dolls?
« on: July 25, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
I’m new to reborn dolls.  Like, TOTALLY new.  I know nothing.  I found a doll I liked that was inexpensive as far as these dolls go and I  bought it discovering after the fact that fantasy type dolls (which is what I got) are not very popular with the hardcore collectors and I’m having trouble finding a Facebook group who will even let me post let alone ask questions!

I want to customize this full silicon doll (add eyebrows/lashes) and maybe a bit more!
Anyone else do this kind of thing?

Or collect reborn dolls?  Would love to see!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2020, 06:20:09 PM by Aadra310 »

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody do reborn and silicon dolls?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2020, 09:41:52 PM »
I don’t collect them.  But I did find them interesting  at a doll show I’ve went to. I had no idea that fantasy dolls weren’t allowed in some groups.  I hope you find a group that can help you.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+244)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • *-* Smart Doll Obsessed *-*
    • View Profile
    • Studio 7th Sanctuary is now on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2020, 05:32:24 AM »
Long, long ago I created the baby girl of my dreams.  :lovey:  I really need to revisit her now that I have the tools to give her skin a softer, more real finish.

I'm sorry you have found little acceptance of your new girl in the online communities. The online doll community as a whole tends to be fickle, cliqueish and very inclusive. One of the things we have strived for here at the Arena is to be All-inclusive and support doll collectors of all kinds!! We love ALL our dollies and hope that everyone will be comfortable sharing what they love.  :welcome:

I personally LOVE fantasy dolls! What kind of baby is she? Human, fae, elf, werewolf, monkey, alien? My gosh I've seen so many different types! :D I would very much like to see pictures of your new reborn baby if you have any to share! If not, I'd love to hear more about her and how you got into the hobby! I have two other babies that I bought intending to reborn but I only ever did Lu. LOL
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 05:37:28 AM by kCherry »

My Etsy shop O Ponies *** My Youtube Channel

Offline Aadra310

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »
kCherry,  Your doll is so sweet!  I love her face and her wrinkly feet!  I'm very impressed that you reborned her.  Am I using that term correctly?  I still know almost nothing!

I actually had an old image of the Babyclon Avatar baby sitting on my computer and, as I was purging some stuff, I found it and just fell in love all over again.  When I looked at the price of that doll, I almost fainted!  Was so very disappointed but I started looking for alternatives.  Stumbled upon the Ivita Avatar baby which is a fraction of the price!  I did NOT know, however, that Ivita dolls are a big "no-no" in the collecting community because they are mass produced and some people say the sculpts are stolen. 
Well, I certainly didn't mean any harm!  It was just a silicon doll that I liked and could afford!  I certainly wasn't going to spend several thousand dollars on a hobby I'm not even sure I'll like!  But, as you say, the doll community is not as forgiving as the pony community so literally no one will talk about mass produced AFFORDABLE dolls.

I hope this fall when my kids go back to school, to try my hand at painting her to give her more depth (assuming you can paint over silicone!  I can't even really get a clear idea on that!).  She also needs rooted eyebrows and lashes.  She has nylon hair just like ponies so I think I might change that.  I like the hair on your baby.  Looks much more natural!

If it goes well, I might splurge and get the boy and have twins!  I've seen some werewolves (now that I've been poking around) and some other really AMAZING stuff.  People are so talented!  I'm envious.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2020, 10:05:30 PM »
kCherry,  Your doll is so sweet!  I love her face and her wrinkly feet!  I'm very impressed that you reborned her.  Am I using that term correctly?  I still know almost nothing!

I actually had an old image of the Babyclon Avatar baby sitting on my computer and, as I was purging some stuff, I found it and just fell in love all over again.  When I looked at the price of that doll, I almost fainted!  Was so very disappointed but I started looking for alternatives.  Stumbled upon the Ivita Avatar baby which is a fraction of the price!  I did NOT know, however, that Ivita dolls are a big "no-no" in the collecting community because they are mass produced and some people say the sculpts are stolen. 
Well, I certainly didn't mean any harm!  It was just a silicon doll that I liked and could afford!  I certainly wasn't going to spend several thousand dollars on a hobby I'm not even sure I'll like!  But, as you say, the doll community is not as forgiving as the pony community so literally no one will talk about mass produced AFFORDABLE dolls.

I hope this fall when my kids go back to school, to try my hand at painting her to give her more depth (assuming you can paint over silicone!  I can't even really get a clear idea on that!).  She also needs rooted eyebrows and lashes.  She has nylon hair just like ponies so I think I might change that.  I like the hair on your baby.  Looks much more natural!

If it goes well, I might splurge and get the boy and have twins!  I've seen some werewolves (now that I've been poking around) and some other really AMAZING stuff.  People are so talented!  I'm envious.

Normally  I am NOT a reborn/baby doll lover, but the Navi ?!  OOOOOOOOOOOOO what a cutie there

I love to look at other people's baby dolls but seriously, if I allowed myself to have one... there would not be just one.  LOL  That's how it works with dolls...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Aadra310

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:20:46 AM »
lovesbabysquirmy, right?!  I am not normally a baby doll person, either!  I kept my childhood baby dolls which is one cabbage patch and a few magic nursery but I was never into "realistic" babies.  I like Monster High and my daughter loves her Barbies and her plastic kid toy babies but I've never had any inclination toward reborns before! 
I do appreciate the crazy amount of talent that goes into them and, as my pony collection is pretty much complete, I've find myself drawn to the fantasy dolls.  But, I think I'll probably only have 1-3 of these. 

I'm glad to have found a "safe space" to talk about this doll!  Hopefully, I'll be able to post more about her as I add improvements! 

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 04:18:19 AM »
LOL I have no idea if reborned is a term or not! Shows what I knows! Hahaa!!

Your Na'vi baby is soooo cute!! I'm not a huge fan of Avatar the Movie, it's fine (although Pandora in Animal Kingdom is just stellar!) but "Avatar Baby" gets my vote every time! :lovey: A Youtuber I watch has a Na'vi reborn and occassionally has it on camera and I've always loved it. So, I did audibly go "Awwwwwwww!" when I saw yours. Does he/ she have a name?

If you are at all inclinded to try to custom your baby further I would very much encourage you to do so! Bringing a baby to life (or in your case More to life!) is a great way to bond! Arm yourself with lots of research and study beforehand. Try as many techniques as possible on test subjects before tackling your reborn. Sometimes you just have to go for it but it's so helpful to have a bit of practice first. I would have done many things differently with Lu if I'd have had some foresight. I had this book and found it fairly helpful, Beautiful Babies: the ART of Reborn Doll Making by Michele Barrow-Bélisle. It's not cheap, but it does hold it's value and you can resell it when you're done (assuming you want to) with little loss.

I'm glad to have found a "safe space" to talk about this doll!  Hopefully, I'll be able to post more about her as I add improvements! 

I'm glad, too!!! :happy: Everyone should have a place that they feel comfortable and happy sharing what they love!!! <3 I certainly hope to see more of your babies here should you decide your Na'vi needs siblings!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 04:21:49 AM by kCherry »

Offline StillandSilent

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2020, 04:29:14 PM »
I don't see myself buying any, but I prefer the fantasy babies.  I appreciate the craftmanship that goes into these, but the realistic ones sit right in the uncanny valley for me

Offline kCherry

• *Arena VIP*
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2020, 07:51:01 AM »
I don't see myself buying any, but I prefer the fantasy babies.  I appreciate the craftmanship that goes into these, but the realistic ones sit right in the uncanny valley for me

LOL This is the prevailing attitude of most people! You are not alone. :D They are definitely an artform that is only appreciated by some. And that's totally cool. :cool:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal