collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Any doll customizers here? Monster High  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Any doll customizers here? Monster High
« on: January 22, 2023, 11:50:53 AM »
Is there anyone on here that does doll customization that could help me with a question? I have used Clay to make non-pony characters from the pony movies and series. I now want to make a Catrina. However I don’t want to sculpt a whole body from scratch. I was thinking I could take a regular doll, and use milliput or similar epoxy clay to sculpt Catrina‘s face onto a doll, then paint her face and re-hair the doll with some gold/orange hair like Catrina‘s.
I know monster high, barbies and other similar dolls would be very tall compared to pony figures, but I saw a Clawdeen doll that looked like she had claws on her hands. I figured this would be a good doll to use for Catrina since she sort of has claws as well.
I also think I may have seen a YouTube video where someone shrunk the monster high doll’s head so it wasn’t so big. I thinking that would be an option for Catrina‘s head.
I have never worked with dolls before, would anyone have any advice for me?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Any doll customizers here? Monster High
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2023, 12:54:56 PM »
I think a Monster High doll would be about the right height compared to a G1 pony actually... looking at pics of my collection, G1 adults come up to about the knees/thighs of an average-size MH.

Have you thought of using a Catwalk Kitties head on a MH body? :o They're pretty cheap/plentiful on AliExpress - might be easier than sculpting over a MH head, CWKs have a similar headshape to Catrina to begin with. I don't have any CWK/MH hybrids myself but lots of people have done it, they look pretty good together. I do have a pic of my kitties with some ponies though! Dunno if that'll be any help to you but I'll stick it under a cut, figure maybe this way you can compare the aesthetics/sizes or whatever.

Spoiler

Catwalk Kitties are the taller dolls on the right, the three in matching dresses off to the left are MHs.

Sorry I couldn't help more ^^; I'm really excited to see what you end up with anyway, I was hoping you'd make Catrina! <3

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2023, 03:53:20 PM »
Cool!  I will google more pics since it’s hard to tell, but do the Catwalk dolls have long nails/fingers?
One of the main reasons I wanted to try a doll base is I hate making hands, 😂 LOL

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2023, 05:15:13 PM »
Catwalk Kitties do have paw hands, I honestly wouldn't bother using the full doll as a custom base though - they're rare/expensive and honestly not the best bodies anyway x) For some reason a bunch of the heads (just the heads!) have turned up for sale in the last few years though, no idea why... I found them on AliExpress for you:

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesale-catwalk-kitties-dolls.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal